80's Fla-Air HE Series Water Source System? - HVAC - Contractor Talk

80's Fla-Air HE Series Water Source System?

Old 12-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Trade: telephone and catv and I now powder coat
Rewards Points: 34
Question

80's Fla-Air HE Series Water Source System?

Our system was installed in 83 and besides the normal replacement of fan caps and a blower motor, it has been working right well.

The only aggregating problem is that it will lock out from time to time and I have replaced the ICM lock-out relay a few times and it goes back to work but I am wondering if they were even bad or weak to start with?

I might have to restart the system a few times waiting anywhere from 30 min to an hour or more and no problems for weeks or even a few months and then for whatever reason it will lock-out???

No one can really come up with a reason why it does that on such irregular basics? Low on freon then it would be doing that all the time or not even start up. Water flow seems to be good and filters changed out in the house when needed. I did change out the old contactor because the old one just didn't look like it was working correctly and replaced it with an OEM one I was lucky to find and made in the US. New old stock.

The blower contactor has never given any problems and never had to replace the compressor run capacitor. The other wires go to the high and low-pressure switches and the crankcase heater and a couple of wires to the reversing valve coil.

Any ideas that you can think of I need to check that might be causing this? As we all know you can't fix something that will not stay broke so one could troubleshoot it without having a tech on site at the time it happens

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,831

Re: 80's Fla-Air HE Series Water Source System?

Amp and Volt metering hooked to PC driven recorder?

35 year old stuff 95% worn out contact points? springs, solenoids?

A laser pointed thermometer to check splices and devices for running out side of temp ratings: like CBs and relays.

Lose wiring junctions, back to neighbor transformer? Re-torque all. Unbalance loads on either two phase or three phase service.

Weak, worn, Murphy protection components = intermittent failures.

Run time too short, due to incorrect thermostat settings...

lose board connections?
Bad/ weak grounds.

Maybe it is time to replace with higher efficiency equipment? Most POCOs have rebate schemes.

Advertisement

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 12-31-2018 at 04:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
duke1946 (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #3

I guess I need to check what you have said and see what might be replaceable and what can't.

At least I can see and touch all of them

As for as replacing the system I did have the money at one time to do it so I called the man that owned the company at that time if he thought it might be wise to replace it and he said NOPE because they are just great units and you know how to work on it and that is a +. He could just as well said I will send someone by and see what is needed and give me a price. He only lives 2 miles from me

I am still using the same water pump that was installed on top of all of that. It for sure has held up great but did have a leak so I bought the parts to fix it and it sealed its self.

At 72 the only income I have is SS that I never see and the wife uses it to pay the power bill for the house and my shop and coating business but my coating business is not what you would call a get rich one and is small scale but does help buy small stuff and food. I am getting a little too old to get a new unit financed I would think?

Thanks for your advice and I will try to check out things and see if I find a good reason for the cause and hope I find it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
Pro

Pick all the "low" hanging fruit you can, then call in the pros with check list of thing U checked...

The set up Heats in winter(now) and cools in the summer?

Check all the valves (and any one-way valves) that operate to reverse the Heat pump's direction for bad seats and solenoids...

The compressor might be failing, falling outside of working spec range...

Is the water pump housing or impelled wore enough to not move enough water, like an old car water pump???

Maybe the inside and outside heat exchangers are dirty and need a deep cleaning?

Replace all vibration rubbers, remount the electronics if their still are shaking... all rubber ages harder/stiffer

Freon compressor might a couple of drops of lube? Expansion valve failing,partially plugged with trash?

Is your plating work electrical/ galvanic? and could it be overloading your service? (pulling down the Voltage at the Heat pump?) House panel over loaded? any high Amp electrical heaters ?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

You guys are very right with my system being as old as it and it wanting to mess with me for sure and probably always will until I get a new one.

What I do not like is it seems that the newer heat pump systems give more trouble than ones many years older. Family members with there newer ones have more trouble than I have had with my system is 35 years old more or less

This is one thing that I have noticed here lately and with the location, we live in it could be 40 and then up to the 70's or even 80's at Christmas and New Years. Welcome to the east coast of NC.

Wife getting too hot cooking and doing stuff around the house and ask if we could turn on the air and I oblige. I then cut the air off that evening but I have to wait at least an hour or more and try to go back to heat and it might start back up and not lockout on us and then work like a charm and may not give any more problems for a long time but we never know for sure. I have now added a red light mounted in the hall that will come on if it has locked out on us before the house starts cooling down with the blower and even the pump still going. When that happens I just have to shut the system off and wait for a while before I can start it up again. The lockout is kind of new and I also have a few more new ones and in the past, I have installed a new one and all be fine and I have also had it not make any difference and just have to wait.

Just a little confusing on my part for sure???

Thanks again for your help and advice A+A+A+
Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Pro

Maybe install a QUIET exhaust fan in the Kitchen? over the hot stove/ oven
A variable speed drive would be nice. A Energy recovering device would be Cadillac style..

Check power company for rebates and ask tax man if any energy tax schemes are still running for home owners?

Can get the main fan to run blower only to spread the hot air out of the kitchen?
Maybe move the thermostat away from the kitchen so it runs even when heavy cooking occurs..
Check that all returns & supplies are clear, many have damper valves set during original set up, these may be in crawl space or even under the Slab on grade if you have one.

Is there any local Not-For Profits that could aid you as a fixed income retired couple?

Any city-state schemes to aid the still at home elderly stay there?

Can you swap your plating service to a skilled wet heat pump trouble shooter?

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 01-04-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #7

Update on my old 80's system id any one cares but the problem I was having off and on over the years got narrowed down to a faulty high pressure switch.
A good HVAC friend of mine happened to stop by and just to chat and I told him what had been going on with my system and with it getting colder was really driving me nuts.
So I turned it on and he saw it cut right off within an min or so. I had always thought the lockout out relay was the problem and had replaced a few of them over the years and my system might work for days/weeks or even longer but now that was not working this time and I was back at square one again??
He pulled out his test equipment and testing my high pressure and low and it was fine. Next I cut the wires from my high pressure switch to my contactor and then straight wired the ones feeding the contactor relay. Then fired it up again and it stayed running and pressure readings were took again and they were fine. My system has been working fine from that time A+A+A+ with it disconnected.
Now to find a new one just to be on the safe side I guess but it will a pain to replace it for sure but doable but at 73 can I get my old body to lay day and get it done or get someone younger maybe??
The pressure switch may have just gave up or maybe a piece of trash caused the problem??
I have tried my best to take a picture of the numbers that are on the switch and that is not very easy and what numbers I can see I have had no luck with so it is time to do more research on my unit and see what I can find or get someone that can take what info I do have on my unit and let them advise me.
T least for now my system is up and running and we are WARM so we are very happy.

Case closed I would say at least for now.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke1946 For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-11-2019), mrcat (02-10-2019)