Heat Loss Calc - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Heat Loss Calc

Old 12-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #1

Trade: Supervisor
Rewards Points: 18

Heat Loss Calc

So my heat loss is 96,624 btu
EDR of all rads is 49,096 btu
Design temp (-40 to 70) for 110 degrees.
Now it says" emergency minimum"
75,509 and max of 139,096 btu
But does not explain this.
Not sure what to do with this!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,182

Re: Heat Loss Calc

If your rads are only 49,096 BTUs, then your house is very cold in the winter.

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #3

I must be misunderstanding something then. Found a site that explains in detail the specs on rads and that's what I come up with! I was wondering if my rads only produce 49k btu and I'm losing 96k how that worked! Part of the confusion!
Apparently though this calculation is only applicable to steam for boiler sizing and that my whole heat loss is the important factor? That would make sense assuming it's done right!
I found all these numbers in some stuff from last summer but didn't write down what site it was from so I don't know where the heat calc came from either.
I have wall and window measurements for every direction (n, s, e,w facing) etc and even total cubic feet of air space in the house ( which likely wont matter since im not forcing air)but maybe given what you just told me I should look at doing another heat calc again. That plus I've done more sealing and insulating since then.

Recommendations for an accurate site?

I do.know this for sure. This 150 k old standing pilot is far more than adequate to heat up these 14 rads but it's in horrible shape. The high limit was set to 140 when I moved in here. Can't believe that it's lasted the 37 or so years that it has! From what I understand it was probably condensing and there shouldn't be much of anything left! Wish I could post pics. Not a pretty sight and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the exchanger holds out. I replace the expansion tank and gauge, turned up the high limit to around 180 ( my heat gun shows around 170 at the output when it hits limit) and the thermocouple burned through ( easy fix) and replaced the circulator Return temp was taking way too long to get up to anywhere near 150)so for the last 2 winters we've been toasty warm but I'm pretty sure days of those are numbered!

One of the main reasons I started to do this myself is because we have only 2 heating contractors here and one of them was here for maybe 15 minutes and left me with a quote for a triangle tube solo.110.They asked no questions or did any measurements. 12 grand? Yes I want to do my own research and educate myself as much as I can.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 04:29 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,182

You should be able to find a copy of Burnham's Radiator book, that will shows pics of different styles of rads, and give you their EDR, and list their BTUs at different water temps.

Most homes have far more cast iron radiation than they need.

https://www.hvaccomputer.com/gtarget1.asp

http://www.slantfin.com/slantfin-heat-loss-calculator/
Old 12-10-2018, 05:15 AM   #5

Cool. Thanks.