Knee Replacement - Health & Safety - Contractor Talk

Knee Replacement

Old 07-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 5,680

Knee Replacement

Anybody ever get the knee replacement job done? How did it go?
I'm really sick of this bone on bone pain.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,706

Re: Knee Replacement

Big Shoe had his done

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,510

I know two guys that had it done, both say the difference is amazing, but the recovery time is brutal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (07-29-2020), greg24k (07-30-2020), KAP (08-01-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Essential Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 19,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
Did you try a cortisone injection? I got one three or four (or 5?) years ago and it helped greatly. (I think it was cortisone.) At the time I got it, a piece of my meniscus was catching and locking when I bent my leg, and I was bone-on-bone, as well. Still am.

On the other hand, there's supposedly a new 'take" that the shots can do more harm than good, but I forget the details. (I'd still get another one for a few more years.)

Last edited by MarkJames; 07-29-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,694

IMO...the injections are a waste of time & money.

Yes , they do work...sorta...

the first round is pretty good, but then the effects do not last as long and the pain & stiffness come back with a vengeance...

cortisone is ok for 1 maybe 2 injections...

that stuff will PHUK YOU UP ROYALLY!!!!!!

getting knee injections is sorta like putting a blue tarp on a bad roof leak, in november, and hoping you won't have to fool with it until august...

Now as far as knee replacements....

wife has had both of hers done. One with some sort of reinforced stabilization...

pain was fair for about 3 days, then daily improvement after that.

she had her second one done 5 weeks after the first.

down time was minimal...

incision healed and was tender for a bit.

inside of 10 days she had 90% range of motion back.

occasionally mild stiffness, a slight ache now & then but thats it.

DO NOT HESITATE TO DO IT...

torn cartilage, bone on bone WILL NOT heal itself.

my surgeon told me i will know when it's time for replacements.

when it hinders your daily activities, recreation or you start relying on medication to get thru the day or night....

might have mine done this winter.

GOOD LUCK...
Old 07-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
Pro

Thanks Griz
I hear you and will take steps to get it done.. The knee Doc says it needs it.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #7
Pro

Now the recovery time is not as bad as before, but it depends on what you do, I was told 6 months out of work and really should consider a different line of work. WTF I was 55 when they told me that.

The bigger issue is infections. May start out small, dental infection, cuts splinters etc, but the body just knows to attack any foreign object and many times the replaced knee gets infected.

I was also told that you can no longer kneel down for more than 10 minutes, i don't know if thats any longer true

I have needed a new knee for 7 years now and I don't see it in my future, tried all of the injections none work. I don't know anyone who has had a knee replacement that does actual physical work as a job.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
Now the recovery time is not as bad as before, but it depends on what you do, I was told 6 months out of work and really should consider a different line of work. WTF I was 55 when they told me that.

Recovery time is extremely dependent on the individual's mental attitude and diligence in doing the physical therapy, most if not all can be done at home.

if someone is off for 6 months it's likely due to them being lazy or on a comp claim.

The bigger issue is infections. May start out small, dental infection, cuts splinters etc, but the body just knows to attack any foreign object and many times the replaced knee gets infected.

Infection that you have control over is while the incision is healing.
2 weeks tops. after that it's internal & out of your control.

I was also told that you can no longer kneel down for more than 10 minutes, i don't know if thats any longer true

perhaps, but extremely dependent on the individual & what they can or want to tolerate. REALLY GOOD knee pads make a huge diffrence.

I needed a new knee for 7 years now and I don't see it in my future, tried all of the injections none work. I don't know anyone who has had a knee replacement that does actual physical work as a job.
I know of several guys who had knee replacements and still work for a living. Mental attitude, PT and your surgeon's protocols are extremely important on how your surgery turns out.

I have never run across anyone who regretted getting them done.

Good Luck.
Calidecks (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
I know of several guys who had knee replacements and still work for a living. Mental attitude, PT and your surgeon's protocols are extremely important on how your surgery turns out.

I have never run across anyone who regretted getting them done.

Good Luck.
I know lots who had them done but just because infection is out of your control does not make the problem go away, Big Shoe had to have his done again due to infection.

Kneeling puts stress on the bone where the full knee replacement is attached to the lower leg, causing stress fractures. For the work I do I was told 6 months no work, my friend is a chemical engineer he took 2 months off
Old 07-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #10
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,696

I have a torn labrum in my shoulder found by an MRI. Got a steroid shot about 4 years ago haven't had pain since. Needless to say, I never scheduled the surgery they wanted me to have.

Mike.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:02 AM   #11
Pro

I have gotten many steroid shots and they don't do much anymore.
The next shots will be some gel stuff?? It needs to be fixed.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:44 AM   #12
Pro

It's probably too late, but I know a few guys that swear by peptides for repairing banged up joints and tendons.

Technically illegal for human use....but you can get them for your race horses. No different than testosterone I guess, it's just a compound that your body makes a lot more of when you are young, and as production slows, your injuries stack up faster.

BPC-157 and TB-500. The former is site specific, you inject near the injury, the latter is supposed to be systemic, it heals the body as a whole.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #13
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,814

Quote:
I know a few guys did it and they love it and enjoy life in a much better way.
One of the guys he was an older gentleman he was my kitchen salesman, his knees got so bad he could hardly walk up a few steps.
I couldn't believe when he returned back to work after it was done and after the recovery, I couldn't keep up with him going up a flight of steps and I was 30 years younger at the time

Today its a new ball game, new technology, and much quicker recovery time (depending on the person of course).

If you decide to go for it Good Luck!
Dirtywhiteboy (07-30-2020), Rio (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,388

The only advice I can offer is....exercise the leg before the surgery (start now).
Even with meniscus repair (mine), getting the muscles in shape is directly related to recovery time. I didn't take the advice and paid for it. Quite a few people I know who got new knees have said the same thing...those that exercised were much better off than those who didn't.

― Will Durant
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
griz (07-30-2020), Rio (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
I have gotten many steroid shots and they don't do much anymore.
The next shots will be some gel stuff?? It needs to be fixed.
The gel shots are pretty cool, I've had a bunch. You can feel your knee spreading apart as the gel goes in, some of them are fairly thin and you dont feel it.

One of them came out of what looked like a mini caulking gun with a 4" needle, Dr. went deep in the knee but did not really hurt, just lots of pressure. Was supposed to last 6 months, lasted 1 month

If you do have it replaced post surgery exercise is super important, breaking up scar tissue if you don't is very painful
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,026

There's a technique used in the military sometimes. From what I'm told, it's some kind of setting plastic and cartilage matrix that's injected, lightly shaped by hand, and is good to go in an hour or two. Good for multiple years if you're active, but you can tear it just like cartilage tears.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
There's a technique used in the military sometimes. From what I'm told, it's some kind of setting plastic and cartilage matrix that's injected, lightly shaped by hand, and is good to go in an hour or two. Good for multiple years if you're active, but you can tear it just like cartilage tears.
What I'm looking at is they take and mill down the ends of both top and bottom bone and glue and dowel in a new end to both bones. I looked at a video on it,, it was harsh to look at.
hdavis (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #18
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 490

How old are you Randy?

Mine will need done in the next couple years also. I had Meniscus repair and microfracture about 5 years ago. The surgeon told me I was probably 10 years out for replacement on both knees. I got steroids injected about 18 months ago, and that helped, so I will likely go with that again soon just to get by. I am 53.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
How old are you Randy?

Mine will need done in the next couple years also. I had Meniscus repair and microfracture about 5 years ago. The surgeon told me I was probably 10 years out for replacement on both knees. I got steroids injected about 18 months ago, and that helped, so I will likely go with that again soon just to get by. I am 53.
I had my Meniscus repaired also,, I got about 5 years on you,, I try not to think about it,,
Old 07-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
What I'm looking at is they take and mill down the ends of both top and bottom bone and glue and dowel in a new end to both bones. I looked at a video on it,, it was harsh to look at.
I did a job for an ortho, and how he described his work reaffirmed to me that I couldn't be a Dr.

"We just put all the parts backtogether so they look good, then glue and tape them up and close the hole"

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post: