Weatherbest Composite Decking Any Good? - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Weatherbest Composite Decking Any Good?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor -- Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Weatherbest Composite Decking Any Good?

To all you deck pros,

I just put together a bid for a deck using Weatherbest. After about a day of research, it seemed like a lot of the composites have trouble after a few years (Geodeck, Choicedek, and Trex). I read that Weatherbest was good stuff, but then a month after that article was written, the name got sold, so I wanted to know if anyone has had trouble with it since it changed ownership. (I've also gotten the impression that Timbertech is the best...is this correct?)
Also, mixed reviews about hidden fasteners: obviously it looks much cleaner, but for repairs or general hold-down strength, is it not worth the tradeoff? I suppose the hidden system matters too.

This deck is about 800 sf and will only be about 18" off the ground. The weather is very mild (Ventura, CA), about 10 miles from the ocean in SoCal.

Thanks for the input!
Dave

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 496

Re: Weatherbest Composite Decking Any Good?

Weatherbest has also had it's share of problems. I'm not sure if anymore problems have surfaced since the change of ownership.

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood View Post
Weatherbest has also had it's share of problems. I'm not sure if anymore problems have surfaced since the change of ownership.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 2,382

Lots of composite companies have had problems with their product, the three you mentioned more so than others I believe.

I have installed some weatherbest several years ago & lots of similar composites (fiberon, premier) here without a single call back. I would have no problem using it again if the customer was absolutely sold on it, tho I would try to upsell a better composite.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
Lots of composite companies have had problems with their product, the three you mentioned more so than others I believe.

I have installed some weatherbest several years ago & lots of similar composites (fiberon, premier) here without a single call back. I would have no problem using it again if the customer was absolutely sold on it, tho I would try to upsell a better composite.

Thanks; I was just starting to get paranoid that I was going to use a crap product.

Dave
Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I used it in the past nothing majorly wrong with it. Just a few little things that bugged me. Only reason I dont use it is there is much better out there and we are thinking about exclusively using Correct Deck CX period. I am working on a package setup so we can offer a lifetime warranty using CX and a steel frame. I think this can be a huge seller.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Deck/Remodeling Contractor

Weatherbest is one of the top 5 worst composite decking made. I refuse to use it.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIinc. View Post
Weatherbest is one of the top 5 worst composite decking made. I refuse to use it.
What don't you like about it?

Dave
Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

i too have given up on composites, until azec with procell technology sold me back
Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

how much are you guys charging sq ft for composite decks
Old 02-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

Refresh my memory Weatherbest is it the decking with two type of grain on it like one side is a wood style of grain and the other is just straight line texture. I usually work with Evergrain decking occasionally cedar.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #12
General contractor

Trade: General Contractor/ all structures
Rewards Points: 10

Buck25,
I've done alot of decks in the past and yes they all have had there share of problems , especially Trex i.e. cracking,deteriorating ( actually falling apart ) molding spots and the list goes on. I actuall was on the Trex website as a cerified general contractor to install Trex in my area ( Oregon ) and I will not use this product anymore. Too many customer complaints and claims are rooling on on there site. I've looked into Weatherbest adn did research adn found that even thou the company was bought and changed hands bought by Fiberon the product has been engineered and changed for the better with a 25 year warranty. as far as the fasterners love the hidden look and they are well worht the time it takes to install, much cleaner look and most important the customer love it....... good luck
Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 AM   #13
General contractor

Trade: General Contractor/ all structures

Oh and as far as my missed spelled words..... my mind types faster then my hands sorry next time i'll take the time to edit......lol
Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: General Contractor...Kitchens, Baths, Basements, Outdoor Living and Custom Homes
Rewards Points: 25

Weatherbest isn't bad at all. As with most of the composites, they each have their drawbacks.

The texture and color of each are all very subjective. I have my personal choices but customers can have very different opinions from each other so I just present all of them I can get and let them choose. I don't want to start talking up one that they really hate.

From an installation standpoint, Weatherbest has pros and cons. It seems to mushroom less than some of the others (Trex is the worst). It is relatively strong but that makes it brittle. Pre-drilling is an absolute must near the ends and on ripped pieces. Also you have to be gentle dropping it to the deck. Many times I have dropped a piece from about knee to waist high and it will snap in half. This happens the worst when it partially hangs off the rim joist so be careful. Otherwise I think it is a good product and it's scratch resistance is better than a lot of others. Some of the Timber Tech decking seems to scratch if I even think about dropping a screw.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #15

Thanks for the advice; I guess they just got bought out by Fiberon (now its more expensive), but my supply yard had just enough left over for my job.

Dave
Old 08-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #16

Trade: home building

Have you had problems with Black marks appearing on the Evergrain shortly after installation??
Old 08-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
Fine Deckbuilder

Trade: Deck business
Rewards Points: 250

For anybody thinks that Weatherbest is a good product please think again. I have done close to 40 decks with Weatherbest and stopped using it about 4 years ago. What happens is that it will crumble apart. How fast will depend on the environment. Just like Geo deck (one of the worst I've seen together with Eon. The picture should will tell the story. I'm tired of hearing that it is a bad batch!!
Attached Thumbnails
Weatherbest composite decking any good?-weatherbest_edited-1.jpg   Weatherbest composite decking any good?-geo.jpg  
Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #18
Fine Deckbuilder

Trade: Deck business
Rewards Points: 250

Just to clarify,
The top picture is Weatherbest (one I installed) 5 years ago.
The below pictures is Geo. Thank god I never did Geo.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 2,382

It must have something to do with colder/wet enviroments. I did lot of decks using weatherbest & similar decking & never saw any of those problems. Now the geodeck is whole other story, that stuff is crap wherever it's put on. However with the newer, better composites out there I try to steer customers towards them, or better yet to ipe. I have more faith in ipe than any composite & have turned many a customer away from using a composite to ipe instead.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
Money Changer

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemens View Post
For anybody thinks that Weatherbest is a good product please think again. I have done close to 40 decks with Weatherbest and stopped using it about 4 years ago. What happens is that it will crumble apart. How fast will depend on the environment. Just like Geo deck (one of the worst I've seen together with Eon. The picture should will tell the story. I'm tired of hearing that it is a bad batch!!

Those pictures are insane. I would lose my mind if that happened to either a deck I owned or installed

Advertisement