Deck Tension Tie At Two Points On Ledger? - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Deck Tension Tie At Two Points On Ledger?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 380

Deck Tension Tie At Two Points On Ledger?

On an l shaped deck where a ledger is attached at two different locations it is my assumption that a tension tie must be used twice on each ledger for a total of 4. Is this correct?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,594

Re: Deck Tension Tie At Two Points On Ledger?

If any at all.

Where are you located?

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,780

Probably only one side if, like Dan mentioned you even need it.

Some jurisdictions re interpreting this part of the code to mean that the lateral restraining devices are not a requirement but can be used instead of the standard 1/2" lags into ledger. Sounds weird since you will use the lags to ledger anyway I know. but there it is just the same.

I would go to the BD and ask them there for their interpretation and what they will require regarding this. You might just save a hell of a lot of time on this and any upcoming project like it.

Andy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (09-14-2014), greg24k (09-15-2014), hdavis (09-15-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Accountant/Builder
Rewards Points: 165

Two on each. Thats how I would do it.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

call me crazy but don't the perpendicular ledger attachments negate a need for any?????
Old 09-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkers5150 View Post
call me crazy but don't the perpendicular ledger attachments negate a need for any?????
Not necessarily. If the outside support beam fails on a deck it can literally rip the ledger off the house and take the rim with it. Obviously that's a BIG problem on most houses. A lateral tie to the interior joists transfer the load to the joists and it's a much stronger connection than the interior joist/rim connection.

In my area they have taken an interesting stance where they require them on unfinished basements but not on finished basements. I think they're totally unnecessary here with the proper application of uplift prevention on the exterior beam but I'm okay with having to install 2 on an unfinished basement. If they wanted them in finished basements, I'd be inclined to make a bit of a stink about it.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
always building

i'm sorry Ethan but i'm not following your logic??? the connections in question are designed for lateral stresses. An "outside beam failure" would cause catastrophic vertical failure that no rim joist or ledger is gonna stop
Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 390

Parker is correct.

In the SF bay area, lateral load connections are required. In fact, in SF, ledgers must be through bolted as well, no lags.

tim
Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #9
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
Probably only one side if, like Dan mentioned you even need it.

Some jurisdictions re interpreting this part of the code to mean that the lateral restraining devices are not a requirement but can be used instead of the standard 1/2" lags into ledger. Sounds weird since you will use the lags to ledger anyway I know. but there it is just the same.

I would go to the BD and ask them there for their interpretation and what they will require regarding this. You might just save a hell of a lot of time on this and any upcoming project like it.

Andy.
This is the best answer
Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
always building

on an L shaped deck with two ledgers (perpendicular) the deck is going to have to move the structure its attached to before it can move laterally
Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #11
Talking Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkers5150 View Post
i'm sorry Ethan but i'm not following your logic??? the connections in question are designed for lateral stresses. An "outside beam failure" would cause catastrophic vertical failure that no rim joist or ledger is gonna stop
There are plenty of failures where you'd be exactly right but there are some where the additional anchoring of joist-to-joist might be the difference between the deck falling, and taking the rim with it, or the deck just canting a bit and giving the HO enough time to have the situation rectified before catastrophic failure occurs. One example I can think of is that I frequently see either very shallow footings or columns that were installed with a bad lean and poor backfill. These can cause the deck to want to pull away from the ledger but it's a lateral stress, not vertical.

Anyway, I'll stop theorizing long enough to say that I think these things are just a PITA as I'm sure as hell installing my footings correctly. In the OP's case the L shape adds a ton of lateral reinforcement so they're probably overkill as well. For the $30 of hardware, I just shut my mouth and put them in.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #12
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
There are plenty of failures where you'd be exactly right but there are some where the additional anchoring of joist-to-joist might be the difference between the deck falling, and taking the rim with it, or the deck just canting a bit and giving the HO enough time to have the situation rectified before catastrophic failure occurs. One example I can think of is that I frequently see either very shallow footings or columns that were installed with a bad lean and poor backfill. These can cause the deck to want to pull away from the ledger but it's a lateral stress, not vertical.

Anyway, I'll stop theorizing long enough to say that I think these things are just a PITA as I'm sure as hell installing my footings correctly. In the OP's case the L shape adds a ton of lateral reinforcement so they're probably overkill as well. For the $30 of hardware, I just shut my mouth and put them in.
I would be ecstatic if it was just 30 dollars of hardware. But I'm mostly tieing into a second story rim board, so this means I will more then likely need to go into the ceiling inside the home. Turns 30 dollars worth of hardware into hundreds. Also basements are pretty much unheard of here.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #13
Talking Head

That's why I was so damn happy when they decided that they only want them on unfinished basements. If it was finished basements then it'd be at least another $500. You always have to paint the whole damn ceiling when you make a patch.

Have you looked into using a hole saw through the rim so you can get your hand in there to set the tie without having to open up the ceiling? I was wondering if this would fly if they ever start requiring them for finished spaces.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
always building

vertical
Old 09-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #15
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
That's why I was so damn happy when they decided that they only want them on unfinished basements. If it was finished basements then it'd be at least another $500. You always have to paint the whole damn ceiling when you make a patch.

Have you looked into using a hole saw through the rim so you can get your hand in there to set the tie without having to open up the ceiling? I was wondering if this would fly if they ever start requiring them for finished spaces.
According to the code book they only require a certain amount of lateral strength. As long as my engineer can achieve this lateral strength with other methods those lateral hold downs are not required. I've been able to achieve this, this way. Believe it or not lags alone can achieve this. But it takes an engineers signature/stamp to get it accepted.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
GC/carpenter

At the end of the day it all boils down to the AHJ.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:13 AM   #17
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,780

I think the real PITA is the requirement for the nailing at 6" oc to the joist with the devices.

Have to tear up a floor for that in many cases.

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck tension tie at two points on ledger?-lateral-hold-down.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (09-17-2014), greg24k (09-17-2014), Tinstaafl (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 03:59 AM   #18
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
I think the real PITA is the requirement for the nailing at 6" oc to the joist with the devices.

Have to tear up a floor for that in many cases.

Andy.
Couldn't agree with you more Andy... In order for the system to work it has to be done according to the design criteria.
When they came out with this and they encountered this issue, they started coming up with all kinds of fixes to go around the floor removal process.
NJ banned this idea all together, because there is so many methods which are less evasive and just as good and is much easier to install.

They keep coming out with all this gadgets, but in reality, if a hack is doing a deck, no matter what is out there, the deck or any structure will still fail... at the same time you take a well built deck done by a professional contractor, that deck is not going anywhere,this decks are still around and most of them outlast some of the decks you find today.
John Hyatt (09-17-2014), ScipioAfricanus (09-17-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #19

Trade: Deck and Porch
Rewards Points: 85

All they have to do is require the "builder" to wrap a strap from the sill plate around the rim joist and on top of interior joist before subfloor plywood and no rim joist will ever come off and we stop all this STUPID bracket BS that's been invented by manufacturers to sell product. Been building decks the same way for 30yrs. They are all still standing.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

IF holddowns back to house floor joists are required for permit,
and IF the house joists run parallel to your deck joists
and IF the ceiling below is finished,

here's a solution... requiring zero drywall work.

dproc, the bracket bs is strictly for retrofit applications. Straps would do an excellent job of locking the ledger down during framing stage, but that only works for new construction projects. And there's no easy way to replace the ledger after 30 years, not without cutting the straps and installing the new ledger differently.

Mac

Advertisement

Last edited by BuiltByMAC; 11-14-2014 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Do the pics show up now?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BuiltByMAC For This Useful Post:
Bone Saw (11-15-2014), Calidecks (11-14-2014), EthanB (11-14-2014), parkers5150 (11-14-2014)