Ripping Trex On End? - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Ripping Trex On End?

Old 05-09-2010, 01:33 PM  
vthunter

Trade: remodel
Rewards Points: 10

Ripping Trex On End?

not so much a deck question but material handling....

brainstormed this idea to replace the nasty carpet in my boat (very stupid idea putting carpet in a boat).... i had originally stripped it to put spray-in bedliner on the floor and a few inches up the sides to make a nice wash and wear floor covering. then thought about ripping trex (or other syn deck material) on end for a finished thickness of say slightly less than 3/8" (giving me two working sides for each piece) and making it more flexible to get 100% contact for glue. should i have any worries for getting this stuff that thin for my application?

anyone rip this stuff down that thin for a threshold or decorative finish? wondering also which would be the best fastening method, epoxy? ss screws? both?

dont want the wider facia/rim board look. plus i like the idea of getting two boards for one all opinions welcome.....

thanks

doug

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 07:23 PM  
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 24

Re: Ripping Trex On End?

No way would I want something like that on a boat deck. Way too slippery when wet--that's why they put carpet on.

But if you're determined to do it, I imagine epoxy would be best. That would unitize everything, with no voids. Try it on something other than your boat first, though.

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 PM  
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 58

How you gonna cut that trex? It'll be some flimsy stuff however you cut it.

Better keep brainstorming.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 AM  
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Have never used trex, but imagine it would be like the composites I have used, hell on blades. Can't imagine trying to run it through the band saw without melting everything and making a mess.
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
Old 05-10-2010, 06:43 AM  
Pro

Trade: Carpentry & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Maybe if you built a jig to hold it on edge and support the saw over top of it. Have one continuous support on one side to run a circular saw guide on, and enough surface area on top of the jig to keep the saw stable.
But like the others said i dunno about trex on a boat....

Last edited by D.Foster; 05-10-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 AM  
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks

My bass boat has marine carpet and we have never had a problem with it. If the right carpet is used then you should be good to go.

I wouldn't use a composite or PVC material in a boat. I don't really have a reason for it besides the weight but just seems weird considering there are so many options intended for boat decks.

For the deck look into Awlgrip, Duraback, Tuff coat. Bedliner has been used many times before and it does work. You definitely want to put down a white or light color.

http://www.seadek.com/

I saw the product a while back and it looks pretty impressive. You can get it in wood grain if you want.

Last edited by curapa; 05-10-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM  
Pro

Trade: Carpentry & Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by curapa View Post
My bass boat has marine carpet and we have never had a problem with it. If the right carpet is used then you should be good to go.

I wouldn't use a composite or PVC material in a boat. I don't really have a reason for it besides the weight but just seems weird considering there are so many options intended for boat decks.

For the deck look into Awlgrip, Duraback, Tuff coat. Bedliner has been used many times before and it does work. You definitely want to put down a white or light color.

http://www.seadek.com/

I saw the product a while back and it looks pretty impressive. You can get it in wood grain if you want.
He must have left overs, and only half of what he needs!!

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: