Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Whats the best hidden fastener system for mahogany?

10K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Snobnd 
#1 · (Edited)
Going to be starting a large Mahogany deck 1300sqft with a 16x16 screened porch over one section.

I have built dozens of decks, But actually this is the first customer that actually wants a hidden system. Thank god,( I may regret saying this later ha ). I cant stand seeing the screws..

SO with a hardwood what do you all suggest? Will i have to pre drill with a system like this ( should i start buying bulk drill bits ha)

Note i Know i DO NOT WANT the biscuit style. I have seen this on an IPE deck and i thought it looked horrible..
Also the decking will NOT be grooved
So i was thinking going the Deckmaster system? Thought on this?
Thanks for the advice in advance

Maybe pro's and con's would be nice to hear.

#3 ·
Deckmaster can be a pain unless you have EASY access to below 6' height is good (unless you're 6'6') and you can have someone below screwing while someone else is setting boards. If the decking is at an angle it'll be more of a pain than if it's straight.

It's still not going to be easy with a hardwood material, I had the luck of using it on a soft composite and it was moderately a pain, if I had to do it by myself, with hardwoods, on an angle I would probably shoot myself.

#6 ·
My vote would be the "Extreme Ipe Clips" coupled with PL premium. I've done several ipe decks with them now & couple were not the most ideal of conditions. No call backs yet. I do not use grooved boards, using a biscuit cutter instead. It's not fast but, the look is stunning especially once stained.

#7 ·
I have seen some pretty big jobs done with the L metal over here so I know it can be done but I am in the " what a pain that must be " camp.

For me and my Outfit pluging is the way to go with any hardwood decking. With the given we have a system down I still can not see using the clips and have it go faster or look better.

Good place to get drill bits >> www.biscotoolsupply.com <<

I just can't see going thru all that work and still seeing the clip and the screw.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input fella's... 👍 I have to do some thinking and figuring. have to see whats going to be more cost effective.
Hi! I have a similar sutuation, 1300 linear feet of mahogany, except, I’m a DIYer and replacing the exiting boards while reusing the joists. I just finished re-doing the box steps leading up to the decks. I chose to use a bostich nailer to match the existing deck - and had enough success doing that we decided to replace all the deck instead of the rotted sections so now I’m wondering nail, screw or hidden system. It’s 1x4 mahogany so I don’t think camo can be used (edit: there is a camo pro NB for narrow boards so it is possible). Deck master is too much of a pain. So it’d be screws, clips or biscuits. I rented a nail gun (ancient) for the stairs and it jammed every 7 nails or so. Nail is still possible but I wouldn’t rent a gun I’d buy it new. But the heads are very visible.

what did you choose? how did it come out?

what would you recommend now?

thanks!

pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.