Shop Built Wood-fired Boiler .... - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Shop Built Wood-fired Boiler ....

Old 11-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #1

Trade: Building/Remodeling/Sawmilling/Blow Stuff Up Somet
Location: In the Deep South, along the West side of Northern Central East Texas
Rewards Points: 75

Shop Built Wood-fired Boiler ....

Has anyoine her ever done it? It's a simple design I'm looking for. A tank within a tank with a vent going out the top. Lots of welding I know.
I may have to shell out the 5000+ bucks and buy one but I know i can come up with the tanks/large diameter pipes and put my part timer on the welder.
Just looking for someone who may have been down this road. I will be using this for a dry kiln which I have already built the chamber for.
I also see no reason why it can't do double duty as my shop heater.
i have tons of free waste wood from the sawmill.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,794

Re: Shop Built Wood-fired Boiler ....

I have seen a design for one, and scratching my head, don't remember where, but basically it what a double drum wood fired heater kit with coiled copper in the upper drum....maybe 3 wraps...supposedly so there is not a true steam boiler effect, and you get actual heating just like a stove, with the top drum containing the coils....maybe this will work? My only question would be what if you don't need the heat in the shop?

I think I would get info on the outdoor boilers we see advertised in countryside magazine and others and then you could maybe have hot water heat for both as needed. Be interesting what you come up with.

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Has anyoine her ever done it? It's a simple design I'm looking for. A tank within a tank with a vent going out the top. Lots of welding I know.
I may have to shell out the 5000+ bucks and buy one but I know i can come up with the tanks/large diameter pipes and put my part timer on the welder.
Just looking for someone who may have been down this road. I will be using this for a dry kiln which I have already built the chamber for.
I also see no reason why it can't do double duty as my shop heater.
i have tons of free waste wood from the sawmill.
I built a woodboiler that I have inside my barn. Heats the barn and house. Its a 250 gallon fuel oil tank inside a big metal box. (250 gallonsof hot water) Works great. Eats wood. To do it over again I wood make some changes but I'll wait till it rusts out to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 6,838

I have a Tarm wood boiler that I use to run my radiant heat on my first floor. It is really an efficient wood burner. The flame from it is like a gas bolier not like a regular wood burner. Expensive but nice.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

have a homemade one...36 inch pipe inside a 42 inch...fan force air supply..works well but there is room for improvement..am pondering building another.. would like to make more efficient..as i get older would like to cut less wood....lol
Old 01-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

You might want to look into 'The Mother Earth News'. Lot's of good info there.

Advertisement

Albert Einstein