Trex Enhance Delivered Warped - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Trex Enhance Delivered Warped

Old 02-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 170

Trex Enhance Delivered Warped

Over the years I have only done a few composite decks. The one I am doing now is around a pool in Emerald Isle, NC. Customer picked out and wants Trex Enhance with hidden fasteners. After removing the waterlogged, rooting pressure treated decking, as I suspected, the joists were split/rusted off nails, sagged, bad. We are replacing all the joists and installing new on 12" centers. Mostly because the customer now requests installation on diagonals.

My material was delivered yesterday with a mix of 12 and 16 footers. The 12' boards are warped as heck! In my opinion there is no way (aside from face screwing) to get the ends to stay down. Called my supplier and he called Trex rep and the rep said, "it's fine put it down". I think that is BS. You cannot get a hidden clip to hold those ends down! I told my crew "Do NOT cut or install this crap"!. I told my supplier to get the rep out for eyeballs on and chat with me.

I know neither me nor my customer will accept the ends out of plane. My foreman can stand on end of board and it will not flatten out and he's at least 250#. Once I put that down it's on me most likely. They ain't gonna pay labor to fix.

I'll try and post a couple pics but is there any composites that are flatter, better than Trex? Thanks, Guys.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bc...l9V86dWnQ22-JK

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Trex Enhance Delivered Warped-image0.jpeg   Trex Enhance Delivered Warped-image1.jpeg   Trex Enhance Delivered Warped-image4.jpeg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #2

Re: Trex Enhance Delivered Warped

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ac...3OtJEn0A98QOm3

Hopefully this link works better.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 2,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canmannc View Post
Over the years I have only done a few composite decks. The one I am doing now is around a pool in Emerald Isle, NC. Customer picked out and wants Trex Enhance with hidden fasteners. After removing the waterlogged, rooting pressure treated decking, as I suspected, the joists were split/rusted off nails, sagged, bad. We are replacing all the joists and installing new on 12" centers. Mostly because the customer now requests installation on diagonals.

My material was delivered yesterday with a mix of 12 and 16 footers. The 12' boards are warped as heck! In my opinion there is no way (aside from face screwing) to get the ends to stay down. Called my supplier and he called Trex rep and the rep said, "it's fine put it down". I think that is BS. You cannot get a hidden clip to hold those ends down! I told my crew "Do NOT cut or install this crap"!. I told my supplier to get the rep out for eyeballs on and chat with me.

I know neither me nor my customer will accept the ends out of plane. My foreman can stand on end of board and it will not flatten out and he's at least 250#. Once I put that down it's on me most likely. They ain't gonna pay labor to fix.

I'll try and post a couple pics but is there any composites that are flatter, better than Trex? Thanks, Guys.

Joel
Nothing wrong with that. We do over 30,000ft yr of trex and azek combined. This yr trex has lead considering my 1st job for the yr is around 30,000ft. The only time I see them flat or I should say flattish is when the stars are perfectly lined up and the temps are 50- 65 in the shade. Your rep is right. I stall that chitt. It'll be alright.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited by CityDecks; 02-12-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDecks View Post
Nothing wrong with that. We do over 30,000ft yr of trex and azek combined. This yr trex has lead considering my 1st job for the tr is around 30,000. The only I see them flat or I should say flattish is when the stars are perfectly lined up and the temps are 50- 65 in the shade.

What are you using for clips.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the replay City Decks. I'm using the TREX HIDEAWAY HIDDEN FASTENERS with 316 stainless screws. This thing is literally right on the beach. I hate to see turned up ends on deck boards. Once I cut them and install them it's on me. If their rep wants to Trex to pay my labor (never gonna happen) to replace them after I can't get those ends down...I'll use them. I snapped on my supplier today and told them to come get them. He's bringing another batch. I just hope they look better. I believe they were stored improperly at the my suppliers warehouse.
Thanks
Old 02-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Thanks for the replay City Decks. I'm using the TREX HIDEAWAY HIDDEN FASTENERS with 316 stainless screws. This thing is literally right on the beach. I hate to see turned up ends on deck boards. Once I cut them and install them it's on me. If their rep wants to Trex to pay my labor (never gonna happen) to replace them after I can't get those ends down...I'll use them. I snapped on my supplier today and told them to come get them. He's bringing another batch. I just hope they look better. I believe they were stored improperly at the my suppliers warehouse.

Thanks
Toss the trexclips out the window. You'll be pissing in the wind wasting a lot of time if you have no experience with them. If your stuck with pick up a few clamps to help your life go a lot smoother.
Good luck with new batch. We've never had any issues with bent boards. When it's cold/ frozen I'll add facescrew n plug ( plug if needed).
Clamps from lowes and additional ends on amazon. There deck clamps.
We just started using camo edge. Ridiculous speed enhancer.

The Following User Says Thank You to CityDecks For This Useful Post:
Canmannc (Yesterday)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,808

I can almost gaurantee you that isn't caused by Trex. They come out of the plant flat as hell. It's what happens to them during transfer and stacking that causes that.

99% of the problems I ever have with product is caused by carelessness at my yard or at the wholesalers. I don't get too upset because those guys always pay for golf!

Mike.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,626

I'm going to try the camo edge clips next time. We just tried the nylon Fiberon clips. What pieces of absolute dog do.

We spent more time trying to get them to hold, then loosen so we could put in the next board, then tighten, then trying to keep the board from lifting as you clamp them together...

Went to the tried and true Camo edge screws and knocked it out. Didn't go with the clips because it wasn't in the budget after spending 200 bucks on the other crap clips

My one concern is with clips you don't get any shear strength. Is this even an issue? The Fiberon clips would barely hold the deck in place, so I know there was no structural integrity.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #9
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Toss the trexclips out the window. You'll be pissing in the wind wasting a lot of time if you have no experience with them. If your stuck with pick up a few clamps to help your life go a lot smoother.
Good luck with new batch. We've never had any issues with bent boards. When it's cold/ frozen I'll add facescrew n plug ( plug if needed).
Clamps from lowes and additional ends on amazon. There deck clamps.
We just started using camo edge. Ridiculous speed enhancer.

What is the gap size on those clamps may I ask.

Mike.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 PM   #10
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
I'm going to try the camo edge clips next time. We just tried the nylon Fiberon clips. What pieces of absolute dog do.

We spent more time trying to get them to hold, then loosen so we could put in the next board, then tighten, then trying to keep the board from lifting as you clamp them together...

Went to the tried and true Camo edge screws and knocked it out. Didn't go with the clips because it wasn't in the budget after spending 200 bucks on the other crap clips

My one concern is with clips you don't get any shear strength. Is this even an issue? The Fiberon clips would barely hold the deck in place, so I know there was no structural integrity.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

My engineers always get my shear strength elsewhere. Either knee braces or "X" bracing on the bottom of the joists.

Mike.
Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
I can almost gaurantee you that isn't caused by Trex. They come out of the plant flat as hell. It's what happens to them during transfer and stacking that causes that.

99% of the problems I ever have with product is caused by carelessness at my yard or at the wholesalers. I don't get too upset because those guys always pay for golf!

Mike.
Mike keep I'm mind your weather out there is pathetically mild. There all stacked the same with equal blocking underneath when eave factory. they flex from warm factory get shipped in cold they hold that bent from. They flatten out once temps get above 45. Tuesday am I was using deck clamps to hold 1 -2 boards while I was securing by noonish I was laying 5-6 boards then securing.
No dig I love your Layla land. Be gratefull myman

Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:

Joel
Did I read it wright?? Your reusing lumber correct???

The trex clip are going g to be an even bigger headache.
- not deep / long enough for enough for older dried lumber. Screws are 1-5/8.
- we tape old lumber. Keeps water from soaking in old holes. Add life framing.
- camo edge would be your best concealed at 2-3/8 long screw.

I was teaching a new guy the other day how to deck. Kid never touched a deck board in his life. We banged out almost 600sf in 3hrs 40min.

I've been averaging around 40-50min per 100sf. The cold bent boards slow you down.
No hose no guns no hassle and I'm not even using the stand up guns.

Nothing wrong with fusion or tcg or guns and hoses. This job is all small 100sf decks and would drive myself insane in the small workspace.

Last edited by CityDecks; Yesterday at 06:24 AM.
Canmannc (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:

Thanks
My loads are direct from this job due to volume trex with 1distributer transfer to my lumberyard. Not sitting around. I think its primarily the cold. When its normal temps I dont see it from trex.

Azek is hole other story. I know its the warehouse which is beacon aka allied roofing. But that's what one of my commercial developers is in bed with. We dont complain. We just do it. As we come across what ever is not acceptable they dont get used.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:

Mike.

Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
My engineers always get my shear strength elsewhere. Either knee braces or "X" bracing on the bottom of the joists.

Mike.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
What shear... its like trim. Do you get shear strength in trim...
You get some but very lil in plastics. Very lil.

Shear is the framing.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
What is the gap size on those clamps may I ask.

Mike.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
3/16 standard protocol.

I'll shoot you over few close ups later today.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:

Joel
Just had another thought. Is that enhanced scalloped on bottom?? Dbl check it might have to be 12" oc. The stuff I'm using on floor is enhanced and needs to be 12oc or you will see sag.

Canmannc (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Did I read it wright?? Your reusing lumber correct???

The trex clip are going g to be an even bigger headache.
- not deep / long enough for enough for older dried lumber. Screws are 1-5/8.
- we tape old lumber. Keeps water from soaking in old holes. Add life framing.
- camo edge would be your best concealed at 2-3/8 long screw.

I was teaching a new guy the other day how to deck. Kid never touched a deck board in his life. We banged out almost 600sf in 3hrs 40min.

I've been averaging around 40-50min per 100sf. The cold bent boards slow you down.
No hose no guns no hassle and I'm not even using the stand up guns.

Nothing wrong with fusion or tcg or guns and hoses. This job is all small 100sf decks and would drive myself insane in the small workspace.

City, No I am not using old joist I am replacing all the joist because they are too split up and have a few rotted top edges here and there. Also since I am putting it on a diagonal the joists need to be 12" OC vs 16" OC. If they have any 316 Stainless Camo clips I am going to try them. Hope the new boards are flatter. It has been in the 70's all week here and I have them sitting in the sun with proper storage dunnage as per manufacture recommendations, 8" from ends and every 2'. Thanks For the tip on the clips. Already have the clamps.

Advertisement