Steel Deck Framing! - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Steel Deck Framing!

Old 11-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 764

Steel Deck Framing!

I have some questions about building with steel deck framing if you please. I have a real nice possible deck project right on the edge of one of our San Diego canyons, and so it's in a severe fire zone. Our fire code says for the deck framing we need to use 4x8 PT joists Min. and what a disaster that would be! So steel framing would be perfect!

On this drawing I show wood railing posts (and cable rail) but I'll want to use metal posts for fire Code. Do you have any suggestions for the surface mount metal posts for the cable rail, on a steel framed deck like this?

What type of blade do you use for a circular and chop saws?

The back part of the deck will begin over a sloped, tiled porch. My plan is to use taper cut 2x6 joists over the tile, but at the high of porch I'll only have ~ 2.5" of joist height at the door. Have you ever done this in steel??

Would I want to use 8" 16ga steel joists with 2" flange? Longest joist span would be 10' 2". Where can I find joist and beam span tables for steel framing?

Where would I buy the steel in San Diego, from a drywall, or steel supplier?

With all those hex heads sticking up on the joists do you use 1/2" forstner bit and drill little pockets underside of deck boards so decking lays flat? How about the same with composite facia?

Attaching decking to the steel joists, which of the decking clips, would you recommend with composite deck boards and what type of screw do you use?

Got any details or photos of the steel framing under a mid-deck seam board?

Thatís a good start to my questions!
Attached Thumbnails
Steel Deck Framing!-over-porch.jpg   Steel Deck Framing!-2lor4.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,026

Re: Steel Deck Framing!

RobertCDF is the local steel deck framing guru.

If he doesn't come along shoot him a PM.

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,956

Well you are in California in a seismic design D category I am sure and the deck is more than 30" above grade so at the very least the city or county will require engineering on the railing connections.
Probably they will require the rest of the deck to be engineered also as (I think) there is no prescriptive metal deck framing in the CRC.

You are also in a High Fire Danger area so the min. of 4 x 8 wood joists, 4x fascia et al is required or metal framing is required and that decision is up to you and the customer of course but it seems to me engineering is required either way.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
Rio (11-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

Hi Ya Joe !!

J.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,438

Joe,
I'm sure I will get flamed for mentioning the dreaded Trex name on this site.....but here is some quick info.

Look up Trex Elevations framing on the web there will be be a butt ton of info out there and remember you don't have to use Elevations to glean info from them... But if you do use Elevations you will pay dearly for the Trex name being attached.

Quote:
I have some questions about building with steel deck framing if you please. I have a real nice possible deck project right on the edge of one of our San Diego canyons, and so it's in a severe fire zone. Our fire code says for the deck framing we need to use 4x8 PT joists Min. and what a disaster that would be! So steel framing would be perfect!

On this drawing I show wood railing posts (and cable rail) but I'll want to use metal posts for fire Code. Do you have any suggestions for the surface mount metal posts for the cable rail, on a steel framed deck like this?
Quote:
What type of blade do you use for a circular and chop saws?
I have good luck with Diablo blades. JUST DON"T FORGET EYE,FACE AND HEARING PROTECTION!!!!!

Quote:
The back part of the deck will begin over a sloped, tiled porch. My plan is to use taper cut 2x6 joists over the tile, but at the high of porch I'll only have ~ 2.5" of joist height at the door. Have you ever done this in steel??
I wouldn't think you could cut a steel joist basically in half and get an engineer to sign off on it........maybe if you cut it in half and the screwed the 2 pieces back together...

Quote:
Would I want to use 8" 16ga steel joists with 2" flange? Longest joist span would be 10' 2". Where can I find joist and beam span tables for steel framing?
http://www.snavelyforestproducts.com...n-guidepdf.pdf

Quote:
Where would I buy the steel in San Diego, from a drywall, or steel supplier?
I can't answer that one as all I've used is Elevations because the projects I've done with steel framing have all been by client demand and they wanted the Trex deck/frame combo....

Quote:
With all those hex heads sticking up on the joists do you use 1/2" forstner bit and drill little pockets underside of deck boards so decking lays flat? How about the same with composite facia?
Yes you need to provide relief from any and screws sticking up where there will be fascia or deck boards.

Quote:
Attaching decking to the steel joists, which of the decking clips, would you recommend with composite deck boards and what type of screw do you use?
Trex make a universal fastener for their steel framing.

Here is another manufacturer: http://www.invisifast.com

Quote:
Got any details or photos of the steel framing under a mid-deck seam board?
Trex Elevations on YouTube will show their way of doing this.

I have done less then 10 steel frames so I agree with contacting RobertCDF and I believe Dan Watson also has extensive experience with metal framing.

Good luck and despite the learning curve you won't believe how great the deck looks when you finished, straight, smooth and strong!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmcquin For This Useful Post:
heavy_d (01-04-2017), Joe Wood (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

Hey Joe, J&B Materials is near you and can get you the material you need at a competitive price. as for cable rail, call Alex @ Jacob Cable rail systems
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkers5150 For This Useful Post:
Joe Wood (11-18-2016), John Hyatt (01-05-2017)
Old 11-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 21,244

Trex will even give you drawings and engineering, if you're using elevations.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
dems haven't been this upset since Republicans Freed all their slaves!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Joe Wood (11-18-2016), ScipioAfricanus (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 764

Yeah I want to use regular steel for this one, and it won't be seen from underneath at all. Seems like cutting all those little pockets will get time consuming, alot of time bent over marking and drilling! How do you do it, oversized forstner bit??

thanks for that span chart BMC, and Parker! that J&B is close!

on that tapered tile cut, I was hoping I could get 1.5 x 3.5" steel posts, and lay it flat on it's side, with some shims every 2' or so under, and screw down into that? I need to see what sizes I can get!

I'm concerned about the surface mount steel posts, I've always mounted wood posts outside of facia.

I bet this would take less time framing then if we were to use 20' PT 4x8s!

appreciate the good advice!
Old 01-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #9

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 40

Iv used the steel before I think it was 16 gauge and about 3"x8". We used a pile driver to set the post they were about 3" 12 gauge or something. all galvanised steel, worked really well.

we used corner brackets and self tapping screws. The metal was 2 pieces one bigger and one smaller to fit around the other to make it solid for the joist to tie into.

used my skill saw to cut it. used the 50$$ from home depot It says what it will cut, I'm sure you know already.

We bought our material at a metal yard. I actually have pictures on facebook of that ha just remembered.

see the caps have the 1inch flange to go over and around the bigger joist that are about 3" x 8" or 10" screwed on top and bottom with pan head screws.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #10
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 166

Just curious but you guys can't use fire treated wood? Or spray the coating that gives it an extra 1hr rating?

We don't have any fire zones here. If there's a fire in Florida just give it an hour and the sky will put it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
NJGC (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 21,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Just curious but you guys can't use fire treated wood? Or spray the coating that gives it an extra 1hr rating?

We don't have any fire zones here. If there's a fire in Florida just give it an hour and the sky will put it out.

We a few levels of fire zones.Steel Deck Framing!-8b760998-c2d2-4ca9-8bed-8cc317167522-204-00000015997d541d_tmp.jpg

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (01-05-2017)