Fire Alarm For Shop - Health & Safety - Contractor Talk

Fire Alarm For Shop

Old 12-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 740

Fire Alarm For Shop

Is there some way to have a smoke detector in my shop that would notify my phone if it went off?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,616

Re: Fire Alarm For Shop

google "fire alarm to notify cell phone"

seems to be many choices.

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
google "fire alarm to notify cell phone"

seems to be many choices.
That's part of the problem. Sifting through all that and wondering who to believe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 540

My nest does, last time it notified me I knew my wife was home attempting to do what she considers cooking.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Inner10 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 412

Nest does for sure IF you have Wifi access.

I was 35 miles South when my Nest smoke alarm went off, and sent me a note to my phone. Called my now wife who couldn't get there fast enough. Called my neighbor, who called his mother, also a neighbor and was trying to decide if I should call the Fire Department or not. Since only one smoke alarm was going off I held off. Got a call from the neighbor a minute later that his mom walked down and everything appeared okay. Wound up sending both smoke alarms back to Nest and getting new ones due to failures. Promptly returned them to Home Depot.

My neighbors girlfriend was able to figure out her house was on fire during the Tubb's fire because her alarm system said the sprinklers and smoke alarms were going off right before they...stopped. She now lives with him, as her house is ashes. There was no fire department to call at that time though as I did call to no avail. Typically though the fire department will respond to an alarm systems fire detection. With the police showing up for the theft alarm going off. Think Comcast alarm, ATD, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter_C For This Useful Post:
griz (12-11-2018), Lettusbee (12-12-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

If you want a relatively simple pain free one, check out LEEO. They don't really "integrate" with anything, but it constantly "listens" for the sound the alarm makes, and the company makes phone calls and sends texts as well as an app notification. It will work with water alarms, smoke alarm, and carbon monoxide alarms, so you don't have to purchase "new" alarms. I can't really say anything bad about it, and it has always worked as designed. There is no battery backup, and it is wifi only.

It does support multiple units in the same app, so have them deployed in multiple locations.

Another choice is a smart hub and some smart smoke detectors/alarms. Im partial to samsung smartthings, but there are others. It will integrate with a lot of things, like cameras, temperature/motion sensors, water sensors, etc. First alert makes a wired (power) and a wireless (two AA) Z- wave connected smoke alarm/carbon monoxide unit. I have not found a "voice phone call" option.

Obviously, you can setup things how you like, in either instance, you can always install some cameras. I like the LEEO only because its a phone call- and not just a text. Anyone with a phone can receive this call, even land lines.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmax718 For This Useful Post:
Lettusbee (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 3,706

Nest
Old 12-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 50

I had a wall smoldering in our house behind the fireplace, nest texted me saying the kitchen alarm was going off. I went right back home from a job, started to pull off the smoking paneling, wall burst into flames once opened up. Put it out with a fire extinguisher. If it wasn’t for the nest I think I would’ve came home to a lot worse. Probably would have had the fire company involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micahmye For This Useful Post:
mrcat (12-18-2018), Peter_C (12-18-2018)