Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Duct penetrations at rated ceiling in garage

8K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  greg24k 
#1 ·
Anyone knows how to address this issue ? My Hvac guy installed duckt work on a garage .Above the garage there is 2 rooms. He installed the registers on the floor .
The inspector is asking to seal all the duct penetrations at rated ceiling ?
how does this get done .he send me a code which i am not sure how it gets done.
((New Jersey edition of the IRC 2015 code section TR302.6 Penetrations in 1 hour fire resistance rating.))
Any help will be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
No duct penetrations are allowed in garages. Get rid of the duct altogether.

R309.1.1 Duct penetration. Ducts in the garage and ducts
penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from
the garage shall be constructed of a minimum No. 26 gage
(0.48 mm) sheet steel or other approved material and shall have
no openings into the garage.

#11 ·
Seriously, that is your solution? All you need to do is box it in, problem solved.
The code reference you posted is for having registers in garages. If you note the 1st sentence. Usually the issue is the openings in the elbows or lack of drywall at duct edges. You can use fire stop duct sealer on the duct but the edges are harder to fix unless duct is done after drywall.

Just box the whole duct in and be done with it.

#14 ·
job I was on a few months ago duct in garage drywall right up to, it all seams and line where drywall met duct were sealed. duct did not have many seams even on 90 turn. I think they were going to insulate it and box it in anyway.

Passed inspection.

That still is not getting rid of the duct, my point being there are other solutions besides getting rid of the duct. Getting rid of it is the easy way out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.