So, How Many Bad-Guys In Your Hood?? - Low Voltage - Contractor Talk

So, How Many Bad-Guys In Your Hood??

Old 09-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
The Security Guy...

Trade: "Alarm Company" CCTV PERS GPS 24Hr LV AV
Rewards Points: 75

So, How Many Bad-Guys In Your Hood??

I thought this would be an interesting topic!

We have seen a tremendous increase in crime especially burglaries, home invasions, auto theft, theft from autos, copper theft, graffiti, vandalism, owner arson, etc - etc...

As an alarm company we are always trying to protect people from these and other violations so we follow these statistics all the time. It's amazing how different it is now compared to just last year.

I think the economy, of course, has caused a lot of the issues as were seeing good-guys becoming bad-guys because they lost their jobs (mama and the kids are hungry - dad does what he has to do)

Here in Indiana we lost 16,500 jobs in July alone! We are heavy in the RV, trailer, camper industry, and all the companies feeding them with parts.

How are things in your neck of the woods...

Jim

Here's another thought, a couple weeks back, while sitting on my front porch on our county road, I noticed 6 nine to eleven year old boys walking into the neighborhood across from us - all wearing red t shirts to their knees (future bad-guys)...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Low Voltage Contractor

Trade: C-7

Re: So, How Many Bad-Guys In Your Hood??

Lots of scumbags stealing copper around here. They hit churches and schools overnight. I think it's a result of the cost of copper and how much recycling centers are buying it back for. I've heard of legislation that would require recyclers to pay by check instead of cash and requiring IDs so that it can be traced back to the perp. Darn I was just at the state DOJ, I could have asked about local crime stats. I think they are actually down in my neighborhood. One correction, good-guys don't become bad-guys. Good-guys just find other, legal ways to put bread on the table.

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #3

Trade: Structured Cabling
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security101 View Post
I thought this would be an interesting topic!

We have seen a tremendous increase in crime especially burglaries, home invasions, auto theft, theft from autos, copper theft, graffiti, vandalism, owner arson, etc - etc...

As an alarm company we are always trying to protect people from these and other violations so we follow these statistics all the time. It's amazing how different it is now compared to just last year.

I think the economy, of course, has caused a lot of the issues as were seeing good-guys becoming bad-guys because they lost their jobs (mama and the kids are hungry - dad does what he has to do)

Here in Indiana we lost 16,500 jobs in July alone! We are heavy in the RV, trailer, camper industry, and all the companies feeding them with parts.

How are things in your neck of the woods...

Jim

Here's another thought, a couple weeks back, while sitting on my front porch on our county road, I noticed 6 nine to eleven year old boys walking into the neighborhood across from us - all wearing red t shirts to their knees (future bad-guys)...
Security101 , do you use the local crime stats in areas to help you with your security system, target market? Seems like people always add them only after their neighbors house gets hit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

[quote=Security101;494601I noticed 6 nine to eleven year old boys walking into the neighborhood across from us - all wearing red t shirts to their knees (future bad-guys)...[/quote]

They are part of an insidious gang... The Red Riding Hoods

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security101 View Post
I noticed 6 nine to eleven year old boys walking into the neighborhood across from us - all wearing red t shirts to their knees (future bad-guys)...
Probably to cover the fact that their pants were hanging down to their knees too.
How that can be even a little comfortable is beyond me.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
The Security Guy...

Trade: "Alarm Company" CCTV PERS GPS 24Hr LV AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC Marco View Post
Security101 , do you use the local crime stats in areas to help you with your security system, target market? Seems like people always add them only after their neighbors house gets hit.
I don't really use it, we do have one that is a daily updated link - problem is it only shows about 30% of what's really happening. I monitor the police frequencies regularly and hear a lot more than whats showing up.

I'm pretty much referral based and don't usually have to go look for work, but I do see where I get referred to are heavier hit areas and the close proximity to those areas.

Quote:
They are part of an insidious gang... The Red Riding Hoods

Jim
Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Happy story here. Guy came out for pictures for insurance company on our place ( which is not much to brag about), he walked walked down the neighbors driveway who pulled a gun on him. Nope, you dont want to fool around where I live.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Kitchen and bath design+remodel
Rewards Points: 500

This crime that shocked our community happened at a coffee shop in the same business park that the local builders supply is in, only if there could have been 20 construction guys there to beat the guy down! http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/us/02tacoma.html
Old 12-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student
Rewards Points: 500

My 97 year old grandpa just got his house broken into a couple weeks ago...I took him to the hospital to get an x-ray and my mom who lives right next door left to go to the grocery store and when she got back she took the mail over to his house and saw that someone kicked the front door in...They took a safe out of his room with over 10k worth of old coins. The sherriff said they come down from the city (my family lives out in the country) and knock on people's doors during the day and if no one answers they break in. They said most of the time they're only there for a couple minutes as they know most older people keep all of their valuables in their bedrooms...Just sucks because in the last couple years it seems there have been a lot of burglaries in this area....never remembered it being likes this and before a lot of people in the small town where my family is would always leave their doors unlocked during the days...
Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

I don't know any one who likes a thief. I have a security system in place and have had only one potential occurrence. My security system brand is Ruger.
The Following User Says Thank You to izzy For This Useful Post:
Ayerzee (12-02-2009)
Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

My first post here, and prehaps a little off subject, but...
Burglers come in three flavors.
(1) Residental. This is where they all start. 12 to 28 year old male. Lives within 1.5 miles of his target. This is because he has no car. His take goes to drugs. Starts by getting your name from the mail box. Cold calls you on the phone, hanging up or feigning wrong number, until he has an idea when you are not home. Follow up call to the front door. If you answer, he has an excuse for being at the wrong door. If you are not honme, he heads to the side gate, and the side door into the garage. Most likely unlocked. If locked, he goes to the sliding patio door. If this is locked, he throws something through it.
Once inside, the clock starts. 7 minutes until the cops arrive. Valubles are always in master bedroom. Strip off a pillow case, and starts loading. This is exciting work, he may have to take a pee. You work from the master bedroom back to the point of entry. Being growing men, they may also hit the fridge. If the house doesn't have enough loot, take the damn entertainment gear. Stash the stuff in a neighbors yard, and take it home later. Head off to the next customer visit.

(2) Commercial. This guy has graduated from residential and takes on bigger lots. (Big wire jobs). This guy got his degree in the joint, and does not want to go back to class. The most dangerous guy out there. The number of women in this class is higher. Cold, cold, women.

(3) Professional. This is the guy they make movies about. May have never been caught, and never carrys a weapon. Has learned locksmithing and alarms. Picks his clients carefully. Art, jewels, and large amounts of cash. Again, the percentage of women is even higher in this class.

I once met a retired San Francisco burg detective who caught a pair of professionals, and it was an accident. He was on a stake out, and saw these two men walk by him and into an apartment building, one carrying a brief case. A few minutes later they left, and both had brief cases. They were unarmed, and gave up without a fight. They knew it is better to be cordial, do the time, get out, and get back to work without the longer sentence you get for being resistent. They were gay, met "clients" in gay clubs, and went home with them. Talk about casing the joint. If they found a keeper, they kept in touch with him, and planned a visit, in broad daylight, with a lock pick kit. They had been doing it for decades, and their last conviction had been 12 years prior. They did a couple of years, and were right back at work.

BTW, a large number of rapists are residental guys who find a woman sleeping in that bedroom.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #12

Trade: Structured Cabling
Rewards Points: 25

Wow that is scary you do know what you are up against out there. I think I will go home and fortify my house after reading that.

Now that you mentioned some of those tactics they use on finding out when you are home reminds me of some strange instances like that and shortly afterwords my neighbors homes were hit.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Thats right Marco, tell your neighbors to quit bringing home those cute well dressed guys from the .... never mind.

Advertisement