Realistic Savings?

Old 05-08-2019, 05:08 AM   #1

Trade: Supervisor
Rewards Points: 18

Realistic Savings?

Ok all lets assume these parameters.
Comments please!

Present system.
Standing pilot 150 btu in weil PCG 6. Test just showed an actual input of 144.
104 IBR
6" flue, no damper, no fresh air in.
Aquastat controlled 15-58 , which is a little bit too small, on the return side only.

Approx 80 gallon black pipe/ column rads
Heat loss is 88k
High limit at 170 (scared to go higher. Lol)

New systems proposed

Weil cgi 119 in 87 IBR*
Power vent. Chimney closed. Fresh air opening. Primary secondary with 2 deta t variable pump circulated zones. Or

GV 90+ 105 in 84 IBR same p/s with 2 delta t variable pump circuits.

Realistic expected savings 10-15 ish % with the CGI and maybe 20% with the GV90+?

Input please!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 03:56 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,186

Re: Realistic Savings?

The GV using outdoor reset, should exceed 20% reduction in fuel usage.

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #3

Me thinks Im being talked into an Evergreen 110

Just might take the plunge.
It really does make sense.

It costs less up front than the GV has controls for 4 circulators, DHW, built-in ODR weighs 200 lbs less etc...

So far considering all in it will likely cost less to install than a gv or maybe even less than a Cgi...good warranty too.

Anyone have much experience with these?
They are pretty new but seems like something easy to install and maintain.

Should I bite that bullet guys?
Been there?
Fourth Gen?

Weil said they could recommend an installer.

Last edited by Kirkhj; 05-09-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,713

To me all boilers are obscenely over priced...

spending 10 grand to save 300-500$ a year?.....

For many the $ would better be spent on lowering credit card debt, or on a student loan....

Run the numbers, any POCO kick backs?/rebates?

It might be cheaper to MOVE, and sell the problem?

My personal take is: I like the "feel" of water heat, but not the dead air...many HW homes seem to hang on to yesterdays cooking etc.....IMHO.

I'd price a conventional HVAC conversion for curiosity.

I'd think about any hot water radiator system could be improved by an 'auxiliary' air handling, even a basic reverse fountain that sucks hot air out the upstairs back down to the ground floor after filtering...
Golden view (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,422

You've already got 10 grand into this in research hours at minimum wage.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:31 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,186

Its a nice unit.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:04 AM   #7

Nice unit eh? Thanks!

They are overpriced. No doubt about that, but seem to be getting better and we like the dead air because of the silence. We are such light sleepers that forced air starting wakes us up. Literally. For me it always did. Having a hydronic heating system especially up here is a no brainer for us. We had a much newer bungalow half the size of this old house, 1980 built and completly redone in 2007 and spent almost as much heating that with a furnace as we do here but the biggest thing is that forced air. It's just not for us. We like our museum. Lol

Moving would not change a thing because we love the old rads and I love restoring them to tell the truth. It's amazing to see something that old have all of its intricate detail brought back to life by your own hands. My wife loves old things (likely why I'm still here).
The only type of forced air that will happen here is mini split, which I can easily do myself given the new precharged systems.

I actually find this hydronic stuff fascinating and in retrospect wish my career path had taken that route. Strange hobby maybe but we all have one of those no?

The probability of the vast majority of that old distribution system that starts with a 5x56" tee and ends with another one just before and after main supply and return being done by me is highly likely unless I lose the ability to do so, simply because I can, have, and want to do it myself. From what that gas fitter who ran our stove line told me about how many thousands I saved doing the piping I have already done, this could turn out to be pretty reasonable but either way hydronics it shall be. Coming in, I had no.idea how involved this could be!

Thanks for the input guys. I will post results from time to time.

Last edited by Kirkhj; 05-10-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,713

When You get get your out side air feed working so your aren't burning heated air to heat water to heat air.....

I'd invest in a ERV, a energy recovery ventilator that remove stale damp air and replace with less polluted outside air but reusing ~80 % of the heat in the exhaust air.

As the grid becomes ever less reliable, what is your plan to heat & light your home during black and brown-outs? or when the gas lines are Nationalized/rationed in an "Emergency"/crisis? What if crazy Bernie gets elected and takes the USA down to Cuba and Venezuelan's Hell on Earth political system?

Long term you'll need some sort of air filtration and or replacement scheme to stay healthy.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #9

Bringing that fresh air is another good thing I learned from this site and I'm liking that erv concept now too makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely look into that.
This install isn't gonna be cheap and unless a crew comes in here its gonna take a lot of time, but it's good to know what will come in the way of future add ons ahead of time.

This house still has the original wood fireplace that isn't up too snuff yet but hopefully willnbe sometime soon. Other than that and a back up generator, no plans.
Luckily we have never had natural gas issues and power outages are rare. We have loads of hydroelectric. So far so good.

Hope that crazy Bernie guy doesn't get in out there. Sounds like a comparable piece of work to what we have. 'm in Canada and we have a real piece of work running our show right now.
Carbon tax and right on our gas bill they charge tax on the carbon tax. Gas went up .20 a litre at the pumps too when that nonsense started in April. This guy is something allright.

Advertisement