Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Finding old Manufacturer specs on Wood burning stove - Hearth King

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  XJCraver 
#1 ·
I am remodeling an old house that has a Hearth King wood burning stove in the corner of a room. The owners would like to put it back in the corner when we are done. The inspector told me my best bet would be to find the old manufacturer's literature on distances from combustible materials, etc.

I just searched online a little and came up with nothing.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Check the local BI or fire department. Different AHJs may have different requirements.

Uncertified stoves have specific installation requirements called out by code. Here's a non-code reference:

'
Un-certified woodstove clearance distances: 48" to combustibles at sides, rear, and corners as well as the "fueling" or or ash removal side of the the heater. This distance might be reduced to 36" with an approved heat shield.
Un-certified woodstove clearance distance: 60' above the stove top to the ceiling or any combustible above the heater.
'

http://inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Woodstove_Fire_Clearance_Codes.php#UnCert

#6 ·
The old huge chimney pipe will be sucking $ of conditioned air year around out of the house...

A roof top added spring action dampener would pay as well as an out side air pipe to near the intake dampener....

I'd get a wood burner pro to vet that unit.

If you want a good vent for cigar smoke....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.