Shoulder Repair? - Health & Safety - Contractor Talk

Shoulder Repair?

Old 04-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,962

Shoulder Repair?

So dealing with some chronic shoulder pain. I've been looking at physical therapy treatments that I can try at home.

It appears that most cases physical therapy relieves problems without surgery. I guess it breaks down inflammation and strengthens neighboring muscles.

Anyone have first hand knowledge? I have always worked out, perhaps lifted too many heavyweights whatever but I want to get back on track. Sleeping is a chronic problem.

Somehow it's not keeping me from working this week for example I hung sheetrock and spackle sloped and flat ceilings without a problem.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Shoulder Repair?

And I really don't want to be taking anti-inflammatories daily

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,084

If it is bicepal tendonitis or front of shoulder where bicep ties into it, try muscle flossing, google it, with rubber therapy band or better yet barbell muscle flossing.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I dealt with long head proximal (near shoulder) bicep tendonitis for couple years till I started doing those and massage therapy every 2 weeks and heat instead of ice unless the injury is acute.

Thinking behind it is break up fascia and scar tissue and regain full mobility and then strengthen area after full mobility is restored, works for knees, hips, ankles etc...

Last edited by kevjob; 04-11-2019 at 08:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevjob For This Useful Post:
Tom M (04-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
So dealing with some chronic shoulder pain. I've been looking at physical therapy treatments that I can try at home.

It appears that most cases physical therapy relieves problems without surgery. I guess it breaks down inflammation and strengthens neighboring muscles.

Anyone have first hand knowledge? I have always worked out, perhaps lifted too many heavyweights whatever but I want to get back on track. Sleeping is a chronic problem.

Somehow it's not keeping me from working this week for example I hung sheetrock and spackle sloped and flat ceilings without a problem.
Don't rule out a trip to an osteopath. They're equivalent to MD's, but the degree is D.O, instead. They have manipulation as part of their core curriculum. Yes, they'd probably prescribe NSAID's, but at least you'll get a good ruling on the issue at hand.

Also, try the natural anti-inflammatories in your diet. They helped me. Stuff like tumeric, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Tom M (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,360

Had some shoulder pain and loss of range of motion that was lingering... in the mornings I would stretch both arms behind my back as well as both sides across my chest with the other supporting the pull from behind the elbow, and follow up with ever increasing circles... It wasn't long (a week or two) before it subsided dramatically and eventually went away and my range of motion increased back to normal...

Don't know if it will help your situation but I figured I'd mention it since it sounded familiar...

A Chiropractor can also help with realignment and inflammation so it goes better... my brother was having sciatica down his back into the side of his feet as well as back pain and I recommended him to mine... two weeks later and he went from three appointments a week to one, and is now just on maintenance... He's much happier...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Tom M (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 16,378

Quote:
And I really don't want to be taking anti-inflammatories daily

Agreed!

Those anti-inflammatories are no good for long term.

Mike.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #7
Pro

Started doing circles and stretches. Feels even more sore, which is fine as long as I know I'm not making it worse. Its unbelievable how much it can hurt sleeping

Try to stay off of it but ......
Thanks guys
overanalyze (04-21-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #8

Trade: RENOVATIONS
Rewards Points: 118

I had all of those symptoms so I bit the bullet and went to the doctor and he sent me for an MRI that showed I had a torn rotator cuff and a detached bicep tendon. It took me 9 months to get back to work.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:12 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,782

I have similar issues with my right shoulder, apparently I have lots of small tears in my rotator cuff. A few years ago it was to the point I could not sleep at night or push open a door. It really sucked. Went to the Doc and from there had physical therapy for several months, it was a huge help.
Feeling good a couple of years later I went back in the gym doing some weights and my shoulder pains have returned.
Not sure how I will proceed but I can tell you the physical therapy was a big help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Tom M (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:33 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeforeChristoff View Post
I had all of those symptoms so I bit the bullet and went to the doctor and he sent me for an MRI that showed I had a torn rotator cuff and a detached bicep tendon. It took me 9 months to get back to work.
Yeah thats not what I wanted to hear

Dont know how I would get work done.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #11

Trade: RENOVATIONS
Rewards Points: 118

I did the physio therapy as well 2 different places thinking that one wasn't as good as the other but in the end my shoulder was ripped apart and needed repair, physio was just interested in the money so I had it checked out. I'll tell you one thing i'm a happy camper now!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BeforeChristoff For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #12
Pro

I dont really trust therapy. Im sure it helps but know its a sales pitch. I feel like it works for people that are not exercise people, it forces them to show up to the gym
Old 04-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #13
Acme Rocket Tester

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 34

I can give you my experience with shoulder injuries. I wrestled throughout college. In that sport some degree of shoulder injury is inevitable. I took on some nagging injuries/nicks to my right shoulder throughout but towards the end of my junior year incurred a meaningful SLAP tear.

To give perspective on it, at the time I would open a shoulder day with military press for 3 sets @ about 275. After hurting my shoulder, I literally couldnít get a cup out of an upper cabinet.

The aching was pretty intense and constant. Like you mentioned, sleeping was difficult. It took a lot of pillows to prop my arm in a decent enough position so I could sleep.

I used a lot of ice to combat the swelling and pain. The problem with icing a shoulder is that itís difficult to wrap and Iíd say impossible on your own. It took 3 plastic bags, the size of a grocery bag, and miles of ace bandage to get good coverage. Youíve probably seen the MLB pitchers on tv with similar setups. I slept with the ice on it because thatís about what it took.

Some people have suggested using heat instead of ice. I donít know about that, but Iím a big believer in doing whatever works for you. So if ice doesnít do it, heck try the heat.

The team trainers and doctors were pretty adamant that surgery was necessary. But I tend to think that surgeons always want to surgery. Not that they donít have really good knowledge and insight, but I think you need to really listen to what they are saying and make the best decision for yourself.

In my case, even with surgery, it was still a year plus of recovery (about six months of near zero activity with the arm then six months of rehab). Since the timeframe meant that I was done wrestling regardless, I opted to rehab it on my own and then if after awhile, I didnít see satisfactory improvement Iíd opt for the surgery.

The shoulder rehab started at zero. As in doing mobility work on the cable machine at 5 lbs. After a few months, I worked my way up to military pressing the bar. Throughout I kept the pouring the ice on it because it continued to hurt. So unfortunately, you might have months of this discomfort in front of you.

After about a year, I was largely working out and living again like my shoulder was 100%. It is and always will be more prone taking an injury and Iíll never throw a fastball, but it hardly ever bothers me.

So bottom line, rehabbing without surgery, even after a pretty severe injury is definitely possible. Depending on the severity, your shoulder could hurt pretty bad for many months, so do what works for you in the meantime to mitigate it as much as possible. And if you feel itís bad enough, getting a professional opinion and some imaging on it to see if the injury is beyond your bodyís ability to heal itself could give you some valuable information.

Good luck, and baby it for a while, shoulder injuries suck.,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (04-12-2019), Tom M (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
I dont really trust therapy. Im sure it helps but know its a sales pitch. I feel like it works for people that are not exercise people, it forces them to show up to the gym
Often, once you learn it, you can do it yourself and save the visit costs. It's definitely a business that needs patients and revenue.

I had a client who owned a hand therapy clinic. It looked a nail salon, with folks sitting at desks opening and closing their hand. She was loaded (and a cheapskate, but that's another story.)
Old 04-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #15
Pro

My man 275lb military presses is outstanding. I miss lifting. I did tear a piece of pec/bicep. It was light weight bench....first thought too many pushups too deep over stretched but I think it was more from dead lifting. Something I never used in a routine before.

I went back shortly after and got strong again but this past year work has been busy/demanding and chronic soreness without even doing push ups is a problem.

I want to keep in shape as I age. Work is a factor as well....quality of life thing
Old 04-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,514

DIY diagnosis and treatment, including physical therapy:

https://www.amazon.com/Jock-Docs-Bod.../dp/0312199058
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Tom M (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
Pro

Where's the pickup.

I think I'm still going to see an orthopedic just to answer some questions I have last time I saw one I was not real impressed as the guy wanted to tell me about his own problems and how old we are getting.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #18
Pro

Go to a place that specializes in sports (and contractor) medicine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (04-22-2019), hdavis (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Go to a place that specializes in sports (and contractor) medicine.
I actually go one further. I'll look for a professional sports team orthopedic surgeon if I'm not getting diagnostics or treatment plan.

Maybe not the cream if the crop, but they know their stuff inside and out.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
Pro

I did after I tore my chest a free years ago. NY Giants DR so he advertised. He talked more about his own ski injury's now being over 40.

Found more information searching myself.

As you may already know I find when you see a doctor it's very important what you say to them because you can lead them. They're real quick to send you for batteries of tests you may not need.

Advertisement

hdavis (04-12-2019)