Low Temperature Ducted Air Sourced Heat Pump.. - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Low Temperature Ducted Air Sourced Heat Pump..

Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 180

Low Temperature Ducted Air Sourced Heat Pump..

I was looking into getting a spec house (in western Massachusetts) certified and using solar with an air sourced heat pump w/ backup propane..

I ran into:
https://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildin..._heat_pump.pdf

Which talks about "low temperature heat pumps" that don't just use heat strips when it gets closer to 0, potentially negating the need for the propane backup, depending on specific model limitations...

My HVAC sub had a few suggestions for air sourced heat pumps, but, they all use heat strips at a high temperature compared to the one in the study..

What brands/models can be recommended that are truly low temp air sourced ducted (not ductless) heat pumps, maybe something that operates low enough that a backup in western MA wouldn't be needed.

Thanks.

Last edited by quantumflux; 02-21-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Business Owner

Trade: Pest & Termite Control
Rewards Points: 140

Re: Low Temperature Ducted Air Sourced Heat Pump..

Be sure to consider a unit that can promptly get parts should something go wrong. Not much savings if a unit goes down and you're on supplemental heat till it's fixed.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to P42003 For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,146

The low temp heat pump in that article failed. The booster compressor was a great idea. But the main compressor had many problems, and the company out of business. Due to the unreliability of the heat pumps.

Geo's are your best be if you really want to minimize aux heat source use. But they are expensive up front to buy and install.

The newer inverter technology being used today has had some good strides. A modulating 4 ton heat pump can be used in a house that only needs 3 tons of cooling. And still provide good dehumidification in the summer. If the duct work is sized for 4 tons.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (02-21-2018)

Old 02-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 180

Unfortunately, I can't justify the cost of a geo, which is why I was looking at air sourced.

The study I mentioned said the system "operated as designed" once several parts were replaced, so, it sounds like the underlying technology works - I just can't find any other companies (since that one is out of business as it was mentioned) that meet the low temp. same specs without using a heat strip.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,146

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumflux View Post
Unfortunately, I can't justify the cost of a geo, which is why I was looking at air sourced.

The study I mentioned said the system "operated as designed" once several parts were replaced, so, it sounds like the underlying technology works - I just can't find any other companies (since that one is out of business as it was mentioned) that meet the low temp. same specs without using a heat strip.
That is because they didn't actually work/operate as designed. Unless your calling failing compressors an intentional design.

Low temp units don't last long, so no one makes one, for any length of time. Due to all the money they lose on warranty parts.

The one in the article was a break off company from another low temp company that also went under as far as I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (02-21-2018)