Home Depot Fiberon Marriage - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Home Depot Fiberon Marriage

Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Deck Parts Retailer

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 888

Home Depot Fiberon Marriage

Rumor has it that Fiberon is going to be sold by Home Depot, Fiberon is supposed to be doing an exclusive with them. Any body out there know anything about it.
Steve Scholl

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 4,764

Re: Home Depot Fiberon Marriage

I thought their house brand was made by fiberon, it's called veranda or something like that. Maybe they are going to get the upscaled version now. I doubt they will carry the high end stuff tho. Maybe special order the high end stuff, but only a fool special orders anything from them.

Advertisement

redwood (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Deck Parts Retailer

this is all over tyhe net about veranda:http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09217.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdecks View Post
this is all over tyhe net about veranda:http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09217.html

The link topic looks like it is from 2009 and has nothing to do with Fiberon going into home depot. They have had Veranda for at least a few years.

I would be very surprised that they would stock Fiberon Horizons line (Cap layer composite) or the Outdoor Flooring line (PVC) for the DIY crowd

I doubt Fiberon's local distrubtion would be to happy about that, since more than likely home depot would have to buy direct from Fiberon, or from some type of national distrubutor. Which would cause all the local distrubutors to drop Fiberon.

You hear rumor's every year about one the big synthetic companies going
into home depot.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

They are doing something... What they are doing is not real clear yet. The yard I buy from said they placed their order for horizon with no problems and the distributer is still going to supply them with fiberon. I talked to the guys I know at HD pro desk (rare gems, they actually know what they are talking about, no really I know you don't believe me, but the guys I talk to do) and they told me there was no plans whatsoever to stock the material, it would be a special order if you wanted it through them.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,652

Nobody else is buying that crap, so they figured Box store can push it more of it...that is the last resort before that company goes under, next it will be others, and guess who is the only one be left...TREX
Old 01-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
Nobody else is buying that crap, so they figured Box store can push it more of it...that is the last resort before that company goes under, next it will be others, and guess who is the only one be left...TREX

Noooooo..............................

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,824

I have had great success with the Fiberon line.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
Are you sure about that? The horizon line currently has one the best looking boards, a 20 year COLOR, STAIN, and FADE warranty, (one of the best warranties) and in June it was almost impossible to obtain the product. 1 Local yard had bought so much of it that by the end of summer they were the only people in the state that had product. And the price that they are selling it at for the quality you are getting is one of the best values available.

By no means is the horizon board a flaw free product, we have learned a number of tricks for working with it and I know what to expect out of the product. It's one of the top products, if they could fix some of the flaws and continue to innovate they will continue to be a leader.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
AutumnWood Inc. (01-29-2011), Cole (01-29-2011), WarnerConstInc. (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 4,764

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
Are you sure about that? The horizon line currently has one the best looking boards, a 20 year COLOR, STAIN, and FADE warranty, (one of the best warranties) and in June it was almost impossible to obtain the product. 1 Local yard had bought so much of it that by the end of summer they were the only people in the state that had product. And the price that they are selling it at for the quality you are getting is one of the best values available.

By no means is the horizon board a flaw free product, we have learned a number of tricks for working with it and I know what to expect out of the product. It's one of the top products, if they could fix some of the flaws and continue to innovate they will continue to be a leader.
You are right Robert. Of all the newer decking products out there the new horizon board has impressed me the most. The boards look as good or better than xlm & no where near the cost. Those are the only two imo that are getting close to looking like real wood, the rest are just too plasticy (if there is such a word).
Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Deck Parts Retailer

What is the current retail price on the horizon line across the country. I was going to get it but was told from my supplier that Home Depot had done a nationwide deal with them and they would be unable to supply my needs. This info was just given to me on Friday so I am assuming that the news (home depot)is brand new. Or I was lied to.
If fiberon was or is still making Veranda for them than I would find it plausible that there could be a possible marriage between the 2 companies.
Steve Scholl
Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Pro

Killer,

HD should be selling it for $2.99+ LF. My pricing (as of yesterday, from my supplier) should be $2.69-$2.89 LF so HD still can't touch them on price much less service.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Just like the crappy AZEK that HD selling now. Edges aren't the same as my supplier, plus it's MORE expensive. I don't know why anyone would buy AZEK from HD. Unless you HAD to have it and couldn't get to your normal supplier.
Too many other competitors out there, Azek is getting desperate going to HD imo. Might be a regional thing but my HD started stocking it a few months ago and it's not the same.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Deck & Porch Builder

Trade: Deck and Porch Builder
Rewards Points: 75

I believe Fiberon has made arrangements to provide and run the Veranda line in their plant. It doesn't really change anything other than it's a kind of business deal or at least thats my take. If anything the quality control will be imprioved.

I've used alot of the Fiberon Horizons for the past year with very good results.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-pdp-bayer-2.jpg   Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-e-berry-5-copy.jpg   Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-fib-e-dsc_0542-copy.jpg   Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-fiberon-beadboard-ceiling.jpg   Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-bick-14.jpg  

www.peachtreedecksandporches.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Boparks For This Useful Post:
BreyerConstruct (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Nice pictures.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Deck Parts Retailer

yes I like those pics a lot. do you have any from the outside. Are those bought window units are did you enclose the galss your self
steveScholl
Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,824

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
Just like the crappy AZEK that HD selling now. Edges aren't the same as my supplier, plus it's MORE expensive. I don't know why anyone would buy AZEK from HD. Unless you HAD to have it and couldn't get to your normal supplier.
Too many other competitors out there, Azek is getting desperate going to HD imo. Might be a regional thing but my HD started stocking it a few months ago and it's not the same.

I bought a small chunk of it to finish up a small job where I had run out of scraps and I did not feel like buying a 18' chunk. Actually, I use the Excel from my lumberyard.

I will say that it had really crappy edges and I actually cut my finger when I ran it over the edge. stupid HO's don't know any better though.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: cabinet installer
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post

I'm glad to hear that and would like to hear some of the tricks you used . I did my first Fiberon Horizon deck ( with the hidden fasteners) this fall and thought it came out beautifully . However it took some time to maintian the 3/16s spacing . It seemed to want to sit at a 1/4" gap in many places and the homeowner (and I ) agreed that that 16th mattered in this install . Decent sized deck that gets almost no direct sunlight .

Went around with the lumber salesman about the work involved and more importantly what the product will do in the hot summer . Ofcourse we were assured our methods were good and the product will be fine . I made it very clear I am not responsible for how the product reacts over time and the homeowner signed off on the methods I used to keep it at 3/16's .
I had the HO and the sales rep watch us put down about 4 rows before we really went for it .

In the back of my mind though I am very curious to what it will do once it heats up .
My method to maintian the factory 3/16ths tolerance was to screw down a sleeper across the top of the joists far enough away for us to run 5 rows of decking . Then I cut a series of wedge blocks for each row and tapped each board in on every joist along with using spacer shims 3/16ths thick . The wedge blocs held each deckboard in place while we screwed down the hidden clips .

If we just tapped the boards into the fasteners we would end up with many spots at 1/4" spacing some would pop right in at 3/16ths but many wouldn't or wouldn't stay . It took much longer to do it this way but the decking boards alone were $9,000.00 so i felt the effort was worth it and I was paid enough to cover the extra time . I also framed the deck so there were no splices in a 16 x 40ft deck . Again more time but the finished look was worth it .

Has your expierence with Horizon been good in terms of expansion and contraction ? The stuff looks great and I hope it ages as good as it looks.
I have to see how this deck does this summer before I will recommend it to others . I did alot of research on composite decking before I gave the HO a list of product I would be willing to try .He picked Horizon after doing some research of his own .
Old 01-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

YO Bobby....

That is some nice building. X100 with the curved rail

JonMon
Old 01-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
Deck & Porch Builder

Trade: Deck and Porch Builder
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdecks View Post
yes I like those pics a lot. do you have any from the outside. Are those bought window units are did you enclose the galss your self
steveScholl

Thanks JonMon,
APgarNJ and Steve

Steve,

Actually they are screens but they do have the window appearance from the inside. Alot of people do think they're windows from the photos though because you can see out so well

It's Better View screening insert panels. I 'll post photos here of one we did fiinsh a few weeks ago
with a combination of tempered glass and some vinly / plastic type windows (have to look up the name on the actual type) The last photo on this run and the first 2 on the next post are ext of one of the ones you mentioned. I don't do much down do much 3 season stuff down here. Up north I'd thnink it would be more in demand...lately with our weather..it's felt like we are north ...lol

This job here does have fixed glass and windows on the top level and screens down below in the spa room
Attached Thumbnails
Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-copy-edsc_0562aa-4-.jpg   Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-edsc_0562aa-2-aa.jpg   Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-edsc_0562aa-3-.jpg   Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-edsc_0562aa-6-.jpg   Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-edsc_0562aa-8-.jpg  

Home Depot  Fiberon Marriage-1-blose-1.jpg  

Advertisement

www.peachtreedecksandporches.com

Last edited by Boparks; 01-29-2011 at 04:38 PM.