Deck Fascia - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Deck Fascia

Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Deck Building
Rewards Points: 116

Deck Fascia

What are you guys using for fascia boards on your composite/pvc decks?

Are you just using the manufacturer's fascia? If so, what screws are you using, what screw pattern, and are you getting the wavy or ripple effect on your fascia over time

Are you using a couple pieces of decking? If so, again, what screws are you using, what screw pattern, and have you ever experienced screws breaking due to expansion or other factors?

Having a few call backs this spring due to fascia issues and screws snapping down the boards. Not sure if I want to go back to the half inch 1x12 fascia due to waving I've had in the past. Not sure if a tighter screw pattern helps with this (had screws 12" OC). Had been using 2 deck boards, face screwed with composite deck screws. No issues in the last 8 or so years building this way with a previous employer.

Not sure how to solve my issues, but am tired of throwing money away in repairs/warranty work.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #2
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,086

Re: Deck Fascia

Screw snapping happen often when you install facia when it's cold. Then when it warns up the boards expand. It's imperative you pay close attention to the gapping during cold days. I've found screw issues on decks that I installed in the winter. Don't butt tight unless it's over 65 or 70 outside. Imo.

I use the manufacturer fascia. The color matched screws I get from Star Fasteners Plus.

Great quality and decent prices.

https://www.starfastenersplus.com/Co...rews_c_18.html

Mike.

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
Screw snapping happen often when you install facia when it's cold. Then when it warns up the boards expand. It's imperative you pay close attention to the gapping during cold days. I've found screw issues on decks that I installed in the winter. Don't butt tight unless it's over 65 or 70 outside. Imo.

I use the manufacturer fascia. The color matched screws I get from Star Fasteners Plus.

Great quality and decent prices.

https://www.starfastenersplus.com/Co...rews_c_18.html

Mike.

Like I said, I've never seen this issue, but find it odd that I've had two jobs with the same issues within the last month. They were also built within a month or two of eachother. Might just be a freak thing, but I'm worried calls/emails will continue coming in...
The Following User Says Thank You to HammerSwing For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,032

I’m seeing a lot of miratec and Smart trim being used. They have to be painted and come primed. Smart trim is available in 1x and 5/4.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:40 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,462

I havent used the composite screws but I have had good success using the #7 & #8 SS trim screw with the smart bit system.

I wouldnt hesitate to Boral either. Paintable and stable
Old 05-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
I’m seeing a lot of miratec and Smart trim being used. They have to be painted and come primed. Smart trim is available in 1x and 5/4.
Are folks using it with composite decking and railings? I've used smart trim with cedar in the past, but never with composite. I'm afraid most of my customers wouldn't like having to paint it. I have a hard enough time explaining to them why they still have to stain their posts.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
I havent used the composite screws but I have had good success using the #7 & #8 SS trim screw with the smart bit system.

I wouldnt hesitate to Boral either. Paintable and stable
I've always been worried the trim screw will have issues with the fascia popping off due to the small head and no threads to help hold the board. I'm assuming you don't, but have you ever issues with this?

I've been considering the deckfast fascia screw and predrill system. Similar to your smart bit system, but a much larger head on the screw. Trim screws will hide much better
Old 06-06-2019, 05:42 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,462

No never a problem with boards popping off.

Oddly enough I did revisit a porch job this week where I trimmed everything in Boral and the cap ledges bowed. Very strange the material is supposed to be stable

Advertisement