AHS Compressor Experiences - HVAC - Contractor Talk

AHS Compressor Experiences

Old 07-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #1

Trade: remodel/handy
Rewards Points: 148

AHS Compressor Experiences

Have a long term PM client where I contracted out to have a unit replaced in 2013. He contracted with American Home Shield a coupe of years later and had called in a claim on the unit.

Vendor came out, did the maintenance and such and let it run for a week. Was called back and identified the compressor as failing. AHS called and said they will cover the cost of the compressor but not the freon (vendor: 10 lbs at $35 per). I'll be out to check tomorrow.

Question: is this normal for AHS to not cover the total repair? I'm guessing the vendor figured out the mfg warranty was still in place and was looking for the client to pickup the Freon cost and the vendor would bypass AHS.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,522

Re: AHS Compressor Experiences

Speaking for the home warranty company: Why is there a refrigerant charge? If the compressor was not grounded out, the vendor could have re-used the existing refrigerant.

I never had a decent experience with the home warranty companies. They look out for themselves, and disregard the home owners, as well as the vendors. However, their refusal to pay for the refrigerant is warranted.

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #3

Trade: remodel/handy
Rewards Points: 148

Thanks, I could get details on AHS warranty, but did find a couple of other cos warranties posted online. These both had freon replacement as included in only their upcharge offering - and additional 50-75/year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2018, 02:37 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,186

Normal for AHS not to cover the refrigerant cost. They use to, until about 2012, maybe 2013, when the price of it got real high.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Normal for AHS not to cover the refrigerant cost. They use to, until about 2012, maybe 2013, when the price of it got real high.
R410 is relatively cheap here, and Nu-22 isn't so bad either. Why somebody wouldn't use Nu-22 instead of R-22, baffles me. If they are going to remove the refrigerant (R-22), it's a no-brainer.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,186

Nu-22 doesn't perform as well as R22.

Advertisement