Geothermal HVAC - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Geothermal HVAC

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2

Geothermal HVAC

Hi All, Have a client who I am building a new home for/. They want a Geothermal HVAC system that will use an existing 500' deep water well for the water supply. He wants it to be an "open loop" system that withdraws water from the bottom of the water column and drops it back near the top. In trying to understand the setup, I have asked the ONLY HVAC sub in the area that claims competency, but they cannot answer my questions. Hoping some of you can. House is 5600 sq ft on two levels. Pinch points prevent using a single air handler to circulate air. 1.) can one water handler system feed multiple evaporators inside a locally placed air handler? 2.) It has been estimated that the house would require a 4 ton and a 3.5 tone traditional cooling and 180k and 160k btu heating. What size Geo system might be able to handle the total load if it were possible?

Thanks in advance!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #2
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,030

Re: Geothermal HVAC

There is no way to size that without knowing ceiling heights, windows, doors, r-values, etc. That is definitely the HVAC subs job to size. I wouldn't ever try and do that for myself or a client.

Advertisement

Old Today, 12:29 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,073

Re: Geothermal HVAC

Injecting "used" water into a drinking water well = silly and most likely NOT LEGAL. Too many chances you mix anti-freeze and other water treatments with the drinking water.....sick home owners

It'd be cheap though...

The flow rate of the underground water table determines the seasonal capacity of the under piping..If the underground water is always flowing "downhill" to the nearest river/creek, it won't cool down as much as non- flowing fossil water situations...as all the heat is sucked out of the area around the Geo thermal well pipe loops.

I'd have LP back up burners to go with an L.P. generator set needed for country living as the Grid is destroyed by Tree-Huggers. IMHO