200 Watt Malibu Transformer Will Not Run 150watts - Low Voltage - Contractor Talk

200 Watt Malibu Transformer Will Not Run 150watts

Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Brett Ashworth

Trade: Remodeling, Additions, Repairs
Rewards Points: 75

200 Watt Malibu Transformer Will Not Run 150watts

Im doing a project at home, and i am by no means a sparky, I'm better with wood, but anyways, I have 3 50w spots running off of a 200w malibu transformer. I turn it on and within 5 min the built-in circuit breaker on the transformer kicks. I let it cool down, and try it again, same thing. So then i unhook 1 of the 50w spots and try it with the 2 remaining ones (100w total) and it still kicks. Any ideas. the total run of the fead wire is 20 ft and its 14 awg
thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Automate Anything

Trade: Electrical, Home Automation, Home Theaters
Rewards Points: 75

Re: 200 Watt Malibu Transformer Will Not Run 150watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrehouseRemdlin View Post
Im doing a project at home, and i am by no means a sparky, I'm better with wood, but anyways, I have 3 50w spots running off of a 200w malibu transformer. I turn it on and within 5 min the built-in circuit breaker on the transformer kicks. I let it cool down, and try it again, same thing. So then i unhook 1 of the 50w spots and try it with the 2 remaining ones (100w total) and it still kicks. Any ideas. the total run of the fead wire is 20 ft and its 14 awg
thanks
Bad unit. replace Malibu. Also why not to use LED Spots ? They have them now in as close to yellowish halogen as possible and will run you about 15$ per piece on amazon. If that does not work running 150 on 200 will keep it fairly warm and in my opinion will get louder over the time as things expand.

Advertisement

we like them all at www.homemediapros.com