Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Recharge refrigerant (R134)

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  SuperiorHIP 
#1 ·
Can we use Artic Freeze synthetic R134a+ that sell at Harbor Freight to recharge on the refrigerator (Kenmore)?

The refrigerator label indicated that R134 with 4.96oz to be used so I assume that we can recharge any R134 refrigerant either with a regular or synthetic.

Someone at the store said that the Artic Freeze R134A+ is used for Auto but I can be used for refrigerator too as long as it doesn't over charge.

I'd like to get more inputs from experts.

Thanks,
Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I have a bullet piercing value to tap on the processing tube. I tried to change a relay and overload relay protector but it didn't help. The compressor seems running fine as well as condenser fan. I just need to check the freon level by using the gauge. Just need to confirm whether the synthetic R134A+ can be recharged for the refrigerator. Any thoughts?

#15 ·
I replaced the compressor, vacuum all the air out and then recharged refrigerant (R134a) slowly. After reading the low side gauge, it shows 3psi which is expected. I have waited for 10 hours and the refrigerator still not cooling. I did even replaced relay, overload protector relay and filter dryer and still not cooling. Any suggestions? Check Defrost timer?

#18 ·
I would absolutely weight in the charge. I'm no a/c pro (obviously), it took me 3 tries with my truck and finally called my a/c buddy and he said weight it in. The gauges looked good when I charged it but the system is designed for whatever that sticker says the weight should be. Weighted in the charge and while it seeed a little low on the suction side its been problem free since.

#19 ·
That's very interesting...if the weight is off that system is required then it won't cool even though it's not over charge? I don't have a right equipment to weight it. I was thinking the other components could be failed hence the system won't cooling...

#22 ·
I noticed the low side indicted the same psi -20 ( was 3 psi) whether the refrigerator power on or not. I'm hoping the compressor still working as I just replaced it with a brand new one. Not sure why the low side gauge doesn't Change....I did vacuum for half an hour last night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.