Contractor LQQking For HVAC Input! Thank You! - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Contractor LQQking For HVAC Input! Thank You!

Old 07-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8

Contractor LQQking For HVAC Input! Thank You!

Hello - I'm a Contractor and new to this forum - I'm getting two separate quotes for replacing 2 of my customers HVAC systems. Quick info. house is 50+yrs. old, 1st floor is 2,750sf open area, 2nd floor is 1,000sf 2-bed/1-bath. Looking to replace w/new high efficiencies.

The job consists of removing old units, tying into existing duct and in one case, re-routing some duct. Plan calls for venting through a crawl space via PVC abandoning existing chimney's.

Any advice of what (or not) to consider when reviewing these proposals is welcomed. I won't dare ask about pricing b/c I don't want to tick-off the posting police. I'm just trying to get a basis of what to expect.

One company suggested using American Standard single-stage 16-seer HE A/C's w/96% Eff. 2-Stage gas furnaces for both applications.

Thank you kindly to those that have responded to my previous post today and I thank all in-advance to all for your input and advice to follow.

Regards, John

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,982

Re: Contractor LQQking For HVAC Input! Thank You!

You should provide a detailed SOW including install expectations and efficiency requirements.

What will YOU be responsible for?

SEER ratings will have a large impact on price as well as amount of work hvac sub expected to do.

Advertisement

Contracta (09-26-2017), ScipioAfricanus (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8

Griz - Point well made to-it forth a Staement of Work which I'll admit, I am only now feeling more clarity on as time and talking/meeting w/HVAC minded people. I'm responsible for bringing in subs, reviewing bids, managing time-line and subs. This also involves a 75K roof, 34K siding and the A/C. I appreciate your input.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

Be real careful being responsible for something you don't have much knowledge of. I'm guessing given your location you need heat more than cooling. I am installing a new system in my house now, being in the south we have very hot and humid weather and maybe a month where we actually need heat. Because of this I chose to go with an 18 seer 2 stage unit and an 80% afue furnace (it is 2 stage furnace though). The 2 stage cooling with variable speed blower will allow for some humidity control. To go with a 96% or 97% furnace would have run the cost of the unit up over $1k and would have required different venting so given how rarely we actually use heat we saved on the high efficiency furnace.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperiorHIP For This Useful Post:
Contracta (09-26-2017), JJR (07-20-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

Trade: Plumber/Gasfitter
Rewards Points: 168

Really, all you can do is talk to the HVAC contractors in your area and use your best instincts and feel whether they seem to know their stuff. In my area, obviously, the heat is far more important than the cooling so we are almost always going with the simple 16 seer units. We are a Trane dealer so we have good support from our distributor and reps when we have questions.
I usually recommend getting at least 3 quotes with thorough assessments of what they are planning and include. And I always prefer using actual product dealers, whether it be Trane/ A.S. or Lennox or whomever as opposed to some plumber that just goes and buys from whatever local wholesale.
I don't even pretend to know everything when it comes to the cooling side so I rely on my guys to size that part out. I do agree about the 2 stage variable speed though. I've had really good success with them with hardly ever an issue. The odd defective part but easily replaced and dealt with. Probably only about a 1-2 % callback rate though and mostly minor things that I have parts readily available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie in Dawson For This Useful Post:
Contracta (09-26-2017), JJR (07-26-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,522

Trane does have a good dealer support setup.

A big issue with condensing furnaces is how are you going to get rid of the condensate. You don't want that stuff to freeze up in the tubing. If there isn't a drain readily available...
Contracta (09-26-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

Trade: Plumber/Gasfitter
Rewards Points: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Trane does have a good dealer support setup.

A big issue with condensing furnaces is how are you going to get rid of the condensate. You don't want that stuff to freeze up in the tubing. If there isn't a drain readily available...
We use an Axiom condensate neutralizer and a condensate pump up in this area. The pumps have a 20 ft lift and usually I don't need anything near that. I can usually find a kitchen or laundry stack nearby and run clear vinyl tubing over to a wye and bushing with a threaded adapter (plastic pex fitting works) without any issues. Ideally, I like to go to a vent stack that is less likely to back-up. It's a couple hundred bucks added to the install. Nothing major cost wise. Of course, the furnace and water heater should be near a floor drain but that isn't always the case.
Whenever we do new construction, we put a 3 x 1 1/2 tee above the 3 inch p-trap for the floor drain and run some indirect drains over to the walls of the mechanical room. Usually 2 or even 3 of them for condensing appliances (furnace, boiler, on demand HWT, etc.), softeners, HRV's. Gives us lots of options.
I can't run my condi drains to the outside for obvious reasons but a few of these farmers up here do it anyway.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ernie in Dawson; 07-30-2017 at 12:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie in Dawson For This Useful Post:
Contracta (09-26-2017)