Scary DIY - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Scary DIY

Old 07-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,748

Scary DIY

I have been floating around the Decks.com forums reading all the posts and this was just added:

I'm planning a deck that will sit in an "L" shape of the house. The deck will be about 20x22 and use 2x10 joists and (2) 2x10 beams with a ledger on one wall.
I spoke to the building dept, who told me that the two footings close to the house will need to be at the same elevation as the house footings which would be about 7-8 feet deep beacuse of the full basement. I understand about getting to undisturbed soil.

But, then he told me to find a way to have the foundation support one end of each of the beams. On this wall, the foundation is higher than the ledger (which is why the ledger is on the other wall). The sill plate is about 4" below the decking. So, how do I go about doing this?
He would not elaborate stating he could not design the deck for me, which I understand.

Do I need to cut into the poured concrete foundation and make a pocket for the beam? Is that allowed? If it was just siding (vinyl) I could open the exterior wall, sit the beam on the sill plate, then flash and side around it, but it's not.
I appreciate any ideas.

: blink: There arent enough faces!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Scary DIY

And this one...the deck sways what can they do?
Someone said tear it down and try and save all the materials to rebuild it with!

They obviously have never seen a 'Built By Mac' thread!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysconfusd11 View Post

If your DECK, requires step flashing, well then you might be a redneck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
Pro

Thats not even step flashing..It appears to be one pc.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysconfusd11 View Post
I have been floating around the Decks.com forums reading all the posts and this was just added:

I'm planning a deck that will sit in an "L" shape of the house. The deck will be about 20x22 and use 2x10 joists and (2) 2x10 beams with a ledger on one wall.
I spoke to the building dept, who told me that the two footings close to the house will need to be at the same elevation as the house footings which would be about 7-8 feet deep beacuse of the full basement. I understand about getting to undisturbed soil.

But, then he told me to find a way to have the foundation support one end of each of the beams. On this wall, the foundation is higher than the ledger (which is why the ledger is on the other wall). The sill plate is about 4" below the decking. So, how do I go about doing this?
He would not elaborate stating he could not design the deck for me, which I understand.

Do I need to cut into the poured concrete foundation and make a pocket for the beam? Is that allowed? If it was just siding (vinyl) I could open the exterior wall, sit the beam on the sill plate, then flash and side around it, but it's not.
I appreciate any ideas.

: blink: There arent enough faces!
I fail to see the problem here? Did I just miss it while reading it? Cutting beam pockets into foundation walls is no big deal. They use them for houses all the time. You only need to cut in 3" and if you but too deep use a steel shim post.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Pro

They use beam pockets for decks? I have yet to see it, I know I am young so maybe that is why, but I have seen them for interior work. Why would anyone open up a wall of their home to put a beam on the sole plate? All it does is set them up for major water problems...

Maybe I am just missing something...
Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: deck contractor
Rewards Points: 75

I have used beam pockets in the foundation wall many times. All permitted jobs by the way.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Pro

In a foundation wall I can see a use for, and it not causing a huge issue, but into a framed wall and then flashing it? Can I ask why you would use the pocket instead of a hanger?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Low Voltage Contractor

Trade: C-7
Rewards Points: 75

That's quite a flight without a landing.

-Chilla

Advertisement