Big Question Related to HVAC Trade - License

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  flashheatingand 
#1 ·
Dear,

I graduated from a trade school with the trade called
Building Maintenace.

This course included:
Carpentry, Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC

But, HVAC phrase only cover basic technical training and the test for EPA-Approved Section 608 certification.

I took it and already passed the test with Universal Type.

However, things seem like more interest to me.

I want to focus only on HVAC and I would like to ask a few more question?

1) How many license that HVAC technician should have?
2) I heard about state-board exam? But what really it is?
3) If I want to be a contractor that can qualify to install the HVAC system for the restaurant? Then, where should to go to study or what license I should take to pass in order to qualify?
4) Can license transfer between state-to-state

I would like an experiences person to talk about it and tell me more about what license you already took and is that enough for you to work on HVAC?

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Dear,

I graduated from a trade school with the trade called
Building Maintenace.

This course included:
Carpentry, Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC

But, HVAC phrase only cover basic technical training and the test for EPA-Approved Section 608 certification.

I took it and already passed the test with Universal Type.

However, things seem like more interest to me.

I want to focus only on HVAC and I would like to ask a few more question?

1) How many license that HVAC technician should have?

Only 1 in PA.

2) I heard about state-board exam? But what really it is?

Non in PA.

3) If I want to be a contractor that can qualify to install the HVAC system for the restaurant? Then, where should to go to study or what license I should take to pass in order to qualify?

Handyman registration in PA.

4) Can license transfer between state-to-state

No state currently has a reciprocation with PA.

I would like an experiences person to talk about it and tell me more about what license you already took and is that enough for you to work on HVAC?

Thank you
Residential is not commercial, and commercial is not residential.

If you ant to do commercial contracting. You should get a job with a commercial contractor. So you can learn what all is involved. Insurance, bonding are only small parts of it. Design and install can be a lot more then what you expect it to be.

What experience do you have so far.

#4 ·
H.v.a.c. is a great trade. But, for most of us, it requires more than a few courses, and if you are serious about this field, find a good employer. It's a dirty job, and, can get gnarly at times, but if you aren't afraid to get dirty, breathe some bad air, and work long hours, you will do alright. In my opinion, the most important thing to learn is to know how to read electric schematics, wiring diagrams, and use a multi-meter. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.