Tiered Facia - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Tiered Facia

Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Rewards Points: 4,608

Tiered Facia

Any body do this? It looks good. Killer I think saw this on of your post?

Article on this months deck builder http://www.deckmagazine.com/finishes...fpzone=general

How do you pack out?

Not like I would do it on a roof top but I think it looks killer.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Tiered Facia

Gonna need the popcorn smiley here I have a feeling...

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 9,250

Absolutely emphasizes the importance of a picture frame border, to direct water out of the "fascia sandwich" I'm still not 100% convinced it will keep all the water out though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Deck Parts Retailer

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 888

Usually I pack out w/ 2 slices of bread and some baloney, recently I up graded to some peanut butter.

I have had it (layered fascia) on my trex deck (origins madera) at home for 13 years and there is no problem. We used as 2x6/1x6/2x6/1x6

You have to size the joist to match the trim you use; and than you have to cut the beam back 1 1/2" nail the bottom 2x6 under the band joist and the 1x6 under it, to it to pick up the load, and block the poop out of it. Where there is no beam you drop your railing post and nail to that, use lots of blocking between the posts and beams. Other wise your fascia will sag like an old stripper. That's what cut offs are for any ways, unless you want to pay to haul them to the dump.

I have engineered drawings, stamped and sealed that say the railing will hold lots of weight when done this way. I don't give them out though.

If you are using good composite decking the ends will not fail on the deck boards. Biggest problem is the water and ice getting between the 2 and forcing them apart. (End of deck board and fascia).

Because all the 7" and 12" manufactured fascia and riser stock is 1/2" thick they will of course move all over and look like poop. The manufacturers now require you; the builder; to picture frame to avoid this because they don't really care how much you have to work, they just have product to warranty.

We don't picture frame, ever. Don't need to ever. most pictures you see of people proudly displaying their most recent picture frame is on an empty deck, once the deck is covered w/furniture the visual impact goes away. .

I have seen many decks that were picture framed and the fascia was still wavy underneath it. Negating the reason for it, (picture framing)

Last edited by killerdecks; 05-19-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdecks View Post
Usually I pack out w/ 2 slices of bread and some baloney, recently I up graded to some peanut butter.

I have had it (layered fascia) on my trex deck (origins madera) at home for 13 years and there is no problem. We used as 2x6/1x6/2x6/1x6

You have to size the joist to match the trim you use; and than you have to cut the beam back 1 1/2" nail the bottom 2x6 under the band joist and the 1x6 under it, to it to pick up the load, and block the poop out of it. Where there is no beam you drop your railing post and nail to that, use lots of blocking between the posts and beams. Other wise your fascia will sag like an old stripper. That's what cut offs are for any ways, unless you want to pay to haul them to the dump.

I have engineered drawings, stamped and sealed that say the railing will hold lots of weight when done this way. I don't give them out though.

If you are using good composite decking the ends will not fail on the deck boards. Biggest problem is the water and ice getting between the 2 and forcing them apart. (End of deck board and fascia).

Because all the 7" and 12" manufactured fascia and riser stock is 1/2" thick they will of course move all over and look like poop. The manufacturers now require you; the builder; to picture frame to avoid this because they don't really care how much you have to work, they just have product to warranty.

We don't picture frame, ever. Don't need to ever. most pictures you see of people proudly displaying their most recent picture frame is on an empty deck, once the deck is covered w/furniture the visual impact goes away. .
I'm hungry
Old 05-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Quote:

I have seen many decks that were picture framed and the fascia was still wavy underneath it. Negating the reason for it, (picture framing)
Picture framing isn't too cover the wave, it's too flash water out of the joint between the rim and fascia where it always rots. It also looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiered facia-1432096131025.jpg  
Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 PM   #7
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 438

I picture frame for a few reasons, but mostly because I like the look. I've been stacking the fascia once to cover the rim with decking. Composite fascia offers more options but I figure it's easier to sell if we're not confusing all the options. It's easier to train the crew too.

Steve's decks were the ones that really got me interested in stacking but the houses and decks here are a lot smaller so I figured we'd simplify it. I'm not at all worried about water intrusion with a picture frame but it would be easy to install 1/4" PT lattice spacers every 24" for drainage and a little airflow. Instead of using a piece of the scrap decking for blocking out the upper piece you could use a piece of 2x PT and that would give both layers a little space. Seems like overkill with a full cap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-19-2015), Tom M (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 4,848

Tiered facia works for composite decking but not so good if using any wood other than SA hardwoods because of the rot factor. For this reason I stay away from.

Killer's tiered facia looks good using his plactic decking tho. I don't do enough of the MM decks to use it tho.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Deck Parts Retailer

I did it w/cedar for 20 years and had no issues
Old 05-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #10
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

Steve, that has always been a stand out/unique feature of your posted projects .

Great selling point I am thinking.

J.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Deck Parts Retailer

Jon, yes it is.

My point about borders is this:

Many are made to believe that is done for drainage and protects the ends of the wood from rotting. My answer to that line of BS is; what about the boards that now butt into the border? They are attractively displayed in front of the home owner and all the shrinkage that used to be hidden under the rail is in full view. And they are still rotting up against the real nice border which you had to bust your a$$ for doing all the blocking.

This huge new interest in borders is nothing but being "worked over" by big corporate dudes laughing all the way to the bank w/ ur money because they cannot produce quality fascia boards.
The Following User Says Thank You to killerdecks For This Useful Post:
John Hyatt (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #12
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Jon, yes it is.

My point about borders is this:

Many are made to believe that is done for drainage and protects the ends of the wood from rotting. My answer to that line of BS is; what about the boards that now butt into the border? They are attractively displayed in front of the home owner and all the shrinkage that used to be hidden under the rail is in full view. And they are still rotting up against the real nice border which you had to bust your a$$ for doing all the blocking.

This huge new interest in borders is nothing but being "worked over" by big corporate dudes laughing all the way to the bank w/ ur money because they cannot produce quality fascia boards.
Had nothing to do with protecting ends
Old 05-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
Deck Parts Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Had nothing to do with protecting ends
Most of the time my posts are rarely directed at anyone. The previous post would be that way.

Advertisement