Trex Decking Vs. Other Composites - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Trex Decking Vs. Other Composites

Old 10-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #1

Trade: Decking
Rewards Points: 2

Trex Decking Vs. Other Composites

Hello,

I'm researching what type of decking to install, and I'm not familiar with the new types of Trex and how their materials compare to other makers. I know Trex has had lawsuit problems in the past but are their products now much better than they used to be?

Of Trex Select, Transcend, and Enhance - are the higher priced lines much better?

Are other composite makers considered higher quality at this point?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 290

Re: Trex Decking Vs. Other Composites

There are plenty of threads on here about the various composite decking manufacturers if you use the search function.

Trex makes a good product, they also make some not-so-good products. Almost all of the manufacturers have had problems with their product at some point. Trex is the biggest player so it stands to reason that they would have the biggest problem and the publicity that goes along with it.

I received good advice from another deck builder. "All of these manufacturers make a premium product, it's the one that you should sell and install. All of their other products are, in some way, lesser. The savings isn't worth the risk."

I like the look of Trex. I prefer Fiberon as a product but I'll install either on happily. I don't have a long history with composite other than repairing it or tearing it off of older decks. I didn't start installing it until a couple years ago.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
deck aficionado

Trade: General Building
Rewards Points: 973

I'm a trex guy/pro but I'm not anti anything else. I'll agree with the above poster and tell all our clients if you're going with a composite product go with the top of the line stuff because the difference in price in minimal. Unless they're dead set on a color I stick with the trandscend line.

Other than appearance (color/grain) the only significant difference between the big boys is what they do with their cap around the deck board. Trex covers the top and sides, I believe Fiberon wraps the entire board, etc and they each claim theirs is the best way to do it. I personally just like to stick with one product and know everything I can about it, I've toured the plant, etc.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to SelectDecks For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (10-25-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 17,706

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondeck View Post
Hello,

I'm researching what type of decking to install, and I'm not familiar with the new types of Trex and how their materials compare to other makers. I know Trex has had lawsuit problems in the past but are their products now much better than they used to be?

Of Trex Select, Transcend, and Enhance - are the higher priced lines much better?

Are other composite makers considered higher quality at this point?

Thanks for the thoughts.
When I hand a person a $40,000 proposal I don't say "if you go with select you can save 300 bucks. It's inappropriate IMO. So I don't even offer the lesser quality "bargain material". JMPOV
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
CITY DECKS INC (01-15-2015), parkers5150 (10-26-2014), SelectDecks (10-25-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 2,382

Yes, some of the other composite companies are considered superior to trex. Fiberon & Timbertech are what I suggest for higher end customers as I refuse to use trex, lost very few deck jobs over that policy.
John Hyatt (10-26-2014), killerdecks (01-13-2015)
Old 10-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
Yes, some of the other composite companies are considered superior to trex. Fiberon & Timbertech are what I suggest for higher end customers as I refuse to use trex, lost very few deck jobs over that policy.
Fiberon maybe, but I refuse to sell Timbertech after just walking on the deck during install scuffs the cap.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Fiberon maybe, but I refuse to sell Timbertech after just walking on the deck during install scuffs the cap.
Good to hear you refuse to sell what you consider an inferior product as I do with trex.

The only Timbertech I sell is their low end decking, Reliaboard, for those who can't afford Fiberon so I don't know much about their high end line.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Good to hear you refuse to sell what you consider an inferior product as I do with trex.

The only Timbertech I sell is their low end decking, Reliaboard, for those who can't afford Fiberon so I don't know much about their high end line.
I don't want to be accused of ruining it before I finish.
After I'm gone it's up to TT to deal with the HO. Never had one problem with Trex Transcends and I'm not sure to many on here have installed as much of it as I have.

Last edited by Calidecks; 10-26-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I don't want to be accused of ruining it before I finish.
After I'm gone it's up to TT to deal with the HO. Never had one problem with Trex Transcends and I'm not sure to many on here have installed as much of it as I have.
I'm just selling transend after being scared to push any of the products with so many horror stories out there.i just got my trex pro registration and that transend is tough stuff,maybe a little more challenging to install as only raps on 3 sides but I'm happy so far.

When you stick to one product with only 8 colours or so so much easier to sell,
The Following User Says Thank You to bbgcarpentry For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (10-26-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 12

Trex is a nice product, i sell it...(first post so hello!) HOWEVER, if it were me i would go to the Timber-Tech if you had your heart set on composite.
The fact of the matter is, no matter how any of these deck boards are coated they are made with wood fibers... which in time will soak up moisture, and who knows how that will affect the bond with the material coating the surface. Had a fella tell me that he had to cut off an azek rail post because the cap had busted, water had been inside the post and expanded the composite to the point that it was splitting the pvc on the outside.
TT is coated on all sides, whereas Trex is only on the top surface.
Also the TT legacy series is incredible. Nothing else like it on the market. And no im not a TT fanboy, WOLF really....

Great warranties on both however so a decent choice either way

As far as Fiberon goes i dont like how they take a saw and slice their grooves in the side of the board... .sounds like problems in the future. plus i can peel the coating up with my fingernail

Last edited by gsprig1; 12-15-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Pro

You can peel the pvc coating off Fiberon? Must have been a defective board.

I've wondered why they put the groove in after the pvc coating instead of before. Only conclusion I can come up with is for a consistant sized groove so the clips work well. Still a point water can absorb into like trex's bottom side.

One thing I'm not happy about with the Fiberon, they only sell the non grooved boards in 20' lengths. Why not sell the 12's & 16's non grooved too?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
GC/carpenter

Quote:
You can peel the pvc coating off Fiberon? Must have been a defective board.

I've wondered why they put the groove in after the pvc coating instead of before. Only conclusion I can come up with is for a consistant sized groove so the clips work well. Still a point water can absorb into like trex's bottom side.

One thing I'm not happy about with the Fiberon, they only sell the non grooved boards in 20' lengths. Why not sell the 12's & 16's non grooved too?
Water doen't nor can't absorb into trex bottom side. I've left it in a bucket of water for weeks then cut it and it had no absorption.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #13

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Water doen't nor can't absorb into trex bottom side. I've left it in a bucket of water for weeks then cut it and it had no absorption.
Very true, funny enough i've done the same at work. (84)
But i'm still skeptical because the fact is that the trex and most other composites are made with wood fibers, which can hold moisture. Trex did a great job sealing the bottom of their board, but will time be kind to it?

Interestingly enough there is a composite decking made with rice husk fibers i believe its called DuxxBak decking. funny stuff
Old 01-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
Deck Parts Retailer

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 888

Quote:
I just love Trex, they raise their prices every year, and only make quality products, likes these 4 Trex Select examples.
They sat on my Fiberon pile right next to the NewTechWood pile, of which only the Trex displayed their unique quality.
But the lumber yard told me that I didn't know how to store the stuff.
So whenever people come into the showroom, about 5 a day the re education process takes place.
Attached Thumbnails
Trex decking vs. other composites-img_2379.jpg   Trex decking vs. other composites-img_2380.jpg   Trex decking vs. other composites-img_2381.jpg  
Old 01-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #15
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdecks View Post
I just love Trex, they raise their prices every year, and only make quality products, likes these 4 Trex Select examples.
They sat on my Fiberon pile right next to the NewTechWood pile, of which only the Trex displayed their unique quality.
But the lumber yard told me that I didn't know how to store the stuff.
So whenever people come into the showroom, about 5 a day the re education process takes place.
Those were obviously not stored properly, regardless of what you claim.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #16
deck aficionado

Trade: General Building
Rewards Points: 973

Quote:
Those were obviously not stored properly, regardless of what you claim.
Agreed, looks like 1st generation trex accents not trex select - could be wrong...but I doubt it
Old 01-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #17

Trade: Deck Restoration
Rewards Points: 26

We have been using Trex Transcend for a while now and that is all we use. I have had customers ask about the lower priced Trex but we don't think the little bit of money you save is worth the risk.

We also clean and stain a lot of the older trex decking and have had to watch homeowners feel slighted. These were not decks we built but after spending that kind of money on a deck not one of them could stomach the cost to rip it out and put the new Transcend in. We have even done a few boat docks and no problems to date (2 yrs later).
Deck Restoration
Old 01-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I don't get to use composites much around here but the few times I have it's been trex and all of them now look like crap. It was the cheaper trex though which prob didn't help but for the cost it didn't keep well. Never did get anywhere with their warranty on them decks either.

I would have no problem using the newer stuff but like the say once bitten twice shy. I would use another brand just because of the poss poor warranty before. Same reason I don't use Kohler any more.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #19
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
I don't get to use composites much around here but the few times I have it's been trex and all of them now look like crap. It was the cheaper trex though which prob didn't help but for the cost it didn't keep well. Never did get anywhere with their warranty on them decks either.

I would have no problem using the newer stuff but like the say once bitten twice shy. I would use another brand just because of the poss poor warranty before. Same reason I don't use Kohler any more.
I've replaced the old accents and trex paid the bill. As a matter of fact Trex will pay all the labor if they use me as their contractor. They don't work with third parties such as contractors to fulfill a claim. The only reason the HO didn't get it replaced is because they didn't pursue the claim properly.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #20
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post

The other composites don't have any better warranty. If they do, show me.

Advertisement