Uphill Gate Hinges?? - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Uphill Gate Hinges??

Old 07-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #1

Trade: Commercial GC
Rewards Points: 25

Uphill Gate Hinges??

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or is it common practice to design and plan fences so that all gates are either located in a flat area or swing to the downhill side?

I googled a bit but maybe just didn't search the right keywords.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Re: Uphill Gate Hinges??

I know they make "rising hinges" for walk-in refrigerators and freezers. Don't know if they make such a thing for gates or not.

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
I know they make "rising hinges" for walk-in refrigerators and freezers. Don't know if they make such a thing for gates or not.
I have never heard of such a hinge for a gate, although I am familiar with the type you mention. Think about the angle of the spiral that would be required to raise a gate enough to clear even a modest uphill grade, and I think is is just physically impossible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Carpenter/fencing

Trade: Carpenter/Fence contractor
Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrbildr View Post
Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or is it common practice to design and plan fences so that all gates are either located in a flat area or swing to the downhill side?

I googled a bit but maybe just didn't search the right keywords.

Thanks
Its common practice,and there is no hinge that i know of to perform such a task,unfortunatly somtimes the land dictates which way a gate will swing.Sometimes you need to come up just a different layout altogether,and a different gate plan.The only idea i can think of is a short rolling gate,its fairly simple.I've done a few wood gates mounted on rolling gates frames,you just need a smaller vesion and maybe that would help.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #5

That's what I thought you guys would say. I did manage to find these after doing a bit more searching.

http://www.gatedepot.com/diagrams/uphill_hinge.htm

The only thing about these is that they are just plain ugly. My situation is that I have a double gate and don't want to make it a single that will swing to the downhill side. The double is going to be two seven foot panels and it'll just get to damn big with too big of a swing radius if it is 14 feet wide.

My search will continue.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
DGR,IABD

Change the grade, and make a bit of a flat where the gate swings.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

Sliding gate-rails . . .
Old 07-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Fence Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

www.snugcottagehardware.com has some 12" curved hinges that may work for you. They also have an H hinge, or make yourself a pair of butterfly hinges(same principle). You find yourself some Anvil brand( or the like) tee hinges, knowk the pin out and reconnect two of the post side halves together. Then, just add a verical 2x3 or 4 to the back edge of the gate for some meat to grab onto.

Your last option would be to use some "hook and eye" hinges for rail fence, although I would be scared of the hinge pulling out of the 2 by.

Hey nywood wizard, do you have any pics of the rolling wood frame? I'd be very interested as that sounds like a good option for some landscapes, as well as an excellent upsell.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Carpenter/fencing

Trade: Carpenter/Fence contractor
Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcf View Post
www.snugcottagehardware.com has some 12" curved hinges that may work for you. They also have an H hinge, or make yourself a pair of butterfly hinges(same principle). You find yourself some Anvil brand( or the like) tee hinges, knowk the pin out and reconnect two of the post side halves together. Then, just add a verical 2x3 or 4 to the back edge of the gate for some meat to grab onto.

Your last option would be to use some "hook and eye" hinges for rail fence, although I would be scared of the hinge pulling out of the 2 by.

Hey nywood wizard, do you have any pics of the rolling wood frame? I'd be very interested as that sounds like a good option for some landscapes, as well as an excellent upsell.
I don't don't think i have any pics,but its just a chain link rolling gate frame with wood or pvc fence mounted to it.It can be done two different ways,one is you add extentions to the frame to make up the thickness of the fence material so it clears the tracks,the other is to install all your fencing and then set independant post,that would be behind the gate frame.I've also done a bi fold pvc gates,(opening was 20') so instead of opening a 10' gate everyday to get into the back yard,it was also a place to park work trucks and no room for a rolling gate. I fabricated two 8' gate panels and the hung a 4' gate panel in the middle to one of the 8' gate panels.The key here was make up two heavyduty drop rods (1 5/8 ss40) on both panels one to support the weight of the 4' gate in its open postion,the other to help act as a post for smoother latching.I've also done this in a chainlink application.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
DGR,IABD

Just by chance today I was leafing through the King Architectural Metals catalog (awesome catalog!), and I spotted "uphill gate hinges". Here's the link to them on their website... http://www.kingmetals.com/default.as...ode=39-SWG-606 The website doesn't say, but the catalog says that they accomodate a 15 degree slope and up to a 2000 pound gate. Pretty nice.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:26 AM   #11

Wow, I didn't expect quite that response, thanks a lot guys.

Cutting the bank away is a for sure no go and I'm a little unsure how to make a rolling gate on a wood privacy fence that would "look" like a big rolling gate. Not saying it can't be done, just having an imagination block right now.

mdshunk- I looked at the kingmetals website and could not for the life of me figure out, from the picture they have posted, how that hinge makes the uphill motion possible. Unless they have a flexible hinge pin. Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrbildr View Post
I looked at the kingmetals website and could not for the life of me figure out, from the picture they have posted, how that hinge makes the uphill motion possible. Unless they have a flexible hinge pin. Any thoughts?
If I had to guess either an angled hinge bolt or a cam cut into the hinges or washers, see exaggerated pic below.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Thought of one more, could be you just simply angle the hinge (exaggerated):

Old 07-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
carpenter and builder

Trade: carpenter and builder
Rewards Points: 150

I think you would need to be careful that any offset hinge arrangement will make the gate swing back "down" with quite a bit of force.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #15

This seems like something that I really don't feel like experimenting on forever. I think I will just leave the one panel on the downhill side hinged with a normal strap hinge and make the uphill panel so that it can be removed without too much trouble if I need to get something wider than the single panel through the gate.

I might mount it on some casters or soemthing so I don't have to try to manhandle the thing. I'll be able to roll it away and roll it back into position for re-mounting.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Advertisement