Heat Pumps - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Heat Pumps

Old 04-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Heat Pumps

I've got a job coming up where there will be a two storey addition on the front and a single story addition on the back.

Crawl space only. The existing home has a heat pump in the attic which services the existing home.

I'm looking for recommendations for putting a small heat pump in the crawl space for the two story addition, and then a small unit for the rear addition.

Front addition is 1600 sq.ft. total. (two story) Rear is 400 sq.ft. total.

I will have my heating guy investigate and recommend and do all the work, I'm just looking to expand my knowledge on this and see what's out there.

These will probably be air to air exchangers.

I will need to upgrade the electical service to handle them and there is natural gas to the home. (currently just for a fireplace)

Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 3,892

Re: Heat Pumps

Air to air heatpump as your only source of heating with our extreme climate? This isn't Vancouver.

Nat gas and furnaces are so cheap in Ontario I couldn't imagine heating any other way. When I replaced my A/C I didn't bother getting a heat-pump because the payback was not worth while.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
HVAC Tech

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 10

A central heating and cooling forced air system for the whole house possibly? Upsize the gas line to accommodate a high efficiency gas furnace. Do they have a budget in mind? Are they set on the heatpump idea completely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Pro

I was thinking gas furnace, but also need air conditioning. The heat pump would give both but admitedly expensive with hydro.

There is no fixed budget. I'm no expert on HVAC systems that's why I'm open to any and all posible ways.

One consideration is that I only have a crawl space to run ductwork. I could hang a small gas fired furnace under the new front addition, then run ductwork to the rear.

I will need to upgrade the incoming electrical or the gas, so I can go either way.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
HVAC Tech

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 10

You can add an a-coil to your hanging gas furnace for a normal split system with the condenser outside. Insulated ductwork in the crawlspace, but I'd be concerned about the temperature down there with a condensing gas furnace.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Pro

So if this were a heated crawl space I'd be good? This is in a "cottage", summer home I suppose and they shut it down for the winter.

It may come to pass that I will tell them this building now has to be kept from freezing year round.

All avenues are open at this point. I have good drawings from their architect, but specing the HVAC system is ultimately up to me and my hvac guy.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,512

Gotta agree with Edward on the condensing furnace thing. When it is freezing out, condensate drainage is crucial, and have been on numerous service calls due to poor condensate runs.

Heat pumps are a good way of being energy efficient, but they can be loud, as they usually run for a long steady period. In general, I recommend that if one is going to replace the a/c they might as well replace it with a h/p as the cost isn't significantly higher.

Inner 10 is more familiar with your weather patterns, I wouldn't doubt that a condensing furnace would be most beneficial to the end user, but, I would make sure there is an easy way to get rid of the condensate.

Yeah, your neck of the woods, I would go with a gas furnace, and go duel fuel. Heck, it's just money...
katoman (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 3,892

Air to airs dont cut it here, temp drops and they get real inefficient. We get weeks of -30. They are a great option if you want to save money and can't get natural gas but you need a means of backup heat.

Advertisement

katoman (04-24-2012)