Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Programmabe thermostat that allows fan to cycle

17K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  airhealth 
#1 ·
I live in a fairly tight house. When it's very hot or very cold out everything is great because the furnace or AC come on regularly.

However, much of the time, the system seldom runs, so the rooms don't get circulated air. Is there a programmable thermostat that would let me schedule just the fan to run a couple times a night in addition to any heading or cooling demand?

#2 ·
Not what you're looking for, but...

Obviously you could just turn the fan on

More in line with what you want, would be to install an HRV. While the preferred method is to run separate duct work for the HRV, you can tie it into your heating/cooling duct work, and wire it to turn the air handler on when the HRV runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I just had an Aprilaire 8467w thermostat installed with my AC and furnace replacement. It recirculates the air. It calls it "cleaning the air" by turning the fan on throughout the day. I believe you can program it as well.
I had a Nest before today and can't decide which one I want to keep

#7 ·
Most of the high end new electronic stats have this function, I think. I do agree that the HRV option is better though. Not only does it circulate but it removes stale air and replaces it with fresh air. It is also much quieter than using the furnace fan. I'm a big believer in "changing" the air.
An option besides the HRV (which is costly) would be to interlock the main bath fan with the furnace blower and an automatic damper on the fresh air intake. Run it through a timer and have it circulate and change air how many ever times you want throughout the day.
The biggest thing to remember when using the furnace fan to circulate is to always be on top of the filter changes. You would have to replace them more often, obviously.

#8 ·
Dawson Creek. I've been there a couple times. Neat place! Good climate for an HRV. I've installed a handful of them in the sub-arctic (Fairbanks Alaska).

Here in Portland, even new homes (like mine) have plenty of air changes per hour. "Fairly tight house" is relative to others in the area. Heating and cooling costs are still low. The payback period for an HRV is much less than the lifespan of the unit.

So back to the solution of distributing the air so it's not stuffy in the bedrooms at night. Overall the house gets plenty of fresh air, but the two of us plus dogs in a room at night can be a little too much.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll get a Nest. It's gimmicky and if we sell the house it'll appeal to some young buyer.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.