Fire Department Bollocks - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Fire Department Bollocks

Unread 09-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #1

Trade: DonDada
Rewards Points: 4

Fire Department Bollocks

so, we submit application for FD permit for a gate/fence installation at commercial business property...

the assistant fire Marshall is saying that c-27 landscape license type is insufficient... I'm feeling like the FD are just jerking us around.

for a chain link fence and gate.

am I missing something?

"A landscape contractor constructs, maintains, repairs, installs, or subcontracts the development of landscape systems and facilities for public and private gardens and other areas which are designed to aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the grounds within or surrounding a structure, or a tract or plot of land. In connection therewith, a landscape contractor prepares and grades plots and areas of land for the installation of any architectural, horticultural and decorative treatment or arrangement."

is this not an architectural/decorative treatment?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,054

Re: Fire Department Bollocks

I do believe your fire guy is correct.

Seen it before especially on entrance gates.

Advertisement

rootsdoctor (09-16-2020)
Unread 09-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,632

Maybe talk to the licensing board and be very specific about what the scope is. If they agree that your license covers it then you are in a good position to force the FD's hand. If someone there is making an arbitrary and capricious decision that is depriving you of your right to legally make a living there could be financial consequences. You need to be careful if you're going to be working with them in the future, if you make an enemy these bureaucrats can make your business life a living hell, just another reason to have accountability for all public officials.

A lot of these Fire Departments have taken on way too much power then they should, especially out in the WUI (Wildland Urban Interface).
The Following User Says Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (Today)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

Trade: DonDada
Rewards Points: 4

Thank you both for the input.

I, actually, sent an email to the licensing board this morning for some clarification.
At this point, there's definitely some arbitrary and capricious decision making from the FD.

Honestly, I don't entirely understand why, if my architect (I'm the business/property owner) and C-27 contractor both submit on this SIMPLE cyclone fence and rolling gate, the FD is jamming me up (AGAIN).

Actually, the FD issued the permit, and when I requested inspection, the permit tech said that I needed the installing contractor to submit the application via their portal (architect initially submit)... the contractor submit his info (file updated in their portal), and that's when the splitting of hairs ensued. The response I got was, "A minimum of a C-13 Fencing Contractor would be required for the gate construction. You may also hire a B or A licensed contractor. However, Contractor is only a C-27 landscape contractor and not licensed to construct fences or gates legally"

It seems pretty clear in the definition of the scope of the License that a fence and/or gate would be Kosher.

It's just one more grey hair...
Unread Today, 01:34 AM   #5
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 94

You can build a fence or gate if it's part of the overall landscaping contract. But you can't build a fence or gate is it's a stand alone in your contract. As far as I know.

Mike.