Heat Pumps In Colder Climates? - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Heat Pumps In Colder Climates?

Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 538

Heat Pumps In Colder Climates?

I had a friend call me today. He bought a house and is remodeling the entire thing. He has oil, no gas on street. Someone told him heat pumps are being used more in colder climates. We in Massachusetts. In my small world it's mostly forced hot air/AC with high efficiency gas furnaces, etc. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 1,353

Re: Heat Pumps In Colder Climates?

Maybe get a few HVAC guys in, to assess and give their best recommendations?

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescraft View Post
Maybe get a few HVAC guys in, to assess and give their best recommendations?
You're correct. I should have posted in HVAC. I'm not on here very much. Maybe a mod will move it over.

It's an interesting topic. I was hoping to get some feedback and a discussion going. I know people are doing geothermal Heat Pumps with the ground or water but I think some of those are just too expensive. Thanks

Last edited by Sleepinggiant; 05-14-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 112

it is doable - they are getting to be able to run in colder climates like yours though you can get nailed on "emergency" heat
I would have him check out Energy Vanguard - they do proper design & sizing which not many companies truly do to see if it is an option. You can also contact say Mitsubishi directly to see whom they might recommend locally
Sleepinggiant (05-14-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTech View Post
it is doable - they are getting to be able to run in colder climates like yours though you can get nailed on "emergency" heat
I would have him check out Energy Vanguard - they do proper design & sizing which not many companies truly do to see if it is an option. You can also contact say Mitsubishi directly to see whom they might recommend locally
Thanks for info. I definitely should have posted in HVAC. I was hoping to get more interest. I thought it was a topic worth exploring? Anyone's guess these days what will ignite the masses! Maybe I should have titled it Tree-Fiddy!

Old 05-16-2019, 12:22 AM   #6
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,304

What's always sounded like a good idea for heat pumps in extreme climates is a ground source set up, using the consistency of the earth for a heat exchanger, running a bunch of pipes down.

Depending on how much it would cost to set up and how high the utility bills are it might be worthwhile looking at, at the least you'd get green points.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
Sleepinggiant (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
What's always sounded like a good idea for heat pumps in extreme climates is a ground source set up, using the consistency of the earth for a heat exchanger, running a bunch of pipes down.

Depending on how much it would cost to set up and how high the utility bills are it might be worthwhile looking at, at the least you'd get green points.
Rio, i agree! I've been researching this in the evenings, it's very interesting. The geothermal method of running a pipe loop 6' under the surface seems to make the heat pump viable for zones like 5 and 6 in the US. The ground is always around 55 + -. At 55 the heat pump can easily exchange the temp in winter or summer. The equipment is becoming very efficient.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sleepinggiant; 05-16-2019 at 05:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepinggiant For This Useful Post:
Rio (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 AM   #8
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,304

From what I've read about it you can run 'em shallow or run 'em deep, I guess depending on your site and the ground itself. If it doesn't cost too much to do so the payback probably won't be too long and once it's done you're golden, nice stable goldilock temps keeping the heat pump running at maximum efficiency and minimum effort.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
From what I've read about it you can run 'em shallow or run 'em deep, I guess depending on your site and the ground itself. If it doesn't cost too much to do so the payback probably won't be too long and once it's done you're golden, nice stable goldilock temps keeping the heat pump running at maximum efficiency and minimum effort.
I'm in the northeast, looks like 5' or 6' where I am. If you're building a house or adding an addition might be worth considering since your already tearing the ground up. Having enough land to make it easier helps. When I find out the cost of the pipe loop material I'll post it here. Can't be too much $

Last edited by Sleepinggiant; 05-17-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,691

You split up the ground loop for resilience, if you loss one loop with five, you've still got 80% if your heat sink till repair season....

Sometimes the well style of heat sink can take advantage of water movement increasing heat absorption, but the less efficient shallow fields might be repaired cheaper then the well style are replaced....

run the # very carefully, some schemes promise cheap off hours power and require two service meters and very large water heater storage tank for a family.

And there "might" be some well water issues if you have a well or a neighbor does near your "heat" sink field(s). Not very likely if the pumped fluid is plain water...

don't forget to have some sort of heat source that will work with out power or have a N. gas hook up or L.P. tank and Genny for windless/sunless blackouts coming soon...

Advertisement

Rio (05-18-2019), Sleepinggiant (05-18-2019)