Get 6" X 6" Porch Posts Off The Concrete - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Get 6" X 6" Porch Posts Off The Concrete

Old 04-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #1

Trade: General Residential
Rewards Points: 8
Question

Get 6" X 6" Porch Posts Off The Concrete

Newbie here, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Customer has seven 6" x 6" x 7' square porch posts supporting the roof. The posts are painted, treated, general 6x6s, nothing fancy and have been in place for well over 25 years.

Each post sits right on the concrete deck with a vinyl railing between each post. I was hired to repair/replace one of them that had significant rot at the base. I ended up removing the entire post and replacing with a new 6x6 treated post on an aluminum pedestal base to keep it off of the ground. Not only did the homeowner not like the look of the Simpson post bases, the side "straps" on the Simpson interfered with the mounting brackets of the vinyl bottom rail.

Here are my questions:

1. The new 6x6 was not as heavy as the original post (3/16" thinner) so I had problems with reinstalling the vinyl rail. Suggestions? Don't tell me to cut down an 8x8, please.

2. The other six posts should be lifted off the ground before they rot too. I plan on using a floor jack to support the structure, one post at a time. Then, I need to cut 1" off of the bottom of each post while still in place. Suggestions on making an accurate/straight cut this close to the concrete? Chainsaw? Or do I pull it completely out and deal with top ornamental moulding and railing later?

3. I was able to secure the pedestal base to the new post before putting it in place. Any suggestions on attaching a pedestal base to a post already in place? Or is this where I need a Simpson base?

Open to suggestions, but I don't want to complicate a seemingly easy task of jacking up the roof, cutting an inch off the post bottom, sliding in a base to elevate it, then calling it a day.

Image from street view attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Get 6" x 6" porch posts off the concrete-untitled.png  

Last edited by jeep03kj; 04-01-2019 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Add Photo

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 05:36 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 614

Re: Get 6" X 6" Porch Posts Off The Concrete

you don`t necessarily have to" jack up" the roof.

just a couple of double 2x4`s on each side should hold it up fine .you can cut them an 8th tight , and hit them in place with a sledge ,
i`d take each 6x6 out , one at a time , and work on them
then your putting in a finish product each time.

cutting them cleanly in place would be a beeeyatch

if these are getting painted , can you set the fasteners into the wood , then bondo , or spackle over them?

client has to know this is a " function over aesthetics" situation
your gonna see fasteners . they have to be there .

even if you had used metal posts . they would still show a bottom plate , and bolts.

unless , you want to chip out the cement , and bury the fasteners too .

hope this helps

p.s. , gonna have the same problem with the 6x6 rotting
since its sitting on cement.
i guess you could put tar-paper under it , and and also paint/seal the bottom of it.
ideally you`d want it to sit off the floor, like when you put a metal post, and wrap it in wood, but keep it off the floor a good 3/4 inch

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 05:49 AM   #3

Trade: General Residential
Rewards Points: 8

Thank you.

Yeah, I'm not going to "jack up" the roof, I was just going to use a jack to take the weight off. I tried some 2x4's and a sledge on the first post, but they just splintered. I'll use a floor jack, piece of square stock, and some 2x6 to distribute the load at the top.

I'd like to cut them in place for sure. Am I nuts? I wouldn't get a clean enough cut with the wandering blade of a Sawzall so I considered a chainsaw.

I don't follow you about "if these are getting painted , can you set the fasteners into the wood " -- what fasteners do you mean? If I use the Simpson post brackets?

The new 6x6 isn't on the concrete now, it's up 1" on a pedestal base. Is that what you were referring to about it rotting?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 228

Can you cut back the bottom rail and wrap the base with some 1x8 composite? Keep them off the concrete about 1/8 to allow it to breath, but it will keep the water out.

Can you make a cut with a circular saw on the front and back, and then cut in between with a good, old fashioned hand saw? If you wrap the base with the 1x8 it could hide an flaws with your cut.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,110

To cut the posts I used an undercut saw, Crain makes one and if you don't have one you can rent from HD, run that saw along the deck it will trace even contour of the deck around the post the rest of the cut you can finish with a sawzall as others suggested.

As the column goes there are many options, you can build your own columns using PT lumber and do a column wrap using the same material... I would plan to make the column a "tat" wider and trim down the railing, the way they have spindles installed you will not know the difference if you need to trim them 1/2-3/4".
hdavis (04-01-2019), jhark123 (04-04-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,746

You could use a base like this Simpson or a Ozco so they look nicer than the standard post base.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,654

Simpson makes a composite standoff (CPS6) that can slide in after you cut the post, if the rot isn't too high. To connect it, maybe a lag from below.

Mike.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 14,026

For the base to have any hold down don't you have to take the post all the way out so you can fasten the base to the concrete?

Take the whole thing out and use a knife base if she doesn't like the exposed sides. Cut a couple plugs if they don't like the holes and be done with it.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #9
GC/carpenter

Looks to me like the Posts are not on concrete.

Mike.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep03kj View Post
Newbie here, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Customer has seven 6" x 6" x 7' square porch posts supporting the roof. The posts are painted, treated, general 6x6s, nothing fancy and have been in place for well over 25 years.

Each post sits right on the concrete deck with a vinyl railing between each post. I was hired to repair/replace one of them that had significant rot at the base. I ended up removing the entire post and replacing with a new 6x6 treated post on an aluminum pedestal base to keep it off of the ground. Not only did the homeowner not like the look of the Simpson post bases, the side "straps" on the Simpson interfered with the mounting brackets of the vinyl bottom rail.

Here are my questions:

1. The new 6x6 was not as heavy as the original post (3/16" thinner) so I had problems with reinstalling the vinyl rail. Suggestions? Don't tell me to cut down an 8x8, please.

2. The other six posts should be lifted off the ground before they rot too. I plan on using a floor jack to support the structure, one post at a time. Then, I need to cut 1" off of the bottom of each post while still in place. Suggestions on making an accurate/straight cut this close to the concrete? Chainsaw? Or do I pull it completely out and deal with top ornamental moulding and railing later?

3. I was able to secure the pedestal base to the new post before putting it in place. Any suggestions on attaching a pedestal base to a post already in place? Or is this where I need a Simpson base?

Open to suggestions, but I don't want to complicate a seemingly easy task of jacking up the roof, cutting an inch off the post bottom, sliding in a base to elevate it, then calling it a day.

Image from street view attached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post

Mike.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #11
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post

Mike.

Still looks to me like it's not sitting on concrete. The deck looks to be a cantilevered structure. The post looks to be sitting on top the cantilever.

Mike.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:10 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,150

I'm assuming that's the one he replaced already and set on the Simpson bracket. The others on the right of the photo look to be on the concrete

-Rich
Old 04-03-2019, 11:33 PM   #13
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakes1 View Post
I'm assuming that's the one he replaced already and set on the Simpson bracket. The others on the right of the photo look to be on the concrete

-Rich

That deck doesn't look like concrete unless it's a cantilevered concrete deck which is doubtful. From the looks of the picture it's an elevated deck with a beam holding it up. Maybe it's my eyes.

Mike.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,150

My front porch is concrete over top of a wood frame, it has a small cantilever to it as well. Might be something similar going on there.

-Rich
Old 04-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #15
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakes1 View Post
My front porch is concrete over top of a wood frame, it has a small cantilever to it as well. Might be something similar going on there.

-Rich

I that's concrete over framing the concrete is very thin. Or the framing is very thin. Looks to me like sitting on top of the deck and bolted from underneath is still the most viable option, imo. Regardless of the material.

You don't even need to remove the Posts if the rot isn't too high. Just cut the bottoms out surgically. Add a standoff, bolt through the bottoms and you're done. Bada bing.

Mike.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Fencing, Decks and Railings
Rewards Points: 617

You say the current posts have been there for 25 years and only 1 post rotted at the bottom. I see this quite often due to weather, shade, water drainage, vegetation etc.
I wouldn't be inclined to cut off the bottoms of the other posts. I would talk them into wrapping the other posts in vinyl (match railing), trim railing to fit, seal the bottoms and add trim on bottom of posts.
There are many types of post wrap options - cellular pvc sheet wraps, extruded vinyl wraps.
Attached Thumbnails
Get 6" x 6" porch posts off the concrete-porch-post-wraps.jpg   Get 6" x 6" porch posts off the concrete-pvc-column-wraps-custom-.jpg   Get 6" x 6" porch posts off the concrete-pvc-columns-001.jpg   Get 6" x 6" porch posts off the concrete-post-wrap-details-2018.png   Get 6" x 6" porch posts off the concrete-vinyl-post-covers.png  

The Following User Says Thank You to Bluudog For This Useful Post:
pathbuilder (05-02-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #17
Artist and not a curator

Seems like there's a couple posts missing in here.

Wonder if it's a glitch or something...

Advertisement