Raiing Code - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Raiing Code

Old 08-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 276

Raiing Code

I know that railing now needs to be 42" to top of top cap.
What about railing going down stairs?

I suppose the grab rail still needs to be 34-38" but what about the top cap?

And is it ok if there is more than 4" from bottom of bottom rail to the inside corner of tread and riser?

ty

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Raiing Code

Depends on your local code/inspector... your better off checking with them, some areas don't update for years depending on where your at...

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Based on my code requirements in OR,
handrail height on stairs shall be not less than 30" and not more than 38" from nose of tread -
Handrail is defined as a graspable rail (this is your grab bar)

Guardrails shall have a height of not less than 36" (these are the regular handrail sections that can't have more than a 4" opening)

Triangular opening formed by the riser, tread and bottom rail of a guard to be of a size where a 6" sphere cannot pass through.

Now that I've said all that, as andy stated above, what's code for Tahoe? A call, or visit, to your city's planning and development dept. will clear up those location specific code questions for you...

Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
Based on my code requirements in OR,
handrail height on stairs shall be not less than 30" and not more than 38" from nose of tread -
Handrail is defined as a graspable rail (this is your grab bar)

Guardrails shall have a height of not less than 36" (these are the regular handrail sections that can't have more than a 4" opening)

Triangular opening formed by the riser, tread and bottom rail of a guard to be of a size where a 6" sphere cannot pass through.

Now that I've said all that, as andy stated above, what's code for Tahoe? A call, or visit, to your city's planning and development dept. will clear up those location specific code questions for you...

Mac
Continuous?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 496

The requirements where I work in Ca. are the same as Mac's. Commercial railings need to be 42".
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyco View Post
Continuous?
Yeah, I could go on and on and on..........

but I got bored and went to another thread!

Mac
Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
New Guy

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

On a somewhat related note, has anyone every seen/built a railing without inner/corner posts? My neighbour just had a deck built around their pool and with the exception of the single posts on either side of the stairs, the rest of the railing (roughly 40 ft wrapping around 3 sides of the deck) is entirely supported by the 2x2 ballusters face nailed into the fascia boards/joists.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

MT, I did one like that that looked really cool. It was just the stairs.

The stairs were "U" shaped stairs parallel to the balcony/deck, going up to a second story balcony., with 1-1/2" space between the upper and lower portions of the stair.

The 2X2's ran from 4" above grade to the top rail on the perimeter, from the lower stringer to the top rail on the center rail. There was a 2X4 screwed to the 2X2's at the ground level to keep them properly oriented.

It looked really nice, the owners loved it.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #9

Trade: Hardscape
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_42 View Post
On a somewhat related note, has anyone every seen/built a railing without inner/corner posts? My neighbour just had a deck built around their pool and with the exception of the single posts on either side of the stairs, the rest of the railing (roughly 40 ft wrapping around 3 sides of the deck) is entirely supported by the 2x2 ballusters face nailed into the fascia boards/joists.
Decks done by the builders around here seem to always be that way.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
I personaly consider that to be a substandard "builder grade" method of railing construction. There is no structural connection of the railing to the deck.

On a more practical note, how do you sweep the deck off?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #11
Low Voltage Contractor

Trade: C-7
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketahoedan View Post
I know that railing now needs to be 42" to top of top cap.
What about railing going down stairs?

I suppose the grab rail still needs to be 34-38" but what about the top cap?

And is it ok if there is more than 4" from bottom of bottom rail to the inside corner of tread and riser?

ty
Hey Dan, you do any work for Squaw Valley? Love it up there. If you have a hard time contacting a local inspector the lumberyards in your area will usually know the local codes.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 594

Quote:
Yeah, I see them all the time on redo jobs. Crappy/cheap way to do a deck rail imo. Makes for an easy demo job tho, ha.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
Motorboatin' son of a ...

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

http://www.arcways.com/pdfs/IRC2006.pdf

Old 08-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
Deck Designer/Builder

Trade: Construction Project Manager
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by orson View Post
I personaly consider that to be a substandard "builder grade" method of railing construction. There is no structural connection of the railing to the deck.

On a more practical note, how do you sweep the deck off?
That's what I refer to as "builder's railings". When doing consultations, I tell potential customers that I flat out refuse to build those type of poor excuse for railings. As long as the baluster spacing is min. 4", they pass code. I can't understand why, but they do. Aside from all that, I think they look like crap.

Advertisement