Question On Deck Stairs - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Question On Deck Stairs

Old 10-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Question On Deck Stairs

Hi All,

I was doing some work on my own house today for a change.....replacing deck stairs (3 steps). The old had 2 stingers and the span was to wide so i replaced with 3 stringers.....2 lag bolts into each of the the stringers from behind the rim joist. Didn't notice it until later but i can see daylight between one of the stringers and the rim joist....i'm guessing my clearance hole wasn't big enough and the lag started pushing out the stringer when contact was made.

Anyway, i put the treads on and it is solid, however, i get a little anal when things are not perfect. Is the daylight on the one stringer an issue or am i being overly concerned about nothing?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by hanover; 10-28-2006 at 06:43 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Project Manager/Licensed Remodeler
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Question On Deck Stairs

I would re-do it. Screws are designed to provide a clamping force and they're not designed for shear loads. Over time what will happen is that your screws will oval out the holes. What I do when using lag screws is pre-drill the holes in the piece I am fastening so I know that the screws will clamp the piece in place.

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 02:37 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Here is the way I do stairs. The strap is a simpson strong tie FHA 18.

Here is when it tucks underneath the stringers.

This is about the only way stairs will pass code around here. And as always nails should always be used. Nails may bend a little but screws snap in half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Robert what is the protecto wrap stuff. Is like thin ice and water shield for a good seal. Also i guess you hang the stairs off of a metal stair hanger. On the second pic do the metal hangers come that way or do you to hand bend them.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Home Improvement Guy

Trade: Renovations contractor

Quote:
Anyway, i put the treads on and it is solid, however, i get a little anal when things are not perfect. Is the daylight on the one stringer an issue or am i being overly concerned about nothing?

Any thoughts appreciated.
If it were me.....I'd sell the house
Old 10-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Robert what is the protecto wrap stuff. Is like thin ice and water shield for a good seal. Also i guess you hang the stairs off of a metal stair hanger. On the second pic do the metal hangers come that way or do you to hand bend them.
The proteco stuff is to isolate the FHA 18 from the ACQ lumber. As I cannot currently obtain stainless steel FHA 18's. And I wont let anything but SS touch ACQ (eveything else corodes away).

I do have to bend them by hand. But its not too bad.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

Robert, you've got one stringer hanging off four nails? What's that rated at, about 400#? What if you get four large people standing there? I don't doubt you when you say it passes where you are, but I couldn't imagine trying to get that passed here. I usually notch the stringers over a horizontal 2x nailed to 3/4" plywood which is nailed to the trimmer joist. Lots of room for fasteners, and you're not relying on the end grain of the stringer. You could drive a truck up that. Not saying you're wrong, you understand, just a different method. Rich.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveivl View Post
Robert, you've got one stringer hanging off four nails?
Same thing I thought, - - I can't really picture that passing an inspection, - - there's nothing to bear on . . .
Old 10-29-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,076

this is how I do it, very strong

Last edited by Bone Saw; 11-19-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
Pro

Just to give you guys an idea of how strong this connection is. On ALL. New construction homes ALL INTERIOR stairs are hung the same way. Full flights of stairs (Prebuilt they weigh alot and take at LEAST 4 framers to set) hang on 3 of these.

I use 4-5 stringers for a set of 4' wide stairs. 4 16D (true 16D 3 1/2") nails into the header (when it is a double) and 4 16D nails into the stringer (on the bottom) 2 10Dx 1 1/2" nails into the backside (NOT REQUIRED I do it to keep the strap straighter when I have to bend it)
This is on each of the 4-5 stringers. I guarantee this is a much stronger connection than the traditional method. Why am I so confident... I have torn apart quite a few sets of stairs hung conventionally. If it is a small set (about 4 steps or so) I can just grab and rip it right off the deck. I also gave a bid to some people that had stairs on thier deck (tradionally built) That were DANGEROUS. They would not let anyone on the stairs anymore. They sagged to one side when you stepped on it.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Bone Saw,

How did you attach the stringers.....i can't seem to make it out from the photo's

Thanks
Old 10-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,076

face tail through back side of that top cheek plate
Old 10-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #13
unlicensed hack

Trade: wood butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
face tail through back side of that top cheek plate

I love it when you talk dirty.

Advertisement

The views expressed in this post are merely opinions of named poster and in no way shall be deemed meaningful by members of the herd. By no means does anything posted by named poster mean a damn thing for anyone else partaking in this thread.