OK Trex Experts - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

OK Trex Experts

Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 926

OK Trex Experts

Trex booklet shows metal joists. I know countless ones are done with wood framing and of course you have to take extra pains in installation but I see "Trex Elevations". They have their own system. Anyone use it? What about cost?

I'm sure it's a superior substrate as you get a nice flat plane with minimal movement....Installation headaches?

I think Robert CDO from Colorado use to talk about these.

Any other vendors? What about spans? Educate me please.

If I sell another composite I'll want to know the options

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,354

Re: OK Trex Experts

The Trex Elevations system is expensive, though it does take a lot of the guess work out of figuring spans.

This because they have span charts all there for the taking.

The biggest issue you may have is the fact that their warranty is null and void if installed near a body of water.....which if one were to split hairs a swimming pool is..

From the Elevations warranty:

Quote:
Salt Water Applications – Trex Elevationsョ may not be installed within 3,000 feet
of any body of salt water due to increased risk of corrosion. Any such installation
shall void this limited warranty.
Other Water Applications – Trex Elevationsョ may not be installed under the
surface or within the splash zone of any body of fresh water due to increased risk of
corrosion. Any such installation shall void this limited warranty.
https://documents.trex.com/is/conten...arrantypdf.pdf

I have done a couple metal framed projects near pools, but with an after market galvanized product at a G90 coating with Ice and Water shield on top of all joists, beams and such, just like a wood frame.

The I&W shield also helps take away the hollow sound the metal framing has.

I also slope the framing just the slightest amount, away from the pool, to make sure water doesn't stand in the joist bottom.

Don't forget you must bond the framing whether or not it is near a water source.

There is no warranty express or implied beyond the 1 year I give.

Advertisement

Last edited by bmcquin; 05-02-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added information
The Following User Says Thank You to bmcquin For This Useful Post:
Irishslave (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 926

I do so few of these anyway as most people around here are pretty tight fisted. It's pretty and maintenance free so that's the allure. Since the original came out made by Mobil oil I've only done a handful. Something about decking made from recycled garbage bags does not appeal to me much as an old timer
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Deck Building
Rewards Points: 116

I installed a few of these from the original manufacturer before trex bought them. I believe it was Iron Deck. Anyway, other than getting used to working with metal instead of wood (which is much more time consuming), the product wasn't awful. I'm sure Trex has made quite a few improvements. The one thing I remember (built these probably 8-10 years ago) was the stairs were a joke. They had such an odd way of building them that were about impossible to deck cleanly. They also at the time didn't have posts, which has now changed.

Fortress has recently came out with their own system that looks nicer IMO (all black instead of gray). It looks a little more user friendly than Trex as well, although I haven't actually seen or used it in person. When they first introduced it they were promising us the stars as far as pricing was concerned. Then once it came out it was pretty pricey.
The Following User Says Thank You to HammerSwing For This Useful Post:
Irishslave (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Pro

To add a few more things about the Fortress (only because it's the one I've heard about most recently), their joists spans were similar to 2x10 I believe, but their beams were closer to LVL. We were actually going to start using them as our cantilever beams instead of wood because of their spans, but then the real pricing was introduced and it is just cheaper for use to either dig another footing or use an LVL or glulam depending on size.

We priced out a 12x16 deck when they first introduced the Fortress last year, and it was something like 300% more than wood, plus the extra labor involved with not only building, but also decking installation. Prices itself out of the market for most people.

I'd love to get someone who wants to pay for it, just to add it to our resume and portfolio, but so far no one seems interested after I start talking prices. We'll get someone one of these days.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:46 AM   #6
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 15,222

Trex used to give you a drawing with all the spans ready for your city. They quit doing it I think for liability reasons.

Mike.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:49 AM   #7
GC/carpenter

I refuse to frame with metal. Not my thing and I don't want it to be. I can get great results with good quality PT. The P.T. I can get from my yard is premium material. Very consistent and stable.

Mike.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #8

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 8

I知 building a deck using the trex decking the customer wants the decking layer at a 45 degree angle can anyone give me some information or some helpful tips ....I am new to this site and still learning how to talk on the forum so sorry in advance if I have trouble replying or just talking for that matter
Old 05-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrich24 View Post
I知 building a deck using the trex decking the customer wants the decking layer at a 45 degree angle can anyone give me some information or some helpful tips ....I am new to this site and still learning how to talk on the forum so sorry in advance if I have trouble replying or just talking for that matter
Frame the deck 12 OC. What information are you looking for?

I am also new to this forum, but if it's like any others I belong to you might want to start your own thread to get more responses and not steal the OP's thread.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #10

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 8

I think I started my own thread I知 not sure becuz I can稚 find it lol ...I want to say sorry in advance if i did steal the thread ...like i said I知 new to the site so I知 just kinda learning on the fly....I know the joist has to be 12 oc but I知 just looking for general info and tips anything can help i understand that leads a lot to be talked about I知 just trying to absorb as much in for as possible
Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 AM   #11
GC/carpenter

Trex at 45 degrees require framing joists to be built at 12" on center due to the wider span at an angle.

Mike.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 3,238

Quote:
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Quote:
I’m building a deck using the trex decking the customer wants the decking layer at a 45 degree angle can anyone give me some information or some helpful tips ....I am new to this site and still learning how to talk on the forum so sorry in advance if I have trouble replying or just talking for that matter
That video is purely selling an agenda. That builder only wants to work with wood, or is simply uneducated. That type of composite hasn't been used in 20 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to HammerSwing For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 1,742

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerSwing View Post
That video is purely selling an agenda. That builder only wants to work with wood, or is simply uneducated. That type of composite hasn't been used in 20 years.
lol ya. he even said it was installed in the late 80s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Advertisement