Presure Switch - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Presure Switch

Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Trade: hvac
Rewards Points: 10

Presure Switch

I am working on a Ducane Gas pack, and the pressure switch is not working. Replaced switch, unhooked the 2 wires and checked the switch while the ibm was running. The switch did not close for ignition. Cleaned the port at ibm and checked line for blockage. All checks out but the unit will not run unless the switch is jumped out. Could I have a bad exchanger that is causing a zero pressure difference.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #2

Re: Presure Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by C comfort View Post
I am working on a Ducane Gas pack, and the pressure switch is not working. Replaced switch, unhooked the 2 wires and checked the switch while the ibm was running. The switch did not close for ignition. Cleaned the port at ibm and checked line for blockage. All checks out but the unit will not run unless the switch is jumped out. Could I have a bad exchanger that is causing a zero pressure difference.
Hey there C comfort. So you did your troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that the pressure switch was bad. How did you know it was bad?
You replaced the switch and it still doing the same thing. Did you check the flue? Have you looked at the hx? There is a possibility that it could be cracked.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to cereal killer For This Useful Post:
C comfort (11-13-2010)
Old 11-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,180

Could be bad heat exchanger.

Could be bad inducer, did you measure how much pressure the switch was sensing(a manometer helps for this)?
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
C comfort (11-13-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #4

The burners would light and go off within 10 seconds, so I replaced the flame sensor first but no luck. I could see the plunger on the switch move off the limit switch, but when it shut down the led light was flashing 3 times indicating a pressure swicth problem. Changed switch, checked hose, port, and still kicking out. No blockages were found, but I am going to check the hx today.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #5

Trade: HVAC

You need to look at the squirrel cage of the inducer motor. If it is rusted out or dirty it may not be moving the right amount of air to make the pressure switch.