Prescription Safety/sports Glasses - Health & Safety - Contractor Talk

Prescription Safety/sports Glasses

Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Geek Carpenter

Trade: Union Carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

Prescription Safety/sports Glasses

First, does anyone know if there's any actual difference between sports and safety glasses as far as actual safety goes?

I just started wearing glasses 6-7 months ago. I'm looking around and sports glasses seem to be much more readily available. I see most all use polycarbonate lenses but can't confirm whether they're z87 or not.

I'm mostly looking at online glasses retailers. They have much better prices than brick and mortar and quality seems just as good to me.

Most of the ones I'm looking at look like standard "stylish" safety glasses with a set of prescription lenses behind them. I see you can also get them with a single set of lenses but the highest prescription i saw was -1.50 cyl and i'm -2.50 cyl.

I definitely want tinted outer lenses, since I'm a framer and I'm rarely inside.

What do most guys with glasses do for eye protection? Are typical prescription glasses generally considered good enough on the job? So long as they use polycarbonate lenses? They just don't seem to wrap around the eyes enough to me, I've had shrapnel come at some pretty odd angles!

My regular safety glasses usually only lasted a few months before they were scratched beyond usability, but those were only a few bucks a piece.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Re: Prescription Safety/sports Glasses

I buy from Wal mart. The scratch resistant coating. They have a one year warentee. had them replaced several times.

i buy from them because of their liberal return policy with very few questions.

Safety glasses have a wring somewhere on the lens that identifies them as safety glasses. if OSHA inspects they will look. You must have side shields which the pair I have clip on.

Be careful on ladders with glasses until you are used to them....

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Geek Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
Be careful on ladders with glasses until you are used to them....
You mean be careful looking down at all! Took me a few days before I got acclimated to them, took a couple tumbles down the stairs and driving I held off wearing them for a bit too.

My astigmatism made things all the weirder, with glasses on I feel like I'm sitting higher in my truck, and my computer monitor looks like it's tilted towards me with them on and away with them off.

I'm good now, just wanting some pointers on prescription safety glasses. I've always been big into wearing eye protection when working, it's bad enough my eyes have degraded so much in the past year, don't care to artificially speed up the process
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 76

I still have a vivid recollection of that distortion when I stared wearing glasses a few decades ago. Besides the navigation oddities, the first time I took a forkful of food with them on, I about freaked. I swore the fork was headed straight for my eye.

As Framer53 says, you need glasses that actually say somewhere on them that they meet certain specs (and they will provide full side protection if they do) in order to satisfy OSHA. I don't think sports glasses generally meet all the criteria.

Having said that, I confess that I rarely bother with more than my regular plastic-lensed prescription glasses. Only if I know there's going to be massive amounts of stuff flying do I dig out the fancy ones. I admit that's not the smartest thing in the world, but so far I've gotten away with it.

Of course, that also means that I need new lenses every year or two, because they do get dinged up.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 130

Z87 is the stamp your looking for - my regular Oakley's are not (which I wear all the time anyways), the Oakley military version I have is approved

http://blog.sls-construction.com/201...safety-glasses

Last edited by SLSTech; 07-13-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: wrong code listed
Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Geek Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I still have a vivid recollection of that distortion when I stared wearing glasses a few decades ago. Besides the navigation oddities, the first time I took a forkful of food with them on, I about freaked. I swore the fork was headed straight for my eye.

As Framer53 says, you need glasses that actually say somewhere on them that they meet certain specs (and they will provide full side protection if they do) in order to satisfy OSHA. I don't think sports glasses generally meet all the criteria.

Having said that, I confess that I rarely bother with more than my regular plastic-lensed prescription glasses. Only if I know there's going to be massive amounts of stuff flying do I dig out the fancy ones. I admit that's not the smartest thing in the world, but so far I've gotten away with it.

Of course, that also means that I need new lenses every year or two, because they do get dinged up.
Well you might want to check out places like goggles4u or eyebuydirect. They sell prescription glasses at a huge discount. Bought from them myself, even their 5 dollar frames are as good or better than the chap 50 dollar frames I got the america's best. They sell the most typical kinds of lenses, poly, 1.50 up to high index plastic and glass of course. You can get all the coatings you'd expect, generally for free or cheap. They offer transitions, tinting to different levels, progressives, bifocals, pretty much everything.

They do have some limits on how strong a prescription they can make, +-4.50 for goggles4u I believe.

With coupon codes you can get most cheap frames down to under 15 bucks for a pair, sometimes you can literally get free glasses if you go cheap frames and basic plastic lenses, might be perfect for your "safety" glasses

I've read good reviews, and had a good experience myself, take note of the dimensions of your current glasses though, you'll want to stick with those same rough dimensions (though I may not need to tell you that!) I picked some that were a little bit short to reach my ears and they're not so comfy. Then again they're plastic frames with glass lenses and i'm used to light metal with poly lenses.

Each pair comes with a hard case and cleaning cloth too, something that i didn't get at the brick and mortar store :/

They're at least worth the experiment for the price, be prepared to wait a couple weeks though. I have a 3rd pair coming soon, bought some to use as sunglasses in my truck, my experiment with transitions lenses has been a failure, though only a 25 dollar (that's for 2 pairs) failure!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Geek Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTech View Post
Z89 is the stamp your looking for - my regular Oakley's are not (which I wear all the time anyways), the Oakley military version I have is approved

http://blog.sls-construction.com/201...safety-glasses
Is z87 no longer acceptable? Or does it depend on the type of work? I don't think any of my current non-prescription glasses are even z89.

I'm thinking if I do go with prescription afety glasses I might get the ones that have inner and outer lenses, maybe find some where the frames can be replaced cheaply and focus on making the inner rx lenses last.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 12,112

I believe it's the Z87 there lookin for. I get all my safety glasses from
http://www.safevision.net/ and have been for years. I keep a dark one for outside and a clear one for inside trim work The dark ones currently have a bad ding right in the middle of the right lens that would have taken my eye out
Attached Thumbnails
Prescription safety/sports glasses-work-003.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
Well you might want to check out places like goggles4u or eyebuydirect.
Thanks, I'll check them out. Though in the past, my experience has been that cheap glasses are usually... cheap glasses.

Quote:
I have a 3rd pair coming soon, bought some to use as sunglasses in my truck, my experiment with transitions lenses has been a failure, though only a 25 dollar (that's for 2 pairs) failure!
I won't wear shades of any sort. I'm convinced that doing so makes your eyes "lazy", and they slowly lose a percentage of their ability to adjust to changing conditions without artificial aids.

Ironically, the same holds true for regular corrective lenses. As you continue to wear them, you'll most likely find that you need a stronger prescription every 1-2 years, for quite some time (until fossilization sets in). Unfortunately, we can't very well get along without them in today's world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Geek Carpenter

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check them out. Though in the past, my experience has been that cheap glasses are usually... cheap glasses.

I won't wear shades of any sort. I'm convinced that doing so makes your eyes "lazy", and they slowly lose a percentage of their ability to adjust to changing conditions without artificial aids.

Ironically, the same holds true for regular corrective lenses. As you continue to wear them, you'll most likely find that you need a stronger prescription every 1-2 years, for quite some time (until fossilization sets in). Unfortunately, we can't very well get along without them in today's world.
I've heard that about rx glasses but I've also heard it's a myth/misconception and that the contrary is true that not getting corrective lenses can do more harm.

As for tinted lenses they keep me from squinting and getting a headache, I guess as long as your non tinted lenses have UV protection all should be fine.

What is bad is sunglasses that don't block UV, they allow your eyes to stay open and absorb more UV rays than squinting. I can't find anything confirming that sunglasses are bad for your eyes though.

Quote:
I believe it's the Z87 there lookin for. I get all my safety glasses from
http://www.safevision.net/ and have been for years. I keep a dark one for outside and a clear one for inside trim work The dark ones currently have a bad ding right in the middle of the right lens that would have taken my eye out
Checked out their site earlier, they have some really nice glasses, but the prices are killer. They did have some cheaper frames with rx inserts though that could be had for around 100. How long have yours lasted? I guess if you can get a year or more out of them then that's not so bad. Supposed to get an eye exam yearly anyways.

I guess since being laid off so long I've become a bit of a cheapskate :/
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Checked out their site earlier, they have some really nice glasses, but the prices are killer. They did have some cheaper frames with rx inserts though that could be had for around 100. How long have yours lasted? I guess if you can get a year or more out of them then that's not so bad. Supposed to get an eye exam yearly anyways.
I guess since being laid off so long I've become a bit of a cheapskate :/
Mine last for years, the clear ones are 7or6 years old and need to be replaced because the RX is no longer good And the dark ones are 4 or 5 years old and need new lenses because of the ding. So i do get my money worth's out of them and I write them off on my taxes When I'm on a big job with a safety man they checkim for the Z87
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Geek Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
Mine last for years, the clear ones are 7or6 years old and need to be replaced because the RX is no longer good And the dark ones are 4 or 5 years old and need new lenses because of the ding. So i do get my money worth's out of them and I write them off on my taxes When I'm on a big job with a safety man they checkim for the Z87
Good to hear, bookmarked the site and I'll keep them in mind when I have a bit more money to spend and an actual need!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
I've heard that about rx glasses but I've also heard it's a myth/misconception and that the contrary is true that not getting corrective lenses can do more harm.
Both are probably true, just depends on exactly what your problem is. All I know is that I once broke a pair of glasses, didn't get another for two years, and when I did, my eyes had actually gotten a bit better. The optometrist agreed with my guess that perhaps making 'em work was what did it.

Quote:
As for tinted lenses they keep me from squinting and getting a headache, I guess as long as your non tinted lenses have UV protection all should be fine.
A good hat goes a long way toward alleviating squinting.

I've never quite bought into the thing about UV. I know many old farmers who've worked in the sun all their lives without such protection, and they seem no worse off than office workers of the same age.

The medical profession is just as prone to jumping onto fad bandwagons as any other group.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
Geek Carpenter

Quote:
I've never quite bought into the thing about UV. I know many old farmers who've worked in the sun all their lives without such protection, and they seem no worse off than office workers of the same age.
I wear ball caps religious actually, they don't work ear as well as glasses, at least for me. Hard hats are a bit worse, especially when worn backwards, but that's just user error.

There's a strong correlation between UV rays and certain types of cancers. UV protective lenses are the equivalent to sunblock for your eyes.

With the eyes, however, you can squint and block a good deal out. Wearing sunglasses just helps a bit more.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
I've never quite bought into the thing about UV. I know many old farmers who've worked in the sun all their lives without such protection,
http://healthwise-everythinghealth.b...pterygium.html
Seems like a third of the people you see over here and in south Fla. have this. It is caused by too much UV in the eye, often seen in a surfers or snow skiers eye because the light is amplified off of the water and snow. I have very light eyes and can't function in the bright light sunlight without shades on
Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 130

Quote:
Is z87 no longer acceptable? Or does it depend on the type of work? I don't think any of my current non-prescription glasses are even z89.

I'm thinking if I do go with prescription afety glasses I might get the ones that have inner and outer lenses, maybe find some where the frames can be replaced cheaply and focus on making the inner rx lenses last.
oops, yes it is Z87 - sorry about that & thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #17
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

last time i saw "sport glasses" was when i was kid just starting to play hardball, they were like extremely tight uncomfortable goggles but with prescription lenses. they looked similar to raquetball goggles

saftey glasses have to have a fixed side wing to protect from dust and projectiles hitting the eye from the side. ive looked into getting them but just havent bothered.

last time i got glasses i asked about saftey glasses, they told me based on my prescription and how i get the lenses thinned im basically using the same lense as a pair of saftey glasses but without the side wings... to upgrade to the stamped version its almost $200 more.. not worth 200 more for side wings
Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
Geek Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
last time i saw "sport glasses" was when i was kid just starting to play hardball, they were like extremely tight uncomfortable goggles but with prescription lenses. they looked similar to raquetball goggles

saftey glasses have to have a fixed side wing to protect from dust and projectiles hitting the eye from the side. ive looked into getting them but just havent bothered.

last time i got glasses i asked about saftey glasses, they told me based on my prescription and how i get the lenses thinned im basically using the same lense as a pair of saftey glasses but without the side wings... to upgrade to the stamped version its almost $200 more.. not worth 200 more for side wings
Sports glasses today look exactly like safety glasses, unless you want to look like Horace Grant!

I assume most may not be z87 though. They're certainly easier to find, but if they don't comply, they're not worth bothering.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
It is caused by too much UV in the eye, often seen in a surfers or snow skiers eye because the light is amplified off of the water and snow.
I knew someone was going to bring that (or something like it) up.

Yeah, extreme exposure is another story. But way too often, they feed a pack of rats 1,000 times the dose of substance X that a normal human would get in ten lifetimes, and all of a sudden it's the latest Most Dangerous Thing on the planet. Yawn.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,252

Quote:
You mean be careful looking down at all! Took me a few days before I got acclimated to them, took a couple tumbles down the stairs and driving I held off wearing them for a bit too.

My astigmatism made things all the weirder, with glasses on I feel like I'm sitting higher in my truck, and my computer monitor looks like it's tilted towards me with them on and away with them off.

I'm good now, just wanting some pointers on prescription safety glasses. I've always been big into wearing eye protection when working, it's bad enough my eyes have degraded so much in the past year, don't care to artificially speed up the process
I have never tried using my prescription glasses for work. When I got them I was so stoked to try playing darts with them. I figured that now that I can see so much more clearly, I most definitely can hit the target now. Not even close. I can't hardly hit the board with them on. I can't imagine trying to hit a nail or doing any kind of detail work.

Advertisement