New OSHA Standard - Health & Safety - Contractor Talk

New OSHA Standard

Old 12-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #1

New OSHA Standard

Here is a new one I got in a email I didnt know if ya guys wanted to see it-

OSHA's New Standard
On February 28, 2006, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) issued a new standard relating to occupational exposure to hexavalent chromium, also known as Cr(VI). Chromium is a natural metal used in a wide variety of industrial activities, including the manufacture of stainless steel, arc welding, painting and pigment application, electroplating, and other surface coating processes. OSHA determined that the new standard is necessary to reduce health risks posed by occupational exposure to Cr(VI).
The new standard lowers OSHA's permissible exposure limit (PEL) for hexavalent chromium, and for all Cr(VI) compounds, to 5 micrograms of Cr(VI) per cubic meter of air as an 8-hour time-weighted average. (this is the same as 0.005 milligrams per cubic meter). The new PEL is one-tenth of the old PEL.
Industries to which the Standard applies: The standard covers occupational exposure to hexavalent chromium (Cr(VI)) in general industry, construction and shipyards. New Cr(VI) regulations have been issued for each industry.
Requirements: The new standard requires industries to control worker exposures to Cr(VI) so the new PEL is not exceeded. This may be done through engineering and work practice controls or through the use of respirators, if controls are not sufficient. Other requirements include worker Cr(VI) exposure determinations, protective work clothing and equipment, house keeping, medical surveillance and communication of hazards and training.
Start-up date for all provisions, except engineering controls: The requirements are phased in as follows:
Employers with 20 or more employees: November 27, 2006
Employers with less than 20 employees: May 30, 2007 This period is designed to allow employers sufficient time to complete initial exposure assessments, obtain appropriate work clothing and equipment, and comply with other provisions of the standard.
Exposure Assessments: Employers must determine what the exposures are for its employees. Some employers may have a safety or industrial hygiene department capable of performing that determination. Employers may need to contact a certified industrial hygienist to help them do this. (for example, see http://www.aiha.org/Content/AccessInfo/consult/consultantsearch.htm) In general, employers must perform an initial assessment to determine what worker exposures are and perform follow up monitoring if the exposure is above an action level which is one-half of the PEL or if there is a change, for example to the workplace, work practices, materials or processes involved, which may affect exposure.
"Each employer who has a workplace or work operation covered by this section shall determine the 8-hour TWA exposure for each employee exposed to chromium (VI)..." 29CFR1910.1026(d)(1) (footnote 1)
Scheduled monitoring option:
"The employer shall perform initial monitoring to determine the 8-hour TWA exposure for each employee on the basis of a sufficient number of personal breathing zone air samples to accurately characterize full shift exposure on each shift, for each job classification, in each work area. Where an employer does representative sampling instead of sampling all employees in order to meet this requirement, the employer shall sample the employee(s) expected to have the highest chromium (VI) exposures..." 29CFR1910.1026(d)(2) (footnote 1)
Performance-oriented option:
"The employer shall determine the 8-hour TWA exposure for each employee on the basis of any combination of air monitoring data, historical monitoring data, or objective data sufficient to accurately characterize employee exposure to chromium (VI)." 29CFR1910.1026(d)(3) (footnote 1)
Exemption: "Where the employer has objective data demonstrating that a material containing chromium or a specific process, operation, or activity involving chromium cannot release dusts, fumes, or mists of chromium (VI) in concentrations at or above 0.5 micrograms per cubic meter as an 8-hour time-weighted average (TWA) under any expected conditions of use..."
Footnote 1: Citation is made to the OSHA General Industry Regulations. Similar regulations apply to the Construction Industry 29CFR1926.1126 and Shipbuilding Industry 29CFR1915.1026.
Respirators: If the use of work practice controls does not control exposures to the PEL, employers may use respirators, provided other requirements for respirators are met (29CFR1910.134). The use of engineering controls to control exposures is encouraged, but not required until May 31, 2010. After May 31, 2010, in general, respirators can only be used to comply with the PEL if feasible engineering and work practice controls to reduce exposures to the lowest levels achievable, or the employer can demonstrate that the process or task does not result in any employee exposure to Cr(VI) above the PEL for 30 or more days per year. (12 consecutive months)

Start-up date for engineering controls: Engineering controls must be implemented by all employers by May 31, 2010. Feasible engineering controls to control exposures must be in use by this date, even if respirators must also be used to control worker exposure.
Engineering Controls:
No one solution will fit all applications. Solutions frequently involve a combination of the following:
Advanced Welding Equipment, Consumables and
NextweldŽ Technologies
Environmental Solutions - Fume Extraction EquipmentArc Welding Assessment:
Because the new PEL will now be much lower, it will be important for employers to determine if there is an exposure in all arc welding applications, not just if welding with stainless or hardfacing consumables. Electrodes and the base metal may contain chromium as an alloying ingredient for strength or on the base metal as a plating or coating. Chromium is also present in many steels as a "tramp" ingredient. For this reason, an exposure assessment is needed in arc welding and cutting applications involving even mild and low alloy steels to ensure that exposures do not exceed the action level or the PEL.
Lincoln Electric Material Safety Data Sheet Updates - Hexavalent Chromium Standard
  • Hardfacing Consumable Updates
  • Stainless & High Alloy Consumable Updates
  • Low Alloy and Other Consumable Updates
  • All Lincoln Material Safety Data Sheets
  • To keep organizations up-to-date on all changes to Lincoln's Material Safety Data Sheets, Lincoln has introduced a new on-line notification program that will e-mail you weekly with a list of MSDS sheets that have been updated. Sign-up for this new service. Download the above MSDS documents where appropriate.
Industry Resources:
Industry information on Safety & Health Topics are available from a wide variety of organizations. Listed below are some informative websites and data resources.
OSHA - Safety & Health Topic: Hexavalent ChromiumArc Welding SafetyAdditional Welding & Safety ResourcesE-Mail to a business associate
Lincoln Electric Website Regarding Arc Welding Safety

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 7,510

Re: New OSHA Standard

Did everybody read the whole thing? Remember it, there will be a quiz on Friday.........

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 01:02 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Just looks like one of md's posts

Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #4

Trade: On-site OSHA required Safety Training
Rewards Points: 10

Hey...I appreciate the REMINDER!!! and all updated info.
CATHEYCCSFUSA
Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I saw this posted in a port o john.

Per OSHA Regulations CFR 1926

All Turds over 6" Shall be hand lowered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bwalley For This Useful Post:
chris n (12-30-2009), DavidC (01-08-2010)
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post

HaHa almost spit my beer on my monitor....again....
Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post

Wonder what the fine is. I have, unknowingly to the accuse,r been accused of walking off of one once.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #8

Trade: On-site OSHA required Safety Training
Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post

Wonder what the fine is. I have, unknowingly to the accuse,r been accused of walking off of one once.
Hey...I'll never tell! Thanks for the laugh & have a good weekend; Stay Warm! This was the best thing I have heard all day. You are the King
Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATHEYCCSFUSA View Post
Hey...I appreciate the REMINDER!!! and all updated info.
CATHEYCCSFUSA
The thread is 3 years old.

Advertisement

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook