Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Any way to safely vent a water heater without a chimney?

13K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  cyrus799 
#1 ·
I have an almost new atmospheric vented water heater I want to use in my shop but dont have a chimney on the building.

It's a 40 gal gas fired unit that I would like to stick upstairs. The concern is what type of vent material can I use, and how long does an atmospheric vent have to be for a water heater to get the proper draft? I would have about 2' of vent to the underside of the roof, just off-center of the peak.

I read bad things about using a power vent out the side wall... Would this still be the best option?

Is there an inexpensive wall mount unit I should buy instead that could vent out the wall?

Any input is appreciated... Except from Leo... He's just a smartass. :whistling

#4 ·
It'll work just fine.

I have a heater vent that elbows out through the wall about a foot up, then elbows up about another 2-3'--with 8' of gable wall above the top of that. Been meaning to do something about that for the last 30 years or so.

If you're paranoid, put in a CO detector.

#7 ·
I'm assuming you mean a new install gets a water heater with the fan built in to the top of the unit.
I was thinking about the power vents that are basically a remote unit. They get mounted to the house wall and single wall vent gets run from the heater to the fan unit. I hear those dont last.

"atmospheric vented water heater"
^^^--- I had to google that.
Just didnt want any confusion with the factory installed power vent units.

#8 ·
I think you should use drier vent. You know, that slinky stuff with a tinfoil covering? Make sure your CO sensor has batteries.

You asked for it, you got it.:w00t:

#10 ·
People in general are stupid. This doesn't surprise me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.