Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Spacing azek decking

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  greg24k 
#1 ·
Working with Azek pvc decking, (capped 3 sides). Boards are outside ready to go. It's been 80-90 degrees, and this deck gets decent sun. I consistently hear to use 1/8" spacing to 1/4". Considering the heat I was leaning on 1/8" spacing. Anyone think otherwise? 3/16", etc? I saw an old job where a guy said he spaced 1/8" and now the boards are touching, can't even get a hair between em. I'm pretty sure that was the old composite stuff but just wanted to see what you've all experienced with the newer pvc's. Thanks!

#2 ·
Are you referring to spacing along the edges or ends? For the edges they change very little if any with temperature change, but the ends will definitely move.

When it's in the 90 degree range here we cut boards where the ends have about a 1/16" space such as where the ends meet a seam board or a picture frame.

We don't do decking without a seam board running perpendicular to the field boards if the length of the deck requires more than one board length to be used. A seam board looks better than a lot of field joints in my opinion.

#5 ·
I did download that pdf earlier. Thank you though. States 1/8-1/4" and mentions large temperature changes which we do have on the east coast.

But I just wanted some thoughts from some guys who may have worked with this material to see what their experiences are. Esp considering that it will be installed in warm weather.

#4 ·
Working with Azek pvc decking, (capped 3 sides). Boards are outside ready to go. It's been 80-90 degrees, and this deck gets decent sun. I consistently hear to use 1/8" spacing to 1/4". Considering the heat I was leaning on 1/8" spacing. Anyone think otherwise? 3/16", etc? I saw an old job where a guy said he spaced 1/8" and now the boards are touching, can't even get a hair between em. I'm pretty sure that was the old composite stuff but just wanted to see what you've all experienced with the newer pvc's. Thanks!
Are you referring to spacing along the edges or ends? For the edges they change very little if any with temperature change, but the ends will definitely move.

When it's in the 90 degree range here we cut boards where the ends have about a 1/16" space such as where the ends meet a seam board or a picture frame.

We don't do decking without a seam board running perpendicular to the field boards if the length of the deck requires more than one board length to be used. A seam board looks better than a lot of field joints in my opinion.
Yes i am doing a picture frame. I like the look so much more. Was going to place the ends along that seem board at 1/16, but wasn't 100% sure. So both really. You're saying ends against the seem board 1/16". What about spacing between edges of boards running parallel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.