Hidfast - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Hidfast

Old 03-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Hidfast

I went to a trade show a few weeks ago and saw this in action. Anyone else seen this and have comments about it? I'm sure they'll nail you (pun intended) on the fasteners. It's fast. All the other guys around me who were deck guys were drooling over it. So far, I have found it's not for sale yet. I have heard maybe May. There's a waiting list at the suppliers place.

http://www.hid-fast.com/index.html

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

Re: Hidfast

Hot Dammmmmmmmmm!!!! J.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,478

I was at the Trex dinner tonight, was talking to the guy from Azek, he said this is a popular tool guys use to install T&G Azek decking and he said the feedback from was all good. I'm not sure if its the same name brand they used, but it looks like a nice little tool and it can save allot of time. If I get a T&G decking job, I would give it a try.

Thanks for the link Framerman
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

I'd like to see the specs on the nails and some other stuff. The website is very vague and basically just an ad.
The other part I'm not sold on is the "stab the next deck board onto the pointy tip" part of it...a couple of things you need to consider:
- density of the deck board (how easily will it fully secure to the barb)
- shrink/swell nature of the deck board (some types of boards would work free of the barb over time)

I'd like to see shank size of those nails - it you're dealin' w/ one fastener per joist per two board edges - it needs to be the right size.

Mac
Old 03-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
I'd like to see the specs on the nails and some other stuff. The website is very vague and basically just an ad.
The other part I'm not sold on is the "stab the next deck board onto the pointy tip" part of it...a couple of things you need to consider:
- density of the deck board (how easily will it fully secure to the barb)
- shrink/swell nature of the deck board (some types of boards would work free of the barb over time)

I'd like to see shank size of those nails - it you're dealin' w/ one fastener per joist per two board edges - it needs to be the right size.

Mac

Yeah, the website almost seems intentionally vague, is the thing that great they don't want anyone to know about it. I think I like the idea but I'd like to know a lot more about it.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Custom Stuff

Trade: General Contractor - Custom Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

I've heard good reviews on this but I don't think its used with T&G boards unless there are different nails. I wonder about ss nails as ss is notoriously soft when used in screws and nails.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

It's not for T&G. It's for square edge decking. The guy there said there were two deck boards you couldn't use it on (can't remember of course, ****ty memory, maybe correctdeck?) but that was the first thing I thought of was "yeah, how well does this go into a tough hardwood decking." He brought out a piece of Ipe and nailed her home. Grabbed the next one, couple simple taps with a rubber mallet, next piece was in.

I'll remain skeptical also because I know how much material moves. I was thinking maybe that wood decking would have a tendency to split.

I know the website is vague. I think it has to be since they don't have it released yet.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Custom Stuff

As Greg24k said, maybe they were talking about a different tool. I can't think that an Azek rep would suggest using this tool on T&G.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Custom Stuff

Here's another one, a new gun from Tiger Claw for hidden fasteners. This may be real interesting.

http://www.deckfastener.com/news_roo...nfo.asp?NID=63

The way the mock up moves when the fastener is driven, it looks like it has some real power.

Last edited by Mike(VA); 03-27-2009 at 09:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike(VA) For This Useful Post:
BuiltByMAC (03-27-2009)
Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike(VA) View Post
Here's another one, a new gun from Tiger Claw for hidden fasteners. This may be real interesting.

The way the mock up moves when the fastener is driven, it looks like it has some real power.
Now that is slick! Anyone find any pricing info on it? I found one mention of price, "about $200"

Lots of questions with the other nailer.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,630

I saw the same gun in an ad on the back cover of Professional deck builder magazine. I called Tiger Claw for information and I am supposed to get a return call on Monday.
I'll update with info. as soon as I can.

Brian
Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

That tigerclaw tool is intersting. The co has a good rep as well. I am not a big fan of the clips but I did a small TT earthwood job using the TC and I have to say I am impressed. Its the only one I would recomend if the Wallet really wanted to use the hidden fasteners.

A persons education is not complete until he understands everything he has learned...could be wrong. J.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

I'd like to see this work on some of the re-decks we do, with those old petrified treated SYP joists! I'd think that there might be a problem with those soft ss screws driving straight into that stuff.

Quote:

Old 03-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
Custom Stuff

Maybe, but compare that to using square drive ss screws in hard wood. Gets about 80% of the way in and presto! no square drive slot any more.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

You mean you don't like those square to round drive convertible screws?

Quote:
Maybe, but compare that to using square drive ss screws in hard wood. Gets about 80% of the way in and presto! no square drive slot any more.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildenterprise View Post
I'd think that there might be a problem with those soft ss screws driving straight into that stuff.

I spoke both w/ the person who put out the press release linked above and a company rep yesterday after reading this thread. The screws are not SS, nor are they galvanized. They've got some proprietary coating called FasCoat (or Fast Coat).

Like McQuin above, I'm waiting for a sales rep to call me back on Monday to explain more about the gun and the nailscrew specs. If they're shipping the gun now, I'll ask for one to do a field test with. I've got a huge project coming up w/ TT Earthwoods decking - would be a good trial run for the new toy!

Mac
Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,630

Just got off of the phone with the rep from Tiger Claw. I've have good news and almost good news........... good news first, the gun has a MSRP of $279.00., seems like a pretty good price to me. Now the almost good news, there is at this time no availability to fasten Timbertech with this system. Timbertech has not reached an agreement to package the concealoc HFS w/o screws. I was told by the rep that they are in negotiation w/TT at this time.
I then asked if the concealoc was the same as the TC mode HFS . The rep told the concealoc is larger then the TC model so we would not be able to use the TC model for TT decking.
I am going to be placing a call and an email to both my TT rep and the TT HQ later today to tell them to get a move on about this!

Brian
Old 03-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcquin View Post
there is at this time no availability to fasten Timbertech with this system. Timbertech has not reached an agreement to package the concealoc HFS w/o screws.
You say 'no availability' like the concealLocs won't work w/ the gun - can you use them..you'd just have to buy extra screws for the gun?

Mac
Old 03-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Now that is slick! Anyone find any pricing info on it? I found one mention of price, "about $200"

Lots of questions with the other nailer.
I have one and am doing a review for PDB on it right now. The gun I have is one of the original/initial production guns.

The supply chain for fasteners is not up to speed yet from what I can tell. They sent me the gun with only 300 screw/nails...not even a whole box.

I'll keep you posted because there is another system I am reviewing that is similar but not....
Old 03-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #20
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcquin View Post
Just got off of the phone with the rep from Tiger Claw. I've have good news and almost good news........... good news first, the gun has a MSRP of $279.00., seems like a pretty good price to me. Now the almost good news, there is at this time no availability to fasten Timbertech with this system. Timbertech has not reached an agreement to package the concealoc HFS w/o screws. I was told by the rep that they are in negotiation w/TT at this time.
I then asked if the concealoc was the same as the TC mode HFS . The rep told the concealoc is larger then the TC model so we would not be able to use the TC model for TT decking.
I am going to be placing a call and an email to both my TT rep and the TT HQ later today to tell them to get a move on about this!

Brian
TigerClaw sent me regular boxes of ConceaLocs to test with so I'll have a lot of screws left over. This is the "supply chain" issue I'm talking about.

Advertisement