Electrical License In PA - Low Voltage - Contractor Talk

Electrical License In PA

Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Security Alarm Installer (Low Voltage)
Rewards Points: 1,054

Electrical License In PA

Just found out today (April 6, 2007) that the great state of Pennsylvania is once again or just now trying to come up with a law to get Electricans to be licensed.

Except that a low voltage technician is going to be locked out.

House Bill 254

(f) Exceptions to licensure. This act shall not apply to and a license shall not be required for the following:

(1) The replacement of lamps and fuses.

(2) The connection of portable electrical appliances to permanently installed receptacles.

(3) The installation, erection, repair, maintenance, removal, demolition or alteration of electrical equipment or electrical systems for generation, transmission and utilization of electrical energy owned or operated by a political subdivision, public utility, electrical cooperative corporation, school district, a railway or the Federal Government.

(4) Commercial radio and television transmission equipment.

(5) The installation, erection, repair, maintenance, removal, demolition or alteration of electrical equipment or electrical systems for the generation, transmission or utilization of electrical energy of less than ten volts.

(6) The installation, erection, repair, maintenance, removal, demolition or alteration of electrical equipment and systems for the generation, transmission and utilization of electrical energy in structures, facilities, buildings or premises owned or operated by the Federal Government.

Please take note to item #5. Who works on systems with voltage that is 10 volts or less.

My hope is that someone will get a wake up call on this one. Well I know that some are going to be knocking on doors real soon.

Les

Last edited by ABLE1; 01-13-2009 at 07:57 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Re: Electrical License In PA

While I'm not a big fan of government, I think that a statewide license would be an improvement over collecting a million little local licenses. It would certainly have to be cheaper.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
While I'm not a big fan of government, I think that a statewide license would be an improvement over collecting a million little local licenses. It would certainly have to be cheaper.
md,

Having a statewide license would have a lot of impact. Mostly for the good. However, I doubt that for those that actually wrote this HB254 could even screw in a lightbulb.

I can only hope that it was submitted in an attempt to get some intelligent and meaningful responses so that it could be improved before "da gov" lays pen on it.

Les
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #4

Trade: Resisendital, Commerical, Indrustrial
Rewards Points: 10

I read the House Bill. Only thing I have a question about it is. They are asking for 2 types. Apprentice and Journeyman. Does that mean the Masters, Resisendial Lic will be replace with a JM Lic? I do have all 3. If this is going to be the case, the ones with a Lic. should be grandfathered. Ones who don't should go throu like a plumber. So many hours (8000), and traing of such source, i.e. schooling. If they don't apply for the Apprentice Lic. This will keep most of the fly-by out of the scence.

There are many good Mechenics out their. But the Jack of all trades. Need not applied.

Just putting my two cents in.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRSElectric View Post
I read the House Bill. Only thing I have a question about it is. They are asking for 2 types. Apprentice and Journeyman. Does that mean the Masters, Resisendial Lic will be replace with a JM Lic? I do have all 3. If this is going to be the case, the ones with a Lic. should be grandfathered. Ones who don't should go throu like a plumber. So many hours (8000), and traing of such source, i.e. schooling. If they don't apply for the Apprentice Lic. This will keep most of the fly-by out of the scence.

There are many good Mechenics out their. But the Jack of all trades. Need not applied.

Just putting my two cents in.

Welcome to the forum WRS. You need to check your dates. I started this thread this back in 2007. I doubt anything earth shattering has happened since. At least I have heard about.

The state did pass the Contractor License requirement that is slated to start June or July 2009. You may want to look into that issue.

Have a nice day.

Les
Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLE1 View Post
The state did pass the Contractor License requirement that is slated to start June or July 2009. You may want to look into that issue.
do you have a link or reference on that? was just curious to read that; I hadn't heard of it and can't find it online either.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31b View Post
do you have a link or reference on that? was just curious to read that; I hadn't heard of it and can't find it online either.
Here you go.

Shaking in your shoes is not a requirement.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...vement-Act.pdf

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=3993

Have a good read and a good day.

Les
31b (01-12-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #8

That bill is for home improvement contractors, IE handyjerks. But I talked to a code enforcer today. He just received a letter today 1-12. It stated that the senate is going to vote on pa house bill254 in march of this year. And the bad news. Straight from him in the letter. The state will not accept current lic from municipalities within the state. Because they are not the IEEE test. But out of state lic will be accepted. After certain requirments are meet. Now thhat's is BS.

And like he said. All electricians have to get the lic. and apprentice have to get lic. But now we will have the ones who don't know Jack pulling permits. But he agreed on this. To pull a permit it should stay the master or resisential lic. But reg electrician just need a journeyman lic to do electrical work.
So welcome num-nuts of a electrician to our compention.

What Pa should do is adopt Alaska's lic requirements.

Last edited by WRSElectric; 01-13-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #9
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Able1

I hope I do not offend...............But your AVATAR is nearly offensive to this New Yorker!

Yo esse Paco!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Synacom

Trade: Information Transport Systems Installer
Rewards Points: 89

So alarms, phones, paging systems, etc. are going to require a license because of the 10 volt clause. 70 volts is typical for the cutoff point between LV and HV in my experience. So nobody in PA can get a phone installed unless it's by a licensed electrician??? Something smells like a union here...
Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
Able1

I hope I do not offend...............But your AVATAR is nearly offensive to this New Yorker!

Yo esse Paco!

Malco,

Glad to hear it is only "nearly offensive". There is a very funny story around my AVATAR but it is far too long to type here.

No habla, si.

Have a good day.

Les
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLE1 View Post
Malco,

Glad to hear it is only "nearly offensive". There is a very funny story around my AVATAR but it is far too long to type here.

No habla, si.

Have a good day.

Les

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
Pro

To All,

Please be clear.

The "Contractor" registertration/license "law" is passed and will be active July 1, 2009.

The electrical license has NOT been fully voted on and has NOT been signed by the governor yet. Still time to lobby your state reps. FOR OR AGAINST!!

Have a good day.

Les
Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I think statewide licenses are a good idea, especially for electricians, General contractors, roofers, plumbers, a/c etc. there should be a limited energy license category for telephone, data and alarms.

I am surprised that PA hasn't required this years ago.

This could be why the people from up north when they come to Florida start a business without becoming licensed, because they had little to no standards in regards to licensing where they came from.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #15

Trade: Electrical Contractor

Pennsylvania will never have a state license until Democrats are no longer in power. As Past President of The Electrical Contractors Assoc of Phila & Vicinity, Our group and myself have been actively pursuing a State wide license for close to 30 years.Our last best chance for this happening was under former Governor Tom Ridge.He would have signed a State License into law had it reached his desk. Our bill was sponsered and passed by the senate, but shot down by the house. As recently as 4 or 5 years ago we tried again only to be told by the house democratic license chairman we would need local 98's approval. My argument with him was the fact that local 98 is no more than an organized labor pool who's members are neither contractors nor license holders, and therefore have no say in this process. And here we sit! Our billed closely mirrors NJ State license which would be good for PA, as NJ would reciprocate on license renewal requirements.I hope this gives you all some insight as to where we stand on this issue. As a new member here I look forward to discussing this and other issues.
Sniper
Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
Pennsylvania will never have a state license until Democrats are no longer in power. As Past President of The Electrical Contractors Assoc of Phila & Vicinity, Our group and myself have been actively pursuing a State wide license for close to 30 years.Our last best chance for this happening was under former Governor Tom Ridge.He would have signed a State License into law had it reached his desk. Our bill was sponsered and passed by the senate, but shot down by the house. As recently as 4 or 5 years ago we tried again only to be told by the house democratic license chairman we would need local 98's approval. My argument with him was the fact that local 98 is no more than an organized labor pool who's members are neither contractors nor license holders, and therefore have no say in this process. And here we sit! Our billed closely mirrors NJ State license which would be good for PA, as NJ would reciprocate on license renewal requirements.I hope this gives you all some insight as to where we stand on this issue. As a new member here I look forward to discussing this and other issues.
Sniper
I hate to differ. I am a Union Contractor with a Lic. And many members are lic. The Ibew has been for years tring to get a state lic. Ibew/Neca started this push. And for my state senator, he is going to say yes to the bill.

To clear up a item. Osha states that anything over 10 volts is classified as high voltage.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #17

Trade: Solar Electrician

I know this thread is old, but I just found this site.
The Pa contractors license is a joke. All you have to do is get insurance, fill out forms, and pay a small fee and you are a licensed whatever. No proof of training needed.
The state needs a statewide electrical license. And I think it should grandfather in those already licensed in a Pa locality.
Now, I have been noticing some help wanted ads, where the company is looking for a Pa State licensed sparky. Is this something new?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #18
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,131

Most likely the folks looking for a state licensed electrician are suffering from the same confusion as you.

It's not a license; it's registration. While I agree that it doesn't have much teeth, it does provide a modicum of traceability at least.

I disagree that we need even more licensing and regulation. Let the market determine whether you can make a living at a trade, not some government schlep verifying your test-taking skills.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #19

Trade: Electrical Contractor

As a northern Maryland contractor we have been looking for the information necessary to legitimately conduct business in southern PA. We have, so far, only been able to determine that there is no statewide Master Electrician license in PA as in MD. In MD, licensure is handled at the state and county level. The state license (optional) acts as a gateway license to each of the county licenses. A license in the county where the work is to be done is necessary to pull a permit. It appears that PA licensure seems to handled at the local (township not county) level only. This seems to be nothing more than a way for all the little burghs and townships to collect permit fee revenue. Do we really need to find and call the town hall of every little township or burrough that we might get a job in to get a license and a permit?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #20
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgallatin View Post
Do we really need to find and call the town hall of every little township or burrough that we might get a job in to get a license and a permit?
Pretty much, if you really want to CYA.

The great majority of the state requires neither licensing nor permits, but you do need to have inspections done. Most often you'll use an independent agency, but some of the larger towns (the same ones who require licensing) have inspectors on staff.

Sounds like we actually have it better here in PA. With both state and county licensing, MD is doing a bit of double-dipping.

Advertisement