Glass Pool Fence - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Glass Pool Fence

Old 12-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Fencing, Decks and Railings
Rewards Points: 617

Glass Pool Fence

This is a project I should have quoted a few more days of labor.
PIA digging the holes around the rocks with my mini skid steer. Ended up going on top of the rocks and laying down plywood. All the glass was pre-cut so I had to ensure the post locations were maintained. Keeping the posts plumb and the rails level were also more time consuming then planned.
I have completed numerous on concrete pads with no issues but this was more of a challenge on sono tubes.
Attached Thumbnails
Glass Pool Fence-vinyl-glass-tan-railing-1-custom-.jpg   Glass Pool Fence-vinyl-glass-tan-railing-custom-.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluudog For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (12-13-2015), CarpenterSFO (12-11-2015), Philament (12-12-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: exterior carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,770

Re: Glass Pool Fence

Nice looking job.
My first thoughts are to pull/push the big rocks out of the way, dig n pour, then push them back in....

BTW, I do like the way you pull posts with that skid.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Pro

Yes I told the HO he did things backwards putting the stones in place. They wouldn't let me move the rocks. Some customers don't understand that digging holes and concrete can get messy especially when things are wet.
Water was coming in the bottom of the 4' holes and water rises as concrete is added. HO ran in the house a few times in frustration with the mess. The young laborers don't understand that as people age they fall in love with rocks, trees and plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Pro

I always try to tell customers what is going to happen before it happens.
Sounds easy, but...
We many times encounter the unusual and just never know.

Some customers get their panties wadded up really easy, and they want to look, literally, right over your shoulder. Jeez, don't we all hate this...

As far as pricing and scheduling goes, I keep telling myself that if the job isn't straight forward and like something we have done before, I need to plan for the unknowns and more time.

Way too often I don't do this.

Again, nice job.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Rewards Points: 4,608

nice job. i wonder if you could of just core drilled into the rocks. used 3" alum tubing? we've installed with core drill in slabs and granite and lime stone steps.
but the post where 2x2 and 3x3 steel fill around with structural grout.

or drilled 4 - 1/4" or 3/8 holes right on to rocks with wedges or chemical system. level 4-nuts then cut off excess and cap off with lock washer and acorn nut. if the gap was ugly fill base with hydro cement.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
Deck Parts Retailer

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 888

Why would u work w/pre cut glass in the 1st place. We have companies here that make the glass to order, all tempered, any thickness u want.
4 day lead time delivered to the job
Old 02-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITY DECKS INC View Post
nice job. i wonder if you could of just core drilled into the rocks. used 3" alum tubing? we've installed with core drill in slabs and granite and lime stone steps.
but the post where 2x2 and 3x3 steel fill around with structural grout.

or drilled 4 - 1/4" or 3/8 holes right on to rocks with wedges or chemical system. level 4-nuts then cut off excess and cap off with lock washer and acorn nut. if the gap was ugly fill base with hydro cement.
Thanks,
I have used this method on concrete slabs around pools or concrete retaining walls. I also core drilled installing porch railings.
This application keeping the glass panels close to a standard size would have been difficult. Also the gate areas would have been another issue.
The glass panels formed a L around the pool so one length didn't have any rocks. The customer also loved his rocks as is.
I will take a photo now that everything is complete. I have to install another gate for him this week.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdecks View Post
Why would u work w/pre cut glass in the 1st place. We have companies here that make the glass to order, all tempered, any thickness u want.
4 day lead time delivered to the job
My glass supplier is normally 10 working days delivered to my shop. I can get it faster if I need it. Don't cry wolf too often. This county specified it must be laminated glass. Never heard of that before for the work I do. Neither has my glass supplier. I think the engineers get nervous around here because glass railing panels were falling on the streets in Toronto a few times. The failure was for various reasons.
The glass panels were not right up against the posts. I had a maximum opening per side of up to 2" so I had some flexiblity with the post alignment. Since, the glass was laminated and not tempered I could re-cut the glass. I actually did that on 1 piece. My supplier cut it and hand finished the edge while I waited.
I assume when you make a deck you have glass sections the same length. When you install steel or aluminum ornamental fencing they come in sections. It is best to keep the post spacing the same to minimize cutting and hopefully not too long. Unless your customers don't mind various length spacing.
There you go Killer - not only in Michigan as per the ads I hear often looking for tourists!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Deck Parts Retailer

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluudog View Post
Since, the glass was laminated and not tempered I could re-cut the glass!
We have the choice between , laminated and seamed also, my impression is the glass was tempered and than laminated or seamed.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdecks View Post
We have the choice between , laminated and seamed also, my impression is the glass was tempered and than laminated or seamed.
Yes, I use different thicknesses and states of glass. Generally, all tempered only. I could get laminated or laminated tempered. The engineer just specified laminated. Laminated tempered would have been stronger and more expensive. The edge finish I get depends on the application or type of glass railing. My supplier can't/won't edge finish laminated because it gums up his grinder. Customer approved hand finished edge.
I also install quite a few with chemically etched glass panels for privacy between houses or decks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluudog For This Useful Post:
killerdecks (02-08-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #11
Pro

I went back to this customer to hang a gate with side panels so I took some more photos. T-Shirt and shorts weather. It was green yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Glass Pool Fence-pool-glass-vinyl-1-custom-.jpg   Glass Pool Fence-pool-glass-vinyl-2-custom-.jpg   Glass Pool Fence-vinyl-gate-custom-.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
Pro

You do some very nice work.

Why didn't you cut down the gate to fence-top level?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Deck View Post
You do some very nice work.

Why didn't you cut down the gate to fence-top level?
Thanks TG.
Good eyes. I usually do have the gate and fence panels the same height. The homeowner wanted the side panels low to the ground. The gate is premade with pvc welded mitered corners. Upon installing it wouldn't clear the driveway when opening out as it is raised higher. I could have taken it back to the shop and recut/rewelded but the homeowner was happy with it.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #14

Trade: Railings
Rewards Points: 16

Nicely, done. Will the column retain its colour? Glass railings are nicely done.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaF View Post
Nicely, done. Will the column retain its colour? Glass railings are nicely done.
I suppose you are referring to the vinyl gate posts. Vinyl fades slightly over time. Darker colours will be affected a little more. Manufacturers for exterior vinyl products add titanium dioxide for sun protection.
I supply and install all kinds of vinyl products and I have never had a call back due to fading. Most window frames today are made from vinyl/pvc.
Attached Thumbnails
Glass Pool Fence-pergola-max-shade-002a-.jpg   Glass Pool Fence-belmont-w-square-picket-custom-.jpg   Glass Pool Fence-vinyl-porch-column-clay-8-inch-.jpg  

Advertisement