R6 Or RG6 Big Difference ? - Low Voltage - Contractor Talk

R6 Or RG6 Big Difference ?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Carpenter/fencing

Trade: Carpenter/Fence contractor
Rewards Points: 504

R6 Or RG6 Big Difference ?

A few years ago i ran all new coax thru out the house is it worth upgrading to the RG6 ? Is it that much better.The reason i'm asking is i have practically tv's in everyroom in the house, and i know the RG6 is a bit more expensive, installing it is not a problem (drop ceilings in basement) My second question is i'm not getting the best signals to my plasma which conincidently is the futhest from the 8 way splitter with one of those being split twice because i counldn't find a ten way splitter. Is there something i can use to improve the signal just to that tv ? Its approx a 25' run. I do use an HDMI cable from the cable box,which is approx 12' and run under the floor to a cabinet housing the cable box. A signal amp ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 101

Re: R6 Or RG6 Big Difference ?

Actually I'm surprised that the cable box on your plasma works at all. Everything you have is wrong.

If you are thinking of re-running the cables DO IT! Absolutely use an RG-6 cable. Each location needs to be home run back to where your splitters are.

If I were you I would run the cable and get the cable company to install the connectors and provide the split and amplifier. Not to be mean, but they have the right tools and materials and should know what they are doing.

-Hal

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Use RG6 and amp it. Any time you split that many times you should use a 1-port amp (+15db) then hit your 8-way unless you have a cable modem, in which case you should at least use a 2-way splitter (3db loss per leg) and run one leg to the modem and one to your amp, etc.. If you have a modem or voice over ip phone, it is ideal to use a dc-6 type splitter instead of a 2-way before the amp..

clear as mud? If you reply I'll clarify, I've had a rough day so may not make any sense..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
Actually I'm surprised that the cable box on your plasma works at all. Everything you have is wrong.

If you are thinking of re-running the cables DO IT! Absolutely use an RG-6 cable. Each location needs to be home run back to where your splitters are.

If I were you I would run the cable and get the cable company to install the connectors and provide the split and amplifier. Not to be mean, but they have the right tools and materials and should know what they are doing.

-Hal

the key words being, "should know what they're doing."

Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
the key words being, "should know what they're doing."

TRUE! Make sure you get a sub-contractor (i.e. someone who works to eat) a cable employee usually don't have a clue about anything!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Attached Images

Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #7

you need to calculate your signal loss from your splitters and the length of your runs (for line loss) then get the appropriate amplifier to compensate accordingly. unless you understand (completely) how it works and are familiar with it, leave it to the pros, a reputable pro, that is.

its easy to plug in a bunch of coax's to a splitter, run it to where you need it, and call it a day. it might work but certainly not at optimal performance. youll get hesitation/pixelation, ghosting, or just keep dropping the "2 wire" connection if going to a digital tuner. those are just a few of the many things needed to be taken into account.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
lol
Old 08-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Low Voltage Contractor

Trade: C-7
Rewards Points: 75

PM me and I'll send you a PDF from when I worked with Dish on how to calculate Db loss
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #10

Okay, since you have insulted the honor of cable employees, I shall have to respond to this in kind.

First of all; Never use anything over a four way. You should be able to, from your panel, split the appropriate amount of times without it. It will also make it much easier to add legs to your system later.

I would normally ask questions like; Are you running a MTA (phone system) through your cable? Do you have a modem on the system? (Internet) I will assume you do not as you did not mention any.

WAY ONE
If you have ten lines get an amp, four porter will be fine. +7.5 db on each leg. Run two, two ways (-3.5 db per leg) and two three ways (-3.5db on one leg, -7db on two). Re-rerun with RG6. And you will be one hundred percent fine.

WAY TWO
You can go with a one port amp as well (+15db). Run a three way, to two four ways and a two way.

The reason you are having signal issues is because that old line doesn't carry the signal as well. It is also susceptible, due to the thickness, to ingress and egress (radio signal getting into your copper.) If you are REALLY concerned with it, run RG6 quad shield. Though to be honest, it shouldn't really make any very large difference.

Justin
Pentecostpainting.com
Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comcontractor View Post
Okay, since you have insulted the honor of cable employees, I shall have to respond to this in kind.

First of all; Never use anything over a four way. You should be able to, from your panel, split the appropriate amount of times without it. It will also make it much easier to add legs to your system later.

I would normally ask questions like; Are you running a MTA (phone system) through your cable? Do you have a modem on the system? (Internet) I will assume you do not as you did not mention any.

WAY ONE
If you have ten lines get an amp, four porter will be fine. +7.5 db on each leg. Run two, two ways (-3.5 db per leg) and two three ways (-3.5db on one leg, -7db on two). Re-rerun with RG6. And you will be one hundred percent fine.

WAY TWO
You can go with a one port amp as well (+15db). Run a three way, to two four ways and a two way.

The reason you are having signal issues is because that old line doesn't carry the signal as well. It is also susceptible, due to the thickness, to ingress and egress (radio signal getting into your copper.) If you are REALLY concerned with it, run RG6 quad shield. Though to be honest, it shouldn't really make any very large difference.

Justin
Pentecostpainting.com

Appreciate your input.................But did you check the date of the post?????

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 12-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
Appreciate your input.................But did you check the date of the post?????

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Handle It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post

That is SUCH a great picture!!!!!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
Fentoozler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
That is SUCH a great picture!!!!!
One of the best IMHO

....and like the dog ~ Justin never saw it coming

Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #15

LOL! Thats awesome. I didn't even look at the 2007 part. Well done me!

Although, I do see some other 2008 dates. So atleast I am not alone in my stupidity.

Last edited by Comcontractor; 12-04-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #16
Fentoozler

Good show Justin

I like your attitude

Old 12-05-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
Handle It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
Good show Justin

I like your attitude

Yup!!!!

A Real Trooper!!! Certainly "One of Us"!

Now go and Introduce yerself if you have not done so already!!!!

https://www.contractortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Advertisement

Ultimate Wisdom---------

Last edited by MALCO.New.York; 12-05-2008 at 06:42 AM.