The Cannabis Industry Has A Lot To Learn About Safety - Health & Safety - Contractor Talk

The Cannabis Industry Has A Lot To Learn About Safety

Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

Trade: Prefabricated Grow Rooms
Rewards Points: 2

The Cannabis Industry Has A Lot To Learn About Safety

Now that recreational marijuana is legal in many states, growers have a lot to learn about how to grow and extract in a safety environment. What are the most common safety issues contractors are finding when assisting growers and extraction companies in the cannabis industry?

I find that most people in this industry have a lot to learn...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling/Everything
Rewards Points: 284

Re: The Cannabis Industry Has A Lot To Learn About Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podtronix View Post
Now that recreational marijuana is legal in many states, growers have a lot to learn about how to grow and extract in a safety environment. What are the most common safety issues contractors are finding when assisting growers and extraction companies in the cannabis industry?

Pre recreational "legalization" I knew a few people working for some people who were taking the legal amount of plants and whatnot to the fringes. They had botanists and scientists which was smart, but from what friends told me, the electrical setup was always insane and rarely done to any sort of code. They were running dozens to hundreds of high pressure sodium lamps which pull 400-1000+ watts each, as well as high current draw fans, filters, water pumps,etc etc. While fires were not common they did happen and were almost always electrical fires.

I don't know anything about growing the pots, and really don't have an opinion on its merits or detriments, but large scale grow operations in residential neighborhoods should not be allowed due to the inherent danger of combining huge amounts of electricity, heat and liquids in confined spaces. My number one recommendation would to either get an electrical engineering degree, or hire someone who does or really has a deep understanding of electrical systems.

Second would be to fire harden the structure as best as possible, IE non combustible building materials only (metal studs, double sheet rock, concrete or tile floor, hard wire everything in conduit) don't keep piles of dead, dried out leaves and stems lying around, or any combustible waste for that matter. From there, whatever you want to do is up to the grower. Overbuild safety, don't cut corners in building to save a few dollars, don't be an idiot.

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podtronix View Post

Recreational pot is illegal in all 50 states.

Mike.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,972

In fact all pot is illegal in all states.

Mike.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRThomas View Post
Pre recreational "legalization" I knew a few people working for some people who were taking the legal amount of plants and whatnot to the fringes. They had botanists and scientists which was smart, but from what friends told me, the electrical setup was always insane and rarely done to any sort of code. They were running dozens to hundreds of high pressure sodium lamps which pull 400-1000+ watts each, as well as high current draw fans, filters, water pumps,etc etc. While fires were not common they did happen and were almost always electrical fires.

I don't know anything about growing the pots, and really don't have an opinion on its merits or detriments, but large scale grow operations in residential neighborhoods should not be allowed due to the inherent danger of combining huge amounts of electricity, heat and liquids in confined spaces. My number one recommendation would to either get an electrical engineering degree, or hire someone who does or really has a deep understanding of electrical systems.

Second would be to fire harden the structure as best as possible, IE non combustible building materials only (metal studs, double sheet rock, concrete or tile floor, hard wire everything in conduit) don't keep piles of dead, dried out leaves and stems lying around, or any combustible waste for that matter. From there, whatever you want to do is up to the grower. Overbuild safety, don't cut corners in building to save a few dollars, don't be an idiot.
You suggesting pot heads will OVER ENGINEERED something and then keep it clean? (Joke)
Old 11-15-2018, 03:17 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBailey1041 View Post
You suggesting pot heads will OVER ENGINEERED something and then keep it clean? (Joke)
Well, they could at least over engineer the drawings. Unfortunately they would forget where they left them, and would subsequently wire the building up with some left over Monster Cable they had since 1997. (also kind of a joke)
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
In fact all pot is illegal in all states.

Mike.
Yeah, this is true. Federally it is still illegal, some state governments just choose not to observe or enforce the laws and the feds were more or less leashed under the Obama administration. Trump has publicly said he thinks prosecutions should happen but he says lots of things. They still can, and do in certain instances, arrest and prosecute for growing/trafficking and I'm pretty sure, however ridiculous, marijuana is still a schedule 1 narcotic in the eyes of federal law enforcement.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,914

What is this doing in the "Tool" thread?
Old 11-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #9
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 5,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
What is this doing in the "Tool" thread?
A mod must have been high when it was moved.....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (11-15-2018), tgeb (11-15-2018), TimNJ (11-15-2018), TRThomas (11-15-2018), WBailey1041 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,914

I wouldn't pigeon hole the cannabis growers. Farming in general has a lot of hazardous elements to it.
Quite a few barns around me have burned down over the years due to electrical "issues".
Old 11-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,802

I'm learning about safety also, trying to figure out how to get this bud out without breaking the bottle and cutting my self.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cannabis industry has a lot to learn about safety-image-3.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by greg24k; 11-16-2018 at 10:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
Easy Gibson (11-27-2018), TimNJ (11-16-2018)