Anything That I Could Have Done. - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Anything That I Could Have Done.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

Anything That I Could Have Done.

past week, two jobs in which the condensing units popped, lost a charge (vapor coming out the air conditioner). Both times, the units were slightly low on charge. I added about 1-2 lbs of refrigerant. Soon afterwards, they called to mention something weird, and the refrigerant hissed out.

I slowly add refrigerant, (don't slam it in), and purge the lines before adding refrigerant. Nothing different than anything in the past. I can't think of anything that I could have done. However, two units in one week, with the same thing? seems weird, and I can't help but wonder if it's something that I could have done.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 738

Re: Anything That I Could Have Done.

R-22 or 410A ?

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Pro

One was 410, one was 22. I also replaced a compressor with a second hand one, which went out a few days later.

Maybe some bad mojo going on. Been doing this for about 16 years. Plenty of bumps, but this last week was weird. Turned out on was low, I recharged, and, as a result, I found the leak. Easy to detect with pressure. Small crack by a top coil by the fin channel (I think that the technical term for coils).

Another, bug between contact points on the contactor, but, also, low charge. Missing valve caps, and loose service valves. Calls are pouring in, and didn't really pursue the matter (slammed). Knowhow, added about 1.5 lbs, all is cool for two days, then, tennant calls about a smoke cloud that doesn't smell electrical. Find a microleak at a solder joint... Never seen that before.

Just weird. Cinderfella is hiding somewhere.
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 738

I had a leaker last week that I couldn't find. After three hours searching with my detector with a r-22 charge and nitrogen to 350#, I gave up. I told the owner that I could not help him and recommended a competitor who I know has a reputation for finding small leaks. Sometimes it's better to be humble and know your limitations.

I have found that the 410a systems are showing up here with alot of leaks, and these are fairly new systems. Higher pressures and lower grade of copper, I think.
flashheatingand (08-24-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
Pro

When doing a leak search, If not obvious, I will isolate the components and wait a few days to see where the pressure drops. I would hate to replace an evaporator coil just on a statistic. Too expensive of a component to "just replace".

Bottom line, slow down. Things happen when rushed. There is a balance, and it's easy to fall on the wrong side.
griz (06-16-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
New Guy

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 62

I take it these were older units that you had just repaired?

I had one about 2 years ago that a e-coil sprang a leak replaced that coil and a few days later the compressor on that same unit blew the whole charge.

It was R22. Then this year the other unit sitting next to it did the same thing. Sometimes it's just their time to go....

PS. I've been doing this for 20 years.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to AustinAirCo For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (08-24-2015)