Dryer Venting Through An Unfinished Attic - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Dryer Venting Through An Unfinished Attic

Old 02-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

Dryer Venting Through An Unfinished Attic

I am wiring for a new stackable washer/ dryer combo tomorrow and was asked to do the venting at the last minute. I plan on installing 4" galvanized up and into the attic space and then using flexible insulated venting to the gable side and venting out.

I have some of this left over from a bathroom exhaust fan job and was wondering if it'll be good for dryer venting too. My main concern is the plastic enclosed around the aluminum body would it be likely to cause a fire.

Like this....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Dryer Venting Through An Unfinished Attic

More appropriate is full rigid pipe, but that flex is used ALL THE TIME, GMOD, BTW by the time the exaust gets up to the attic fire in the pipe is not a concern.

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Service & Repairs

What if I did do the full rigid duct work? Would I just need to wrap it with insulation or is it not even necessary once I get into the attic?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
What if I did do the full rigid duct work? Would I just need to wrap it with insulation or is it not even necessary once I get into the attic?

Thanks...
If you go hard pipe all the way, no need to insulate, but is so much easier to transisition to flex, the typical dryer vent flex has no insulation, what you have there mostly gets used for AC, but since you have it, transision to that in the attic, and get er done, GMOD
Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Service & Repairs

Nice Gene. Much appreciated for the advice. And that's exactly what I'm doing.... Git er done!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

even down here they make us use hard pipe all the way. no screws just metal tape and if run through an unconditioned space (attic) we are required to insulate it and slope toward the outlet (Condensation inside the pipe will accelerate lint build up.) I have used the flex duct but only sleeved over the hard pipe as insulation. 5" works nicely. I believe this is a code item in the newer codes also.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Rory Read

Trade: Basements, Excavation, Waterproofing and Finishing
Rewards Points: 25

I am a plain old remodeler, not an HVAC guy, so pardon my ignorance, but we are talking about wrapping metal flex with the pictured insulation, not just the insulation, right?

The owner needs to be able to clean it out with a brush for fire safety and dryer efficiency sake, and I am pretty sure no manufacturer would be ok with just the above.

I know the ideal installation is rigid duct, insulated, with maybe a short near- straight metal flex or adjustable metal section to ease the install.

r
Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Read View Post
I am a plain old remodeler, not an HVAC guy, so pardon my ignorance, but we are talking about wrapping metal flex with the pictured insulation, not just the insulation, right?

The owner needs to be able to clean it out with a brush for fire safety and dryer efficiency sake, and I am pretty sure no manufacturer would be ok with just the above.

I know the ideal installation is rigid duct, insulated, with maybe a short near- straight metal flex or adjustable metal section to ease the install.

r

No Rory just the insulation, only for the last few feet up in the attic, hard pipe will come out of the dryer through the first floor, into the attic. No HO is brushing out 14ft into the attic, Most HO never ever bother to clean out anything, they call when there clothes are not drying, then i clean it out, GMOD
Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Rory Read

GeneCarp,

I have no doubt that's the way it is and that's the way it's done.

At the same time, I know a fire fighter who mutters something about dryer vents every time he passes a laundry room. So I google dryer vent fire hazard, and the third hit is this from Consumer Reports:

February 2008
Dryer fire caution

More than 13,000 fires a year start in laundry rooms in the United States, resulting in 10 deaths and $97 million in property damage. Nearly 4,000 of these fires arise from lint buildup that occurs when people fail to clean their dryer vents. The following safety information from Consumer Reports can help you prevent a disaster....

I have no skin in this thread and certainly respect the way it is commonly done. For all I know CR is full of it. But I do know how I am going keep installing these things.

Cheers,

R
Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Pro

Rory, if something works for you by all means keep on doing it, i was curious, so i googled dryer fires also, here is what came up

LINT RELATED FIRES IN DRYERS: by Charles C. Roberts, Jr.
Many dryer related fires are attributed to lint accumulation in the dryer as a result of several causes. Improper maintenance of the lint trap is at the top of the list. Lint from clothing can enter the dryer cavity through improperly installed or damaged lint traps and contact hot surfaces such as electric heating coils or the flames of a gas operated burner. Damaged drum seals, door seals and other dryer components allow lint into the dryer cavity. Finally, restrictive dryer vents cause reduced air flow and high temperatures in

If the customer does not maintain the lint trap, we could be using clay flue pipe and it would still burn according to this. I dont know whats the truth really is, i only know what i have been doing for 30 years, and what i see, to each his own, GMOD
Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
Rory Read

Gene,

Your quote & post make sense to me.

R
The Following User Says Thank You to Rory Read For This Useful Post:
genecarp (02-08-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Magnettica, if they have soffit vents,
and they should, you may just be
cycling it back through the attic.
Keep it as far away from vents
and windows as you can.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
Service & Repairs

Thanks for the heads up, Neo.

I actually searched the site here before posting and found this to be a bit interesting.

http://vcisafety.org/dryer_vent_fires.cfm
Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,192

Many areas here require it to be a metal vent, no vinyl.

And yes, it must be insulated. Or you'll have more water in the vent then you know what to do with.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
No Rory just the insulation, only for the last few feet up in the attic, hard pipe will come out of the dryer through the first floor, into the attic. No HO is brushing out 14ft into the attic, Most HO never ever bother to clean out anything, they call when there clothes are not drying, then i clean it out, GMOD
You're probably right about most HO's, but sooner or later someone's going to have to do it. And that flex duct would totally suck when the time comes. There's a fair chance it would have to be replaced.

Rigid all the way.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
copper magnet

Trade: custom metal fabrication
Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
If you go hard pipe all the way, no need to insulate,
That was the source of a "mystery" leak. Fairly long run of rigid pipe through the attic. When it was near or sub zero, a wet spot was showing up on the ceiling. Nearby plumbing vent and roof vents that could have been the culprit. Finally got in the attic at the right temp when the dryer happened to be running. Spotted the drip from condensation near the end of the pipe, coming from a joint. Joint had been taped, but condensation build up had broken the seal down (my guess). Had it insulated, problem solved.

To the OP, I'd run rigid pipe through the insulated flex you have unless your temps stay pretty warm. Belt and suspenders.

Advertisement