Hiring And Work Ethic - Health & Safety - Contractor Talk

Hiring And Work Ethic

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #1

Trade: concrete, excavation
Rewards Points: 10

Hiring And Work Ethic

First off i am quite open minded, i will hire ANYONE that i see potential in, but where do you draw the line. I have no problem with tatoos and piercings, but why do people show up to interview with there piercings in, it discourages me mainly to a safety point due degloving and other obvious reasons. If hired i tell them no jewelery or piercings on job site, i will accept wedding bands for most phases of a job, but i only allow one warning, the second is termination. Anyone have thoughts on this subject or different ways to go about it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torchd33 For This Useful Post:
Phil's corner (01-20-2011), TBFGhost (05-05-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,714

Re: Hiring And Work Ethic

IMO, you'd be better off getting over your perceived observations. It's a tough thing to get over. If the individual shows up on time, has the knowledge & expertise to do the job what more can you ask for. So long as it is not a danger to them or anyone else let them make you money. Believe me, no one had a harder time getting over this than me. You'll be better off when you do.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #3

I am over it, the tatoos absolutely no problem, you can have sleeves for all that i care, but the piercings usually come with it. Last thing i want or need is someone to get half there nose or ear ripped off because something hooked there piercing. Its nothing but a safety precaution. My mothers cousin had half the skin of his face ripped off about 15 years ago by a backhoe. It was a freak accident, he didnt have any piercings, but the piercings are just something easy to hook onto. I have also worked in the oil fields and done work in the mining industry. These types of clients are who i want to get in good with, and they will not allow even a wedding band on site. Should i start giving safety incentives now, i am a small business, or wait until i have a lot of these jobs, as it will be a requrement of the contract im sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,714

You and your people will need to go with the flow. What is ok on one job, insurance wise or other, may not fly on another. IMO, ear, nose, lip & eye brow piercing may be a tough argument for safety & may not be worth the effort.
Wow, if my wife read this she laugh her a$$ off.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #5

I do understand that and i hire people that hav the piercings if there experience is worth and these guys usually have no problem with my rules and adhere to them. Some of my best employees have had piercings, Its mainly the fresh laborers, they conform until they get in good and show me that they are excellent workers anddo have the potential to become skilled operators or finishers or whatever, then they think they are unstoppable and dont think its aserious rule, and it makes it tough for me to let them go. I tell them over and over but some people just dont get it. Im not the only one with this type of safety rule in my area, but a lot of it is not enforced because they are bigger companies.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #6

By the way i am only 30 years old, so most of these guys are people that are mainly my generation, i have one employee that is older than i by one year and he is my foreman. I grew up around everyone getting the piercings and what not but have also seen many accidents that could have been prevented by simple precautions of taking off your jewelery.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
Repair/Remodeling Tech.

Trade: Repair and Remodeling Services
Rewards Points: 124

Quote:
but i only allow one warning, the second is termination
Quote:
I tell them over and over but some people just dont get it

IMO this is part of your problem. If you tell them up front that they get one warning and then it's bye-bye...stick to that.

(BTW, if you don't tell them that, and it's just an unspoken thing within your own mind, stop that....tell them the day you hire them in no uncertain terms..."you get ONE, and only ONE warning on my rules...they're there for a reason, and it's not so I can be an a$$...either follow them, or your gone, no matter how good you are")

But then you have to follow through with that. (Assuming that you do), you SAY "one warning...second is termination" but then you DO, to use your own words, "tell them over and over again". You will be taken more seriously if you follow through with your threats.

If nothing else, it will wake up the rest of the crew when Bob got his one warning on Tuesday and when he came in with his jewelry in on Thursday, he was unemployed on Friday.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #8

When i say over and over again, its part of any meeting conducted, it will come up sooner or later. i tell them when hired and i follow through with it, have many times, if it happens twice in month. If it happens twice in six
months im gonna warn them again, as it is part of there life and is forgettable, as they are allowed a personal life and i have no say in what they do at home. They get after me when i forget to put my hardhat on when applicable, big difference is i cant get fired, but it happens and i will own up to it. The way people (former employers) have explained it to me, im an easy guy to work with, but hard to work for cause my expectations are so high, but they should be, if my guys want something to make there job easier and more efficient its theres, so i believe my expectations are warranted which my former employers would also say, since i learned that from them. Keep employees happy and they keep you happy. It does work for the most part.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I always say it has to go job by job...every one has a different feeling then the next job. If its your policy then just stick to it. When i go to do estimates for first time customers...im all dressed up everything is nice. But after you have been to a customers house a few times and done work there is no use showing up in pressed clothes to paint? If the customer sees you in painted on clothes and thinks your messy after the 5th project then somewhere in the first 4 you did something.

point being sometimes whats on the outside isnt whats on the inside.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd like to hire a guy who can't speak...a mute basically. I would pay top dollar for that.

Mike
AmeliaP (01-06-2011), CookeCarpentry (01-06-2011), Framer53 (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 3,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Plumbing View Post
I'd like to hire a guy who can't speak...a mute basically. I would pay top dollar for that.

Mike
Same thing I look for, but it seems I always end up hiring the ones that can't hear.
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Warren (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
Same thing I look for, but it seems I always end up hiring the ones that can't hear.
Now that's funny right there!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

when i started as an apprentice our other apprentice had several piercings, he was made to take out hte nose and eyebrow piercing, the boss let him keep the ear piercing in but had to cover it with hockey tape just so it wouldnt snag up.

i have a few friends that arent in the industry which have "other parts" pierced both male and female. personally i think its just wrong and they have to stop watching the nudey flicks. one such person was jumping a fence and had the nipple piercing get hooked,, rippped his nip 1/2 off from what im told
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.

There is nothing wrong with setting dress and appearance guidelines for your company that all employees must follow. For instance, you can have all the tats you want, just nothing visible while at work. You can have all the piercings you want, there is no jewelry allowed at work, or at least your field crews are restricted for safety reasons.

If they know coming in what is expected, they can't beotch about it later.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
Level 27 Contractor

Trade: Renovation

Quote:

Mike
sounds counter productive, whos gonna tell you the waters off?

Check out my gallery here http://on.fb.me/I2XylV
Check out my blog here http://sebastianbethke1337.wordpress.com/
Old 01-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #16

Woodwork, thats what im looking for, all piercings should be removed or taped(ive never thought of this) that definitely would work.

On another note, i know a few guys with a prince albert piercing, not in the construction industry. what about a guy with a prince albert piercing falling on that fence ouch.Thanks everyone
Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #17
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Quote:

Mike
I can STFU, if the price is right. Make me an offer, I'll be here, mouth shut and ears open.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #18

Trade: gc
Rewards Points: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
There is nothing wrong with setting dress and appearance guidelines for your company that all employees must follow. For instance, you can have all the tats you want, just nothing visible while at work. You can have all the piercings you want, there is no jewelry allowed at work, or at least your field crews are restricted for safety reasons.

If they know coming in what is expected, they can't beotch about it later.

I totally agree with this and if the guys thought I was a royal 'pita' (pain in
the a..) many years ago for setting these guidelines ... I was even worse
after spending some time with my periodontist and hearing her freak out about coming home and some guy working on her high end remodel/addition with his shirt off and a nipple ring. The phone call produced the general on site immediately and from that time on ... there was a dress code set for everyone who showed up.

I questioned a couple of guy contractors I've had the opportunity to work with over the years to get a male perspective on this touchy issue, and they flat said the same ... the majority of our customers don't look like that and a dress code should be expected. We are professionals, whether we work with wood or any other product.

Appearance is still a big thing ... What is under their clothes ... who cares as long as I and my customer can't see it.

Bernie
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 432

Gee, I guess I am old school. No tobacco use of any kind. No facial hair, no visible tattoos and no visible piercings. Drug tests before hiring and random testing afterwards. Breath-based alcohol testing if I smell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to txgencon For This Useful Post:
TBFGhost (05-05-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #20
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 12,991

No facial hair? I've had a mustache since it showed up. And you would disqualify me a job because of that? I could understand no foot long beards and such, but no facial hair?

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut